Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can i lift 3 inches the rear part of a vw thing 1975????
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fransolis94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: How can i lift 3 inches the rear part of a vw thing 1975???? Reply with quote

Hi anyone knows how to lift 3 inches or more the rear part, any ideas???
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if referring to rear suspension

you can do reindexing of torsion bars. that would get you about 2.5" but would be riding on the stops and a very rough ride.

atomwerks makes raised plates that allow raising without reindexing.

they can make 3" raised plates. Locky here on forum has a set. not sure of impact on cv's and alignment

i have 2" raised plates from atomwerks. just installed. no problem with alignment or cv's

others may have some more ideas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fransolis94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It mas really helpful! Others ideas??
leftcoastpj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: 3" lift Reply with quote

I put huge torsion bars in my 181, 30mm I believe, and I agree you can get 2.5 inches from turning them, but I bought a 3" body lift from Up Your Bug in the 90's. It's basically an aluminum spacer that raises the body off the pan. It was necessary for me to run the paddle tires for the sand dunes and to keep them from rubbing the body.
Many issues with the body lift kit, steering and the engine to body seal need to be addressed. Easy to bolt the lift kit in, difficult to work out the car correctly.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a 3" body lift as well from Up Yer Bug. Definitely other items to consider as mentioned above.

besides affecting steering connection and engine seals, you have wiring and then your seats. They will be 3" lower inside the car. I removed the seat slide tracks and extended between the tracks and the seat frame bases.

it does get 3" all the way around, very time consuming. guess depends if you are just looking to raise the rear of the vehicle or the whole vehicle. the body lift will make more room for larger tires. it will not increase suspension travel.

good luck with the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: