Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

La Carrera Panamericana '56 oval (Skittles Race cars)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: La Carrera Panamericana '56 oval (Skittles Race cars) Reply with quote

Figured I'd share my new project with you guys... Picked up this 56 oval last night in Ohio. It raced and finished in the 96 La Carrera Mexican road race. I'm told there were 4 or 5 of these ovals built to race-each painted a different colored skittle. I ended up with "wild berry." I'm told a red one survived as well. Anyone have any info on these? I seem to recall a magazine article about them. I'd love to find out more information on this car! Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Quote:

Last edited by disneyherbie on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome, love the skittles patina on the fender.

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of that old rally sports racing...keep us posted, anything change on suspension? whats your plans? more pic please.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't even managed to get under the car yet. Just got it home last night and have prior engagements preventing me from getting to it today. I've driven the car and it seems to be incredibly tight and sorted suspension wise. Motor seems to have been tuned and runs like a scalded dog. I'll post some pics as I make progress.

Plans for now will be to put some rally type accessories on the car-headlight grilles, better driving lights up front, touch up some problem areas on the body, etc. Interior has a very stout rollcage. I'm told the car was originally from Mexico. Being that it's a '56 and has semaphores, it very well may be a euro export model. The birth certificate is on its way, which should shed some light on the car's history...
stashm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Can't wait to see more pics! I remember an article in one of the magazines with these beetles also! So cool! Congrats!
1964 Beetle Driver Project Red Bug
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be forever grateful if someone could help me track down that magazine article. I'm guessing it would be from around '96 in either HVWs or VWTrends. I'd love to see the article and pics on this! Thanks for your help gang...
stashm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look for it when I get home.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! I'm glad you remember the article too. Now I know I'm not crazy...
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting so I can track the thread, very interesting car.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Link

disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those videos! They were also listed on the bring a trailer writeup that was done earlier this week. The videos show 2 of the red "skittles"-both ovals-one a ragtop and one a hardtop!
stashm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 1997 hot vw magazine has an article.

disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I was going crazy wracking my brain on where I'd seen those skittles race bugs before. Now we know! That's definitely my car in the color group pic on the left there. Awesome!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/03/24/la-carrera-panamericana-veteran-1956-vw-beetle/

Did you see it on Bring-A-Trailer last week? My second favorite auto related website

Cool car
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ultra! Funny story about that... I first saw the car listed here on the samba. I work for Southwest Airlines and was going to be gone for 4 days straight. I called the seller and told him I'd buy the car sight unseen and we agreed on me picking it up the following weekend when I was done flying my trip. I about had a heart attack the next day when I saw BAT had also listed the car! As predicted he was inundated with calls from all over the country to buy the car, but fortunately for me he was a good guy and considered the car sold already. Talk about a stressful week though...
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing the car, think you'll be able to bring it to Flanders?
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! All depends on my work schedule. I'm hopeful I can make this years Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix too.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are following this, I was lucky enough to get some info from a participant who drove one of the VWs in the LCP that remembered some great details about the skittles cars. I'll post it below...

"This car is in fact the “real deal”. There was a “commemorative” four car team put together by Carl Schneider a Honda automobile dealer from the Midwest who decided to “semi-retire” with a couple of dealerships in Eureka, CA. In “honor” of the original Volkswagen team that ran in the original La Carerra. The commemorative team had the “blessing” of the event organizer Eduardo ‘LoLo” Deleon and his American attaché Loyal Truesdale. Carl Schneider obtained some “sponsorship” dollars from the M&M NASCAR team; the four cars were built in Tuxtla, where the La Carerra started; each of the four cars were painted the color of a Skittles candy and each of the four cars were given several boxes of Skittles candy to be distributed by the participants to the spectators at the lunch stops and/or park ferme at day’s end, The cars were obviously “junk yard dogs” and with only 35hp you could never keep up with the other cars in the event and would arrive at the lunch stop or park ferme at day’s end long after all the festivities were done! I ran the event in one of the Skittle cars with Ted Stevens a Northern California Honda dealer; however after day three ended in Guadalajara, we handed the keys to Carl Schnieder and left; which worked out fine because another of the Skittle cars blew an engine; So much for the $10k all inclusive La Carerra – arrive and drive. We, Ted and I returned in 2001 in the Henry J , which had previously ran and finished in the top 3 0r 4 with a young “hot shoe” driver in the early 1990′s – much more fun."
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool story. I'm dying to see this car now. I'll stop up this week.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a thread going on in the tire forum. I'd love some opinions on tires for this thing. I have a new set of Porsche style wide 5s in silver en route...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=590741
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: