Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

La Carrera Panamericana '56 oval (Skittles Race cars)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggman95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow what a cool car! Good luck with it, I'd like to see it at some PA/NJ Shows too : ]
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry! I'm redoing some things on the car now that need attention. Hoping to have the car up and running again for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix in July...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been busy working on the car sorting out some things, so I figured I'd post a progress pic. The car didn't really give off a vintage "oval" vibe to me when I got it, so I've been doing my best to rectify that.

I put the missing Wolfsburg crest back on the car in addition to some stainless headlamp guards from JOGR. I think they really helped with the rally look. I was able to salvage the fluted Mexi lenses and replaced the headlights with H4 units. I'm still planning on adding some vintage looking 6 inch round driving lamps up front to round off the look I'm going for. The bumpers were mismatched when I got it, so I ordered a couple of new euro blades with guards since my car was originally a euro export model with semaphores.

I'm also in the process of re-wiring everything and going through the suspension. I have already put on an NOS vintage camber compensator out back along with some Superior control arm bars. Up front I still need to install a 3/4" sway bar and will be running Koni red Special D adjustables on all four corners. The chromies have seen better days, so I have a set of new silver painted Porsche style Mangels on the way in 5.5" all the way around. Probably going to go with 185/65r15s for a little extra contact patch. Stay tuned...

The plate I had made up using a euro/Mexi style plate. Vocho is slang for beetle in Mexico and 282 was the car's entry number in the Carrera Panamericana..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Applause

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the direction your going..Keep posting pics...show what work you have done to the underside as well.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
stashm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Nice! Cant wait to see more pics!
1964 Beetle Driver Project Red Bug
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the car, think you'll be able to bring it to Flanders?

Yes this is cool! Please bring it to Flanders.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's been awhile since I've updated. Got some things sorted on the oval and it's coming along nicely. Inside, I've put in new carpet, rollbar padding, and generally just cleaned things up and replaced broken handles, knobs, etc

Exterior wise, car is now rolling on a set of new 5.5 steel wide 5s powder coated silver. 195/65-15 Falken Ziex tires all around as well as a set of new Koni Special D adjustable shocks (huge improvement in handling) Also installed a 3/4" swaybar up front. New round auxiliary lights, as well as euro bumpers all around. Wiring is sorted. Ended up replacing the burned out headlight switch with a quality Wolfsburg West unit and now everything works as it should. I plan on reinstalling the semaphores at some point too. Car previously suffered an engine fire, so I touched up the area under the rear window as well as the decklid. It's not done yet, but it's getting there...

disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool.. I am looking at buiding a La Carrera car alongside another VW project I am working 2015.. cage, fuel cell and suspesnion brakes photos info much appreciated..
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice for a FORUM for rally VW's only. especially pic strong, I like em all..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly, two of these four cars sat at a warehouse outside of the Columbus airport for years...

disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from the actual race in Mexico back in 1996.

And here's how #282 looks these days on display last summer at a Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix display...

greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure which one you ended up with, but there are/were 2 skittles cars in my neck of the woods. one in Mansfield and one in Shelby just a few miles down the road. that's a great find either way.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the one that came out of Mansfield. I'm just over the Ohio border in PA. The red one is still in Shelby. The other two cars from the 4 car team went on to compete in historic rallyes overseas, but haven't been heard from since...
greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a cool story. thanks for sharing.
Packdynasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: La Carrera Panamericana '56 oval (Skittles Race cars) Reply with quote

Hi- I was fortunate enough to drive the BLUE Skittles VW in the 1997 Alpine Rally. I picked up car in London and had to floorboard- in the rain- on the left side of the road- all the way to Dover to make the crossing just in time! Flat out and the tiny slow wipers. Started by winning class in the autocross in Switzerland. (even though passenger door kept opening on hard right turns) They really thought my wife and I knew what we were doing because VW had more SKITTLES and Rally stickers all over it- NOT driven by us. Woefully unprepared- no flashlight or interior lights, don't speak or read French or Swiss, no compass and there was no GPS or cell phones back then. Almost got divorced when stuck out on mountain- middle of night- no houses or trees or lights or signs or traffic except some large animals. Miracles prevailed and we took the right turns and ended up at host hotel and not that far off on time. We had to climb a grade in Italian Alps that was straight up to get to top- VW did 120 KPH in England but we were down to 20 mph and floored! All in All in was a memorable experience and had a great time and met some awesome other drivers and still married. The red VW blew engine shortly after 'The CLIMB" up to Italian top. Not sure where cars are today but probably Europe
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: La Carrera Panamericana '56 oval (Skittles Race cars) Reply with quote

What a cool car! I just heard your interview with Bill T on the “Let’s Talk Dubs” podcast.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: La Carrera Panamericana '56 oval (Skittles Race cars) Reply with quote

Awesome thread a Rally themed bug is my next project. It will be a Rally looking car but not raced (I am a lousy driver in the dirt), I have done the Cal Look thing the Stock/Vintage thing so this is naturally the next step. Plan on a 64 or 65 as they are a lot for sale in my area and not all that expensive. Very Happy
Packdynasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: La Carrera Panamericana '56 oval (Skittles Race cars) Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: