Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Squareback.... To do the beam conversion or not?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
golden age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info! much appreciated. got a friend who is wanting to run wide five on his later model square so we're going to trade mine for his so we won't really be out a lot of cash which is always good!

Bobnotch wrote:
golden age wrote:
wanting to run 4.5 Fuchs up front with deep 6's on the rear. I'm guessing I'll need short axles in the rear to fit those wheels correct? and leaning towards no bug beam conversion 👍. don't want to change how great it rides and handles.

Yup, you'll probably have to go with 64 and ealier bug axles and tubes, and then have the snout of the rear hub cut down. If you do a search, you'll find all of the various parts needed to do the short axle conversion.

Yes, I'm all for keeping a t-3 beam in a t-3. They just ride so much nicer, even when lowered. My son went with 195-50's to get his t-3 closer to the ground up front, but keeping the width to help the car handle. Yes, the shorter side wall does try to harshen the ride a little, but he's happy with it. He's also got 8 spokes on it, which is really the wrong offset for the car, but with the 195-50's, they actually clear the fender lip (he's at least 3 splines down).
golden age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my car is a good height now and doesn't rub at all so i'm hoping to keep it that way with the new wheel setup. will post a pic of mine when i figure out how. don't think the samba likes safari Wink

Notch wrote:
golden age wrote:
ok great. is anyone out there running these size Fuchs with their factory setup? I just don't see many squares lowered with a stock setup. they all seem to go the big beam route. I'm guessing that's mostly to go lower and still achieve the same turning radius?

I am curious about the turning radius as I would think when you move the tire in that it would rub the inner fender panels and not allow you to turn as sharply.
[/img]
miomio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbomicrowaves wrote:
You have to take into account wheel offset, tire size and suspension height. Are you considering the new empi wide five fuchs or the older AEW fuchs? What size tires are you planning on running?

Not trying to hijack or anything, but, what's "older AEW fuchs"? Pics any one?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just Google'd AEW Fuchs to find this etc.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6885116-...sche-Bolts
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miomio wrote:
turbomicrowaves wrote:
You have to take into account wheel offset, tire size and suspension height. Are you considering the new empi wide five fuchs or the older AEW fuchs? What size tires are you planning on running?

Fuchs replica made by American Eagle Wheels (AEW)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
golden age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing people would vote more for the flat four vs American eagle? Or am I wrong? The link below is what I was looking at:

http://www.piersideparts.net/CB4813.html

BSQUARE wrote:
miomio wrote:
turbomicrowaves wrote:

Fuchs replica made by American Eagle Wheels (AEW)
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the detailed black & silver AEW wheels that look like the original Porsche Fuchs wheels. All polished aluminum flat four wheels do not compare IMHO.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat 4 have +45 offsets available so there's no trouble running those in 4.5 and 5.5 wide at the rear combo. There's also the 6j x 15 in +35 mm offsets which might be tempting for the rear for that deeper dish but I doubt they'll work without scrubbing the fender lip if the car were sitting low.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Flat 4 have +45 offsets available so there's no trouble running those in 4.5 and 5.5 wide at the rear combo. There's also the 6j x 15 in +35 mm offsets which might be tempting for the rear for that deeper dish but I doubt they'll work without scrubbing the fender lip if the car were sitting low.

That's the key with a type 3, you have to pay attention to offsets especially when lowered.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
golden age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. so you think that even when i run short axles on the rear the deep 6 fuchs will rub?

does anyone know the dimensions/offset for the deep 6 fuchs?

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wanna check out the Pelican parts forum for wheel tables for genuine Porsche wheels otherwise the 6jx15 flat 4 +35 I referenced above is what they call the deep 6. It's all on their site. http://www.flat4.co.jp/english/dtail-dr.html
I'm pretty certain the deep 6 will not scrub outer lip with short axles but the inner shock tower might need modification since the inner wall of the tyre is known to scrub the top bump stop area when doing short axle conversions with some wheel/tyre/ride height combinations.
golden age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. i do like those deep dish wheels on the rear. the tires i'm thinking of running are 185/65 15. you still think there will be a shock tower issue with those?

and i'm guessing pelican parts sells the same as flat4 in japan correct? would much rather pay shipping from the states that from japan.

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
You wanna check out the Pelican parts forum for wheel tables for genuine Porsche wheels otherwise the 6jx15 flat 4 +35 I referenced above is what they call the deep 6. It's all on their site. http://www.flat4.co.jp/english/dtail-dr.html
I'm pretty certain the deep 6 will not scrub outer lip with short axles but the inner shock tower might need modification since the inner wall of the tyre is known to scrub the top bump stop area when doing short axle conversions with some wheel/tyre/ride height combinations.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the empi 5.5 fuchs on the rear with a short axle conversion. The inner lip of the rim will rub the shock tower. However, this only happens when going really really low. I have an air ride system so it rubs when going from fully aired out to ride height. I have some BBS RS rims that I will be switching to and those do not rub because of the offset that I have.

The deep 6 has a good offset for the short axle conversion and shouldn't rub.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
golden age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking at the fuchs that john (hans) on the samba sells. looks like his fuchs are empi's and he does offer deep 6 wheels. have you heard anything bad about empi fuch repops? or is that what you're running? i know some people want what's official and correct but not all of us can afford original porsche wheels Wink and do you have a type 3? thanks for the info.

supersuk wrote:
I have the empi 5.5 fuchs on the rear with a short axle conversion. The inner lip of the rim will rub the shock tower. However, this only happens when going really really low. I have an air ride system so it rubs when going from fully aired out to ride height. I have some BBS RS rims that I will be switching to and those do not rub because of the offset that I have.

The deep 6 has a good offset for the short axle conversion and shouldn't rub.
turbomicrowaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Empi fuchs are nice reproductions, I've never heard of anyone having any problems with them other than maybe the clear coat peeling off. Also, it's fairly common to run spacers with porsche wheels to keep them from rubbing the inner fender/shock tower.

"There are no pieces"

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
golden age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my wheels in, center caps in and just ordered drums, rotors and adapters. wide five to porsche pattern conversion coming soon. will post pics of before and after. thanks for everyone who gave their input and help.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why you're running adapters instead of the correct bolt pattern? Maybe I missed something, but i'm pretty sure you could've drilled your drums and hubs to have the 5x130mm. The front brake rotors are available with the 5x130mm holes already.

I thought I recently read on one thread that running long axles with the wide 5 to 5x130 made the rims rub the fender.

Btw, to answer your question - Yes, I have the EMPI fuch repops on my 68 fastback. I have short axles in the rear and that makes the 5.5 wide rims rub the rear subframe snubber stop on the top. I do have bags though, so if you're not lowering to the extreme, then you might not have to worry about it.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best front tire i've used on a low t3 is 185/55/15.

4.5 fronts and deep 6 rears you can run 185/55/15 and 185/65/15(or 195/65/15).

i ran 5.5 fuchs all around my square 4 spline front/2-3 spline rear direct drilled rotors up front and adapters out back.

i don't know where you are in nc but i'm over in hickory and am really good with fitting different tire/wheels on vw's esp t3s. my square has been through 6 wheel changes and has #7 hanging on the garage wall.

my square is now t1 converted with a -5" beam running sprint star repops. 145/65/15 - 185/65/15 combo. i;m probably only an inch or so lower than before the beam swap. the biggest advantage to the bream swap is you gain about 2" of beam clearance when you lose the bottom beam mounts. my front apron is now the lowest point instead of the bottom mounts. well i guess i should say was since the square has been sitting in the driveway wrecked for a year now.

oh and ps the fuch you mention are NOT WIDE 5. they are 5x130mm. WIDE 5 is 5x205mm...
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and my t1 converted rides just as good as my 4 spline dropped t3 did. probably not as good as a stock t3 but i guess i don't know because i don't drive stock shit.

my '62 f100 has jaguar xjs suspension notched 3" into the frame. it sits about 10" lower than it did in stock form......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: