Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90.5's or 94's?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well spence, Ive been taking vitiman b lately and my pee is super yellow Shocked was that also covered???butt as far as the cylinders going out of round...that may be the installers issues.Ive only pulled appart 1 vw that had all the tin in place Shocked go figure. I only use type 3 lower tins on my stuff(with some mods). I dont have a clue as to how far out of round my thinwall berg 90.5's are but they have almost no blowby at all probably 2% max. my 94's also had about the same. but I could see if the tins were not there you could have some cylinder bendage at warp speed. jetting can also cause issues.as I reckon heads that have been flycut all to hell and not spreading the stud/nut clamping forces out as much. there are many things that could cause it.and a blanket statement that "94's warp too much" is just plain stupid. but in my defence.....any is too much so... Wink if you have an issue it's probably self induced.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put .i don't know how many people I meet at vw shows here in ohio that get on a forum on samba and get treated badly they just don't go on samba because of how badly they were treated .this forum was high jacked . By some and they know who they are . They have no respect for others that's what's wrong with the USA know wonder we are not liked around the world .one can disagree with some one . With out being a jerk about it .think how boring it would be if we all agreed with each other about every things .every one likes a little ass but no one likes a smart ass lol lol now be nice to each other or everttb will put you in a time out corner lol spencerfvee quote="Splitdog"]ALL internet forums are the same. It could be a nice, wealth of info, but instead is usually run by a gang of 'regulars' who beat on people who's ideas are not the same, or don't have sufficient knowledge. Then it's only a matter of time before it devolves into penises and name-calling. I'm glad I have real sources to get my info. Cool[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does anyone give a shit? If it works for you, great. Keep using them. If they don't, try something else.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats how oh somany good parts end up in the scrap pile.if it dosent work find out why...or like history does it will repeat it's self Shocked like they guy that just keeps burning up all these faulty crank's.. Wink ..... Idea if you cant or dont know how to find the issue Shocked find somebody that does/can.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark I went to the shop and look what I found Aand A 94s and A and A 90.5s .mark the 90.5s have 19 fins. Now for the 94s 123456789 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 and 19 see pictures coming soon spencerfvee[quote="mark tucker"]thats how oh somany good parts end up in the scrap pile.if it dosent work find out why...or like history does it will repeat it's self Shocked like they guy that just keeps burning up all these faulty crank's.. Wink ..... Idea if you cant or dont know how to find the issue Shocked find somebody that does/can.[img
][/img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 8 times in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I beleave the fin part but not the god part Shocked Ive had diferent makers of the same size with diferent fin counts(I like the countchalckula my self).but what about the type 4 cylinders with even less finnage?????I think finnage is a little over rated for the most part.now if your running a 24 hour race then yes they make quite a diff in weather you might finish or wont finish the race in 24 hours.but for most other apps I just dont see it if your cooling system and tune are right. Wink but even with the most fins and a bad tune and faulty cooling system.....your screwed...prpbably by yourself or your "ex~spert" builder buddy.
if you think about it the 94's with a longer oh never mind.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same amount of fins, yes but count from the top down fins 7 8 and 9, the 94 has much less fin area. Is that a problem, I have no idea but I now know what Racer Dave is getting at.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi if you look at the 90.5 cyl it does not have that much more fin sticking up on 7 8 9 fin .when I go to the shop I will take a reading on how much taller the 90.5 cly fin is that will tell the story male 85.5 cly has 19 fins .to .. I really don't feal that the 94 cly is all that bad just my two cents .i talked to a guy that builds a lot of off the road 1915 or 1916 for the over seas guys lol he says he has good luck with the 1915 motors he has about 23 of them that are still going strong after 5 years some 4 years that's just his two cents too .spencerfvee..too
dsrtfox wrote:
Same amount of fins, yes but count from the top down fins 7 8 and 9, the 94 has much less fin area. Is that a problem, I have no idea but I now know what Racer Dave is getting at.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark your so funny .all ism trying to do is help the guy that posted on here by showing him what the differnts is between a 90.5 or a 94 then he can make up his own mind what he wants to run in his motor mark I am thank full that this is not about cams lol I hope I can help this guy out peace spencerfvee
mark tucker wrote:
well I beleave the fin part but not the god part Shocked Ive had diferent makers of the same size with diferent fin counts(I like the countchalckula my self).but what about the type 4 cylinders with even less finnage?????I think finnage is a little over rated for the most part.now if your running a 24 hour race then yes they make quite a diff in weather you might finish or wont finish the race in 24 hours.but for most other apps I just dont see it if your cooling system and tune are right. Wink but even with the most fins and a bad tune and faulty cooling system.....your screwed...prpbably by yourself or your "ex~spert" builder buddy.
if you think about it the 94's with a longer oh never mind.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
Hi if you look at the 90.5 cyl it does not have that much more fin sticking up on 7 8 9 fin .when I go to the shop I will take a reading on how much taller the 90.5 cly fin is that will tell the story male 85.5 cly has 19 fins .to .. I really don't feal that the 94 cly is all that bad just my two cents .i talked to a guy that builds a lot of off the road 1915 or 1916 for the over seas guys lol he says he has good luck with the 1915 motors he has about 23 of them that are still going strong after 5 years some 4 years that's just his two cents too .spencerfvee..too
dsrtfox wrote:

Top stuff! You can bet that evidently successful 1916cc engine builder won't be "counting fins" or looking for any other lame excuses to tell his customers why he can't make a simple 1916 hold together Laughing

Now, I'm heading off to with my too-hot, wonky-potted, 25-percent-blow-by-because-I-read-it-on-the net, the-sky-is-falling 1916 AGAIN at another couple of motorsport events this weekend. Cheerio!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

things are changing so fast these days it's hard to keep up with what is what and what the quality is one day to the next.but so far most of what I have seen as far as issues are self inflected.....and that comes in many ways.doo's,donts,wonts,cants,rants,and a host of other miss understandings and miss conceptions, and miss contraceptions.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I found out today I think the pictures tell it like it is the bottom 10 fins are the same on the 90.5 and the 94s . From the top down 1 st fin on the 90.50 is 139 thou. Taller than the 94 s the 2 nd fin is 164 thou. Bigger than the 94 s the 3 rd fin is 405 thou bigger that the. 94 s the 4 the fin is 535 thou.bigger than the 94 s the 5 ft finis 242 thou. Bigger than the 94s and 6 the is 363 thou. Bigger than a 94 here's the info. You pick what you want to run in your motor my self I would run both of them ..allways remember that the heads cool most of the motor . I allways try to run heads that are after market like mofoco heads that have more cooling fins on them and are made thicker so when you open the heads up for 94 s or 90.5 s you have a lot of thickness left to cool the heads and cyls. Allso I like CB heads .i try to stay away from stocks heads when using big bore cyls . Allso remember that the in comming fuel from the carbs help cool the motor so don't run lean on your carbs that's it I am done don't want to high jack this forum . Remember it's just my two cents on what one should run in there motor peace spencerfvee ote="dsrtfox"]Same amount of fins, yes but count from the top down fins 7 8 and 9, the 94 has much less fin area. Is that a problem, I have no idea but I now know what Racer Dave is getting at.[/quote][img]
[/img]
[img]img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1281273.jpg[/img][/img]img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1281273.jpg[/img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spence, your top photo says it all Surprised
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? are you guys fricken nuts???? cant you see that one of those cylinders is shineyer than the other??? just like chrome the shiney one will run hotter Shocked I think if you sand blast the crap out of them they will cool better. I dont know why the 94's have a diferent fin setup at the top fins,I had noticed that on the aa cylinders, was it on pourpose? or just done that way wth no thinken???or like my spellen... Shocked or did somebody figure out with the thickness of that size cylinder it stays rounder with the newer style less finnage at the top.?? just because you eyes see something and your brain thinks something dosent make it so. missconceptions are vast and wide spread.we might want to ask somebody that realy knows like an... wait hear it comes......an Engineer.. Shocked .Wink Twisted Evil Idea ...or not.. there are many things that cant bee seen,heard or easely understanded... undderstood?? comprehended. seeing isant always the tell all and or the right thing your brain tells you.possiably we need to use our left brain. test results can tell the tale,but.....thats kinda hard to do unless somebody has a pile of cash and builds many identicle engines with only finnage changed. and all run the exzact same conditions and times. pretty much like industrail engines. than at 1000 hours pull them all appart and see what is what.then try to figure out why and then what. I for my self dont give a shit there is nothing I can do about it. execpt for make my own cylinders....and then try to sort them out& refine them....not gonna happen this late in the game. so in the end what do we have?? tune it right,prep the cooling system so it works the best it can..then roll the dice and holler craps!! Wink .
projectile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just couldn't stand it any longer. I had a secondhand 92mm and a secondhand 94mm cylinder in the garage. Both were cleaned in the same parts cleaner for the same amount of time. I washed the solvent off of the cylinders with water, then used compressed air to dry each cylinder. To be sure, I placed them next to each other in a sunny spot whilst I preheated the oven to 350 degrees F.
Now I placed the cylinders side by side on a tray on the middle shelf of the oven with the largest fins to the top. I left them to bake for 60 minutes exactly. I then took the tray into the spare room. I had pre prepared the room by closing all the windows, drawing the curtains so there were no drafts or air flowing through the room. I placed the tray with the cylinders on a coffee table in the middle of the room and closed the door behind me and waited 5 minutes before returning to the room to measure the temperature of each cylinder.
You wound not believe the results! The 94mm cylinder was 3 degrees F hotter.
Now I'm no scientist, but the 92mm cylinder dissipated the heat faster.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if that was a serious post, but the method you used will not even indicate cooling capacity.
They probably weigh differently and that means more.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

projectile wrote:
I just couldn't stand it any longer. I had a secondhand 92mm and a secondhand 94mm cylinder in the garage. Both were cleaned in the same parts cleaner for the same amount of time. I washed the solvent off of the cylinders with water, then used compressed air to dry each cylinder. To be sure, I placed them next to each other in a sunny spot whilst I preheated the oven to 350 degrees F.
Now I placed the cylinders side by side on a tray on the middle shelf of the oven with the largest fins to the top. I left them to bake for 60 minutes exactly. I then took the tray into the spare room. I had pre prepared the room by closing all the windows, drawing the curtains so there were no drafts or air flowing through the room. I placed the tray with the cylinders on a coffee table in the middle of the room and closed the door behind me and waited 5 minutes before returning to the room to measure the temperature of each cylinder.
You wound not believe the results! The 94mm cylinder was 3 degrees F hotter.
Now I'm no scientist, but the 92mm cylinder dissipated the heat faster.

BUZINGA!
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howdy yamaduchi!!!!I think that guy is an engineer.....but he would need to repeat this 12 times with 13 diferent cylinders. then do it all over with the pistons in the cylinders Shocked .then he can stroke it to see of they get any hotter...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: