Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burley's Suspension "Meisterwerk"
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Syncroincity wrote:
Those are Whiteline bushings...

No they aren't.

Mario is correct.
Burley turns his own.
I have them, no assumption.
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with Burl about these a couple of weeks ago, I have junk at his shop need to get up there to retrieve it. Have a set of his 16" trailing arms already now need those adjustable spring seats....Nice! Note to self bring Benjamin's on road trip to BMS! Looks like Burl opened up the CV opening how high are you going lift your Van?
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Those look great!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Awesome! Those look great!

Hey Chris,
Your latest fancy stoppers would really make these arms pop Exclamation
What a combo that would be, wowzers.
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this is my engine in combination with Burley's suspension:

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great package but, I would have concerns about the proximity of the exhaust muffler being so close to power steering pump, accessory drive belt do you have plans to install a heat shield? What transmission are you using?
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeohsix wrote:
Looks like a great package but, I would have concerns about the proximity of the exhaust muffler being so close to power steering pump, accessory drive belt do you have plans to install a heat shield? What transmission are you using?

I am using the original syncro transmission. Not sure about the heat but will keep an eye on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice EE20.
Looking forward to seeing the Diesel Syncro run and drive with Burley's suspension.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look and concept of the trailing arms. I'm just about all in! I have one concern. I'm probably being paranoid. I am building a Syncro, hightop, Diesel, heavy rig. A dirt bike will be on the back bumper. I'm apprehensive having the weight of the Syncro with a dirt bike hanging bearing down on those pivot points. Do you think the efficiency of the design will offset the nature of what the old perch did? It is such a high performance design. I love it. Will it work well in heavy work horse situations? It is a beautiful piece it just might not like my application? Does anybody have any experience with the pivots in a heavy rig?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
I love the look and concept of the trailing arms. I'm just about all in! I have one concern. I'm probably being paranoid. I am building a Syncro, hightop, Diesel, heavy rig. A dirt bike will be on the back bumper. I'm apprehensive having the weight of the Syncro with a dirt bike hanging bearing down on those pivot points. Do you think the efficiency of the design will offset the nature of what the old perch did? It is such a high performance design. I love it. Will it work well in heavy work horse situations? It is a beautiful piece it just might not like my application? Does anybody have any experience with the pivots in a heavy rig?

The man to pose that question to.. is Burl, himself.
Call him.. He likes to talk about this stuff.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Yes they are "only" pivot points but the original rubber pivot point bushing seemed to take more of the shock out of the connection than the urethane ones do.

The adjusters may have a small effect on road harshness, but I doubt it. I believe they are more for ride height adjustment.

What I love about the springs he provided is they aren't progressive, and u like that because, as far as I know, progressive shocks do not exist.

Companies like to sell progressive springs because they maintain ride height without sacrificing quality(at least thats the story) but I have a really hard time believing you can get the best ride when your spring rate varies with every bump while you shock rate does not!

With the setup you have, the spring rate will remain consistent while allowing you to select your desired shock rate.

Of course Burley knows this from his extensive experience building and piloting his own off road machines, whereas a desk jockey can barely tell a coil spring from a doughnut.

Actually all the current high end off road race trucks and buggies run very progressive suspensions. They accomplish this with multiple sets of springs and multiple bypass tubes on the shocks.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
Will it work well in heavy work horse situations? It is a beautiful piece it just might not like my application? Does anybody have any experience with the pivots in a heavy rig?

Burley is very open to doing custom work for customers if you feel it isn't up to the task. Some of the features on his products are from collaborative efforts with customers in the past. I would call him and discuss options.
http://burleysmotorsports.com
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll call him. I spoke to him about a some brake hardware I bought a few weeks ago. He is great. He mentioned he was getting in some new shocks. I'll ask him. I never doubt his quality. His stuff is always over built. I love that pivot base. keeping the spring base aligned makes perfect sense. I'll ask him what loads he feels it can handle. That is a sweet looking swing arm. I wasn't posing the question to bring doubt to his product. I just didn't want to be the guy who is using race bits when I should be using tractor parts. I was curious if anybody had them in a heavy rig application. I'll go to the source and report back. Hopefully it's, I ordered a set!
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Burley, always a good conversation. He felt they would hold up fine.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
I spoke to Burley, always a good conversation. He felt they would hold up fine.

The dude can build stuff.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! those are sweet. I'm almost thinking of repainting my syncro to match those haha. I wonder if Burley would do different colors.
Enjoy Wink
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroBilly wrote:
Wow! those are sweet. I'm almost thinking of repainting my syncro to match those haha. I wonder if Burley would do different colors.
Enjoy Wink

Ask him... he offered different colors for my standard-perch 16s.. That's all in the powdercoat... but I chickened out and went with low profile black.

I am bummed I did not get the bitchen BMW laser-cut logo dealie-bobs tack welded on mine.. but he sent me a set later to install where ever I'd like.

danfromsyr wrote:
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heim joints are the most important for strength/durability of the pivot perch.

Myself and a few others have 6000+ Syncro vans with them installed.
No issues with mine and only one issue that I know of to date.
The heim failure was with the older version joints that were first used many many years ago.

Just as with the upper control arm heim joints, boots help keep dirt out and the grease in.

Burley has all of the parts needed to build heavy duty rear arms plus many other parts.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InSyncro, thanks for the feedback. That is what I wanted to hear. Do you have photos of the boots?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: