Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sell or Part Out
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKE381
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Sell or Part Out Reply with quote

I have a 1973 Thing. Low miles, new 1914 engine, dual Empi 44 carbs, new top, roll bar, new side curtains, rebuilt transmission, heater works great, lots of other misc new parts. The problem is the body needs some work. Looks ok for the most part. Small dent in a fender, looks like someone ran over a rock that got up into the metal under the back seat. Paint is krylon orange. Uggg!

So I'm trying to decide if I should sell whole, or if it would be worth it to disassemble and sell the parts. Looks like from the for sale postings on here and on ebay, they just aren't going for much more than $5000. I have a ton in it, but it was a hobby and I never expected to get anything out of it.

So..... what say ye Thing experts?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you could put a driver quality paint job for a couple thousand and have a $10,000 car. If you take a few parts off and do most of the prep you can save a lot. Then see what a shop would charge to spray it. Parting out you would sell a few parts quickly then sat on every thing else for awhile. If you still want a Thing what will it cost to get one better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TKE381
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron my plan is to sell it and take care of some other projects. In a few years I'd like to just find a perfect already restored thing or ghia. I just took on running a family farm and simply don't have time now. I love my thing and would like to pass it on to someone else who will appreciate it. Woud like some $$ though Wink
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're eager to sell it, the fastest money is selling it complete as an ugly driver. You'll probably get the most serious offers putting it here on TheSamba.

Parting it and selling it piecemeal might generate more money, but you're going to be selling parts for a LONG time, not to mention all of your labor to remove the parts and send them off to their new owners.

It seems like there are a lot of nice Things with asking prices hovering around $7-10k, and some with asking prices a lot higher than that. Of course, they don't have a "krylon" paint job. You may want to explore the option of having a local shop give yours some nicer paint. Assuming your body isn't too rough, less than $1000 could get you some pretty nice paint and a significant boost in value.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: