Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advantages of MAG shank
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Advantages of MAG shank Reply with quote

Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me of the use of the MAG shank? I can't understand how they could align the rim with the hub as well as a tapered seat does.

Thanks in advance!
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no advantage, it depends on what the wheel was designed to use.
Most all Mag Wheels use a shank or shoulder design as most Steel Wheels use taper fit.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own experience with mag shanks is that they don't center on the hub well and loosen up (Via a soft washer) so I assume there must be something to counter act these disadvantages. Factory aluminum rims don't use MAG shanks so maybe it is a carry over from actual magnesium rims being brittle.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high horsepower situations the shanks transfers the power into the center of the rim along the length of the stud instead to the seat of the bolt or nut. The steel shank is there to protect the softer aluminum from being beat up but the threaded stud.

brad
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the force explanation would be a good trade off to having loose wheels that are not perfectly centered. Very Happy A weaker rim would not be able to stay put with friction against the hub I image. Sometimes I consider using draglite rims but my HP aspirations are going to be under 120 HP so the MAG shanks are going to be a lot of over kill with no advantage.

Thanks for your expertise!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: