Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1966 Fastback build up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Evilgtiguy wrote:
I keep hearing how nice these engines are in stock for over and over and hearing it here is enough to convince me to just refresh it. I figured that I would just upgrade a few things but you guys are right. Build it stock to get familiar with how the car should be.

That's why I post here. Thanks!

I'm putting the body work on hold for now and focusing on mechanical until I collect body panels.

I've got several stock engines in my "fleet" of type 3s, and I really do like them. They'll cruise all day long at 70+, and give decent mileage. And if you run along at 88 km (55mph), you'll really get your mileage numbers up. The nice thing about staying close to stock, is that you can still get what you need off the shelf. Once you start increasing the sizes, then you're special ordering stuff.
Personally, I'd re-fresh the engine, and try it. If you don't like it, find another case and build it larger. Or you could convert to a TDI or something like that (yes, it's already been done on here). Twisted Evil Here's a pic.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fixed it for you Bob. And, outside of a full blown mod, I concur with the prevailing viewpoint... stock is better for many reasons.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Evilgtiguy wrote:
I keep hearing how nice these engines are in stock for over and over and hearing it here is enough to convince me to just refresh it. I figured that I would just upgrade a few things but you guys are right. Build it stock to get familiar with how the car should be.

That's why I post here. Thanks!

I'm putting the body work on hold for now and focusing on mechanical until I collect body panels.

I've got several stock engines in my "fleet" of type 3s, and I really do like them. They'll cruise all day long at 70+, and give decent mileage. And if you run along at 88 km (55mph), you'll really get your mileage numbers up. The nice thing about staying close to stock, is that you can still get what you need off the shelf. Once you start increasing the sizes, then you're special ordering stuff.
Personally, I'd re-fresh the engine, and try it.

Fixed it for you Bob. And, outside of a full blown mod, I concur with the prevailing viewpoint... stock is better for many reasons.

Thanks, I was think 62 mph, or 100kph, but I transposed some of my numbers I guess. But, it shows how long it's been since I've been across the river to Canada. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I brought the car home from my dealership today. They were re-paving the lot so it had to be moved. Now I'll just have to bring parts to and from home for cleaning etc. I'm going to disassemble the engine completely and bag/ box everything. I'm still cleaning the components that I took off and taking my time.

That cruising speed sounds just fine because I want to enjoy driving this car one day on a nice back road in the country. My wife saw the seat belts and isn't keen on riding in the car with them LOL! I guess it would help if I knew how they worked.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It looks like you have the chrome loop on the tunnel for '67 retractable lap belts like I have in my '69 square? Buy some if you can find them as they are nice!

I explained your mismatched seat belts/chrome loop to you on page one. Take better pictures of your seat belts for us as they might work with a late model Type 3 tunnel latch assembly? The seat belts should have a brand name on them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilgtiguy wrote:

That cruising speed sounds just fine because I want to enjoy driving this car one day on a nice back road in the country. My wife saw the seat belts and isn't keen on riding in the car with them LOL! I guess it would help if I knew how they worked.

Yeah, a stock engine will handle slightly lower speeds all day long. If you really need a bump in power, you could always go dual carb with single port manifolds (my 64 T-34 came like that from the factory). Supposedly a little less hp, but slightly better torque with that set up (over dual port manifolds).

As far as seat belts go, I just prefer to replace them with new parts. After all, the stitching likes to disolve over the years (a bad thing for a safety item). Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
It looks like you have the chrome loop on the tunnel for '67 retractable lap belts like I have in my '69 square? Buy some if you can find them as they are nice!

I explained your mismatched seat belts/chrome loop to you on page one. Take better pictures of your seat belts for us as they might work with a late model Type 3 tunnel latch assembly? The seat belts should have a brand name on them.

I'll snap a shot of the belts after work. I'm curious as to what you have to say.

Bob, I'll be installing a set of modern belts for sure.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilgtiguy wrote:
Bob, I'll be installing a set of modern belts for sure.

That was the very first thing I did after I bought my Squareback.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '66 doesn't have seat belt mounts on the rockers, but does have the tunnel mounts so you should scrutinize your rocker mounts for safety.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
My '66 doesn't have seat belt mounts on the rockers, but does have the tunnel mounts so you should scrutinize your rocker mounts for safety.

I welded in the plate assemblies from a later car into the rockers of my 65. That car only used 2 points (the tunnel, and the hole in the upper "B" post).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pictures of the seat buckle. I noticed that the passenger side buckle is intact whereas the driver side buckle is missing the latching mechanism, which is what had me confused.

Passenger side:

Driver side:
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I continued to tear into the case some more. I removed the cylinders, pistons, fuel pump, breather, and dizzy. I haven't measured the bores of the cylinders yet to determine the wear but assuming they are within spec would you replace or reuse them. Also, one of the cooling fins is MIA. Is this an issue?

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pistons & cylinders are only $200. I would build a 1776-2007 cc engine if you want to be happy with the Power it has.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the OG early case with no cam bearings i would stick to a 1600cc, or buy a new case and build what you want.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little closer to splitting the case open. I removed the head studs and now I'm ready for the next step. I've read in Tom Wilson's book that a pair of mallets on opposing sides of the case will free it up by gently tapping. What do you guys/ gals do?

As for the build portion I'm going to keep the displacement the same and possibly look at cleaning up a pair of heads. Unfortunately the more I look at the one head the more I think that it might be toast but I'll need a trained eye to look at it before I write it off.

BTW I realize that the oil fill tube is positioned wrong. I had it off for cleaning and draining of the case and just slapped it on before I left work for the day.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have all the bolts undone, including the small one at the bottom of the bell housing, usually covered in crud.
There is a $10 case splitter, or leave a couple of the big nuts partially threaded and hang on to a rod while giving a few good raps with a deadblow on the case stud will pop it apart.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Once you have all the bolts undone, including the small one at the bottom of the bell housing, usually covered in crud.
There is a $10 case splitter, or leave a couple of the big nuts partially threaded and hang on to a rod while giving a few good raps with a deadblow on the case stud will pop it apart.

Yup, get all of the nuts and bolts off, and pull the oil pump. Then you can do like Mark suggested with the dead blow. Just make sure you double check that you got them all, as a couple do like to hide on you. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

97.24% of all first-time engine builders will miss one case nut, and beat the shinola out of their case trying to get it apart....

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
97.24% of all first-time engine builders will miss one case nut, and beat the shinola out of their case trying to get it apart....

It's not just first time builders. Wink If the case isn't clean, you'll miss 1. Shocked

Personally, I wouldn't reuse those cylinders. They still might be in spec, but I'll bet you'll find rust on the cylinder bore itself, and you'll spend hours trying to remove it. Remember, time is money too. Wink I'd just try and find a quality set of pistons and cylinders, and go from there. But then, I'd also strip the case, and send it out for machining (an align bore and case savers at a minimum). Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to politely dis-agree with Mike on the 90.5 cylinder thing.
For a couple of reasons:

1. Cost - the parts cost more, and the machine work costs a lot more
2. Reliability - while the 90.5s are nice and thick, your case has the 10mm studs, plus less cooling fin and more bore means less cooling.
3. Waste - If the rest of the motor is left stock, especially intake and exhaust, you would likely see no gain, only more heat stuck in the motor trying to get out with the exhaust.

I personally have been a motor-building nut-job for far too many years.
There are exactly 12 of them in my workshop right now, all in various states of tune and/or disassembly, none of them stock. So FWIW...

IMHO, a properly built performance type 1 motor will use very few, if any, parts from the motor you have right now.
Note I said -properly-, meaning one that will last for any length of time before it has to come back out and apart.

You will have your hands full for a long time restoring that car.
Why not use as many of the OG parts as you can building a sweet stocker for it?
After your car is stock, and sweet and shiny and beautiful,
If you have some more time and money, and want some more power, get another set of cooling tins or a core motor off of this fine site, and start building a performance motor.

Get an aluminum case, counterweighted crank, welded fan, chopped chromoly flywheel, h-beam rids, 26mm oil pump, big bore cylinders, etc. etc.
None of the parts you have in your motor right now would be of any use.
So do it all to another in your spare time, while you drive your nice shiny finished restored car with the stock motor.

If you ever do sell, the stock motor will make it worth a lot more.
If you do spend all the money you ever had on your hot motor, and need more, you could easily sell a fresh stocker.

In your stock rebuild, there is no shame in using the slightly larger, easily available later 1600 cylinders.
Not having the correct OG casting numbers on your heads isn't a sin, either, It's usually only case numbers any anal 1500 Club types would look at. It isn't like in the muscle car world where head casting numbers make or break a deal...

You have _plenty_ of fish to fry getting that body shell in order.

After your stocker is painted up and fresh/assembled,
Before it gets gas or oil in it to make it smelly,
Put it in the living room under a glass coffee table to inspire you during the loooong slog with bodywork you will hopefully be doing! Laughing

Uh, oh, rant... must... not... rant.....

What’s That Noise?!?
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I'm going to politely dis-agree with Mike on the 90.5 cylinder thing.
For a couple of reasons:

1. Cost - the parts cost more, and the machine work costs a lot more
2. Reliability - while the 90.5s are nice and thick, your case has the 10mm studs, plus less cooling fin and more bore means less cooling.
3. Waste - If the rest of the motor is left stock, especially intake and exhaust, you would likely see no gain, only more heat stuck in the motor trying to get out with the exhaust.

I personally have been a motor-building nut-job for far too many years.
There are exactly 12 of them in my workshop right now, all in various states of tune and/or disassembly, none of them stock. So FWIW...

IMHO, a properly built performance type 1 motor will use very few, if any, parts from the motor you have right now.
Note I said -properly-, meaning one that will last for any length of time before it has to come back out and apart.

You will have your hands full for a long time restoring that car.
Why not use as many of the OG parts as you can building a sweet stocker for it?
After your car is stock, and sweet and shiny and beautiful,
If you have some more time and money, and want some more power, get another set of cooling tins or a core motor off of this fine site, and start building a performance motor.

Get an aluminum case, counterweighted crank, welded fan, chopped chromoly flywheel, h-beam rids, 26mm oil pump, big bore cylinders, etc. etc.
None of the parts you have in your motor right now would be of any use.
So do it all to another in your spare time, while you drive your nice shiny finished restored car with the stock motor.

If you ever do sell, the stock motor will make it worth a lot more.
If you do spend all the money you ever had on your hot motor, and need more, you could easily sell a fresh stocker.

In your stock rebuild, there is no shame in using the slightly larger, easily available later 1600 cylinders.
Not having the correct OG casting numbers on your heads isn't a sin, either, It's usually only case numbers any anal 1500 Club types would look at. It isn't like in the muscle car world where head casting numbers make or break a deal...

You have _plenty_ of fish to fry getting that body shell in order.

After your stocker is painted up and fresh/assembled,
Before it gets gas or oil in it to make it smelly,
Put it in the living room under a glass coffee table to inspire you during the loooong slog with bodywork you will hopefully be doing! Laughing

Uh, oh, rant... must... not... rant.....

I'm going the sweet stocker route. The engine rebuild is the low hanging fruit so to speak as compared to the body work that lay ahead. The car will be a cruiser sort of like this ...
Link
one day in several years. For now I'm enjoying what I'm doing, I'm not in a rush and I want to do it right.
92 Nissan 240SX turbo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: