Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

super 7 body for vw chasis
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
6718nellotinnirello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: super 7 body for vw chasis Reply with quote

has anyone seen a super 7 like body for vw. pretty much a sand rail with a body. would it sell if it were available. it would be more of a street racer rail. Wink
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that I'm aware of. Any current manufacturer will be making their own chassis - the traditional VW chassis donor is long dead. If you want a Super 7, you'll have to build one yourself or purchase the kit less chassis and see if you can make it work. A short term easy out is to purchase an old Gazelle kit for cheap and modify it from there - remove the fenders, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... yeah. Good Luck on that!

Though, there has been a guy on the Locost 7 forums that built a '7' using an aircooled VW engine in front, and IIRC, a Porsche 924/944 transaxle setup in back of a homebuilt '7' style chassis.

bnc
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Umm... yeah. Good Luck on that!

Though, there has been a guy on the Locost 7 forums that built a '7' using an aircooled VW engine in front, and IIRC, a Porsche 924/944 transaxle setup in back of a homebuilt '7' style chassis.

bnc

That would be fun for an unconventional rat rod!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: try this Reply with quote

Regardless of what some people think, I really am a nice guy... here you go...

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200&hilit=beetle+motor

bnc
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I never said anything!

But thanks for that link. I searched for it but must not have used the correct terms. I did find a VW powered one on Youtube, racing right here in Philly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdbltN14ng
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a front engine rat rod.

Mike Hillbery's award winning rat rod. Supercharged single port front engine, right hand drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
6718nellotinnirello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at the locust. it is a really crazy set up. I think the vw chasis is a little dated but it still can be used. there are some nice suspension pieces available for rails. I guess ill have to make one.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a quick search, Joe... do you know what Mike is using for a transmission? Is there a build thread somewhere?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Did a quick search, Joe... do you know what Mike is using for a transmission? Is there a build thread somewhere?

No build thread that I know of. When we were together at a show in Parkersburg WV, I had forgotten my camera.

Mike twisted the engine around so the crank flywheel is in the rear. Bolted a trans case to it, ran the input shaft through the empty ring gear carrier housing, (could look through and see the input shaft) and into carrier bearing of some sort, then into a driveshaft that ran into a ring gear flipped transaxle in the rear, (rear transaxle was turned around mid engine style) and he used a mid engine style shifter.

All done on the cheap side out of used parts in the spirit of a rat rod. I do know he had not yet gotten the carb/induction sorted out and had a hard time taking fuel under a load, (but look how far that fuel had to travel to respond to the throttle blade). Mike told me he had been collecting parts for about 8 years before making it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is from the 1980's. The Hubers 2. Never saw anything more on it until this picture showed up in the Abortions thread. Personally I liked it. It was different.

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
6718nellotinnirello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad pic that's pretty close to what I was thinking, id ditch the wheels. thanks.
2mAn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: super 7 body for vw chasis Reply with quote

6718nellotinnirello wrote:
has anyone seen a super 7 like body for vw. pretty much a sand rail with a body. would it sell if it were available. it would be more of a street racer rail. Wink

check out my gazelle project
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: