Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Feedback extortion on ebay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Feedback extortion on ebay Reply with quote

This is not VW specific, but it might be useful info:

I sold 2 mint sets of coins on eBay than did not satisfy the buyer.
He messaged me with his complaint on Saturday night and gave me bad feedback on Sunday morning; no time for me to accommodate his whine. I was 600 miles away at the Spring Bulli.
He had a legit gripe, my photos did not show the discoloration on the coins. I would have given his $8.50 back, and let him keep the coins. What the hell? $8.50?

Read on:

Dear Craig,

The condition of the coins in the blue colored plastic are the coins I have
an issue with. They look great in photo, but are not in good condition.. I
could tell some minor issues on red set in photo I was fine with.
maybe a partial refund for the blue coins and then I may withdraw neg feedback.

-dickheabuyer

Dear Mr. dickheadbuyer,

I mean, how much money out of $8.50 do you reckon you need
to receive to sell me back my good feedback record? Really, one dollar, two
dollars, three?
Just let me know.

Craig

Dear Craig,

-dickheadbuyer

I ended the conversation at that point. I contacted eBay by phone and reported him for feedback extortion. They agreed, and removed the bad feedback from my record.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know - I didn't know you could report people for doing this sort of thing.

The internet has definitely reduced the wait time for a certain type of personality. Oh, you didn't respond to me within an hour? You must be a scammer!

Bitch, you need to wait like 3 days before being worried... especially if it's the weekend.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howardvw Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about using feedback as a tool to manipulate with.. the business dealings have changed i think in the past 3 years from what they were 10 years ago. for buyers and sellers.
i blame the fake facebook feedback lifestyle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feedback is a necessary/legitimate tool in Buyer-Seller transactions. I'm glad to hear that EBay moderates theirs similar to how EverettB moderates here!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this issue happen to me on FeeBay many times and have had the NEG feedback removed, but if you notice it's always someone that is a Buyer and never Sells on FeeBay.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
but if you notice it's always someone that is a Buyer and never Sells on FeeBay.

This dude had over a thousand transactions; and just as many sales as purchases. His feedback data showed that he only had given only two negative feedback ratings to sellers in ten years–both of them last week.
He's probably settled things to his favor this way before. I felt as if he were scamming me after I started checking things out. Someone with that much experience buying and selling on eBay knows what he is doing. I urged the customer service woman to whom I spoke to check his history of withdrawing negative feedback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howardvw Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, hes done it before and will do it again, its a proven way to do business that he has learned. (i know im reaching/but think about it)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coin and stamp people on ebay are crazy. I looked through there one night, and EVERYBODY was firing away at everyone else with negative feedback. I've never seen anything like it.

I wouldn't give him the satisfaction. You can always get the negative feedback removed down the road, and most people don't pay that much attention anyway.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorites as a buyer was the seller telling me they would post positive feedback for me as soon as I posted positive feedback for them.

So I bid on your stuff, paid you within minutes of the close of the auction, and you won’t post positive feedback for me until I post positive feedback for you? What did I do wrong?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens on this site also. That's why my sig line reads "feedback not necessary" thre is a guy who has about 15 pages of feedback, I've had some deals with him and he bugs for feedback.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report it.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

FU#3
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
One of my favorites as a buyer was the seller telling me they would post positive feedback for me as soon as I posted positive feedback for them.

So I bid on your stuff, paid you within minutes of the close of the auction, and you won’t post positive feedback for me until I post positive feedback for you? What did I do wrong?

THIS is my biggest gripe and its something that has started happening since eBay won't allow sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers.

If I, the buyer, purchase an item from you the seller, and I pay you for the item, I have completed my end of the transaction. YOU the seller HAVE to leave positive feedback, it's even in the damn rules ! When I, the buyer receive the item I have paid for, I am to leave feedback for you the seller. If there is an issue I contact you and we work it out, if that fails eBay mediates it.

As a buyer I'm dealing with this a LOT lately. Even as a seller its getting hard to get people to leave me ANY feedback. eBay needs to make it so that you cannot sell or buy until you leave feedback to people you haven't left feedback for OR, if NO feedback is left after a certain amount of time it is assumed there were no issues and positive feedback is automatically left.

What some of the sellers fail to remember is that they CAN'T leave a buyer negative feedback if the item is paid for ( still a stupid rule but I don't want to get going on slow payers ). So, what I have started doing is threatening the seller with negative feedback until they leave me positive feedback and I politely remind them how the damn process works !

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you all, but until I get the item, open it, it's what I was told it would be, the seller can pound sand.
ONCE I've done all that, then I'll give positive feedback, if I'm not happy I'll review the auction details and if I feel I was mis-lead I'll just withhold feedback.
I had a Bitch try to send ebay after me for non-payment.
I'd payed her via Paypal the same day the auction closed, as it turned out she had f'd up her Paypal info, so the whole thing was HER FAULT.
I received the item, but she put BS Religious Pamphlets in the package with the item, so I withheld feedback.
Later I got a email from her asking for feedback, so I wrote her back, summing up the transaction,
and explained that never before had I given negative feedback, but I was more than happy to go ahead and give her the Negative feedback that her had earned.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
eBay needs to make it so that you cannot sell or buy until you leave feedback to people you haven't left feedback for

You think eBay should care about your feedback obsession to the point where they would forgo making money??? That's a good one!!! Laughing
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... FeEbay dont give 2 shits about feedback... Its all about the coin..$$ Laughing
(as long as they are properly advertised and all issues are noted..)

The one that got me so pissed as a seller.
I sold a set of 25 refrigerator magnets for... $5. All were pictured in a group and no questions were askled.
It cost me $4 to mail.. fron NC To GA.
I lost money on the sale.
I got a message from the buyer saying "The Frog is supposed to be holding a star on a stick, I need a full refund"

I told her to basically "go get bent" as she didnt ask about the freakin' frog before purchasing, and I lost about $2 on her damn magnets.
No feeback left either way... It was probably for the best..

Here lately the last 4 items I've purchased off Ebay ALL have had issues not noted by the sellers..
I simply file a resolution case, as most cases.. the seller will bargain thier way out. .. if not... the Ebay protection will kick in once the seller shows thier irresponsibility and slackness.
Feedback does help.. but its taken lightly.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it! Seems like feedback is now more valuable than money! Confused

It's no wonder why I very rarely do eBay at all. Why do I have to leave feedback? Unless there is a negative issue, there should be no reason to be obligated to leave feedback. If I was EXTREMELY joyful about the purchase experience, then it'd be my choice to tell the world how much I liked it. But when I go to a store and buy whatever, I don't feel obligated to let the store owner or anyone else for that matter, whether it was a great experience or not. Rolling Eyes

Maybe a simple "tracking blurb" on a profile denoting number of transactions would readily show "good business" versus bad. Eh?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
I don't get it! Seems like feedback is now more valuable than money! Confused

It's no wonder why I very rarely do eBay at all. Why do I have to leave feedback? Unless there is a negative issue, there should be no reason to be obligated to leave feedback. If I was EXTREMELY joyful about the purchase experience, then it'd be my choice to tell the world how much I liked it. But when I go to a store and buy whatever, I don't feel obligated to let the store owner or anyone else for that matter, whether it was a great experience or not. Rolling Eyes

Maybe a simple "tracking blurb" on a profile denoting number of transactions would readily show "good business" versus bad. Eh?

Because your feedback is your "credit" and it shows buyers and sellers that you aren't an asshole who will fuck someone over or not pay. Don't you look at someone's feedback rating to determine if you will buy from them or not ? THAT'S why you leave feedback for someone.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that but still believe it shouldn't be a mandatory issue! Like I said, if I was very happy with whoever's business deal, I gladly tell anyone about it. Likewise if the deal went terribly wrong. But it should be my choice to do so. Neutral
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple fact that it’s eBay is enough for me. They have enough safeguards available to protect their users (me) that I could care less if someone has – feedback as long as they are selling what I’m looking for and have the best price. Perfect example is the OP of this thread. Apparently in his case and who knows how many others - feedback is just a measure of how many times you’ve been extorted. Let’s add that to the – feedback that’s left by the likes of a miserable SOB who didn’t get a star with the frog. Those clowns are never satisfied. So, 10 negative feedback could potentially mean someone was extorted 4 times and sold stuff to 6 hard to please dipshits. Or it could mean they really earned it. In any case, if eBay hasn’t deactivated their account, I’m buying their goods…
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feedback is not mandatory.

In my opinion it's easy to tell in most cases which negative/neutral feedback on eBay is earned, which is idiot buyers, and which can be ignored.
This can often be determined by the seller's response to it as well, if they respond.

The funniest thing I have seen on eBay was someone got a negative feedback because they were selling a vintage press release photo of a camera. They got a negative because they did not get the camera. The auction was very clear. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: