Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Camper Bus
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roundhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: 1973 Camper Bus Reply with quote

Ok, guys... My dream has always been to own an old school VW and was wondering if I can get some wisdom from the group.

My old RTOC instructor is finally parting ways with "one" of his VW's and I am the first person he thought about to call.

Here is my dilema, I am getting married in a couple of months and want to make sure I make the right call by either going through with the purchase or waiting until another opportunity. I know he is not trying to screw me and wants what he thinks is fair at $1,500. He even said he would throw in the engine from his other bus that is already put together with the deal. Also said he wouldnt mind waiting until after the wedding in case I need it but I feel that if this is the right thing to do I might as well pull the trigger and buy it.

The bus in question is a 1973 Camper Bus. Rust from what I noticed appeared to be just superficial and the tent is in amazing shape for being that old. I am sure I can probably talk him down a bit but just want to see what other VW gearheads thought about this? Pictures are attached.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d'oh! d'oh! YOU CAN DO BETTER!!! Wink Wink

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roundhead wrote:
Rust from what I noticed appeared to be just superficial and the tent is in amazing shape for being that old.

wrong. on both accounts.

$1500? pass
$500? get it if it has a transmission.
howardvw Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the parts inside might be usable- but a better body is needed.

the reality is by the time/costs/personal value of all the work needed for repairs on that body and mechanics you could of paid for something better. since you know the seller-just tell the seller this, break down the numbers for him, scrap, repairs, overall, minimum to get it on the road. hes looking to sell for money and your looking to buy something worthwhile.
if this is your first bus and your in your teens or maybe 20s go for it-youve got nothing to loose(some will argue that age number/as i do too).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba.

First off you should have posted this in the Bay Window Bus forum. That's where Bay bus peeps hang out. That's where all the Bay bus experience, expertise, and info is.

Now you also need to have your location listed. It does make a difference regarding availability, condition and value of a bus.

Had you upset your old RTOC instructor in the past? Because he sure didn't do you any favor by rembering you and then calling.

Congratulation on the future wedding. Don't jeopardize it by making bad decisions and even possibly considering that bus is a bad decision.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: 1973 IS NOT a 73 Reply with quote

I totally agree with Desertbusman on your relationship with your EX-ROTC
instructor. Evil or Very Mad You must have really Pissed him off.

The Westy in the picture is Not a 73 but more like 76-77 year.

And as Hazetguy said $500.00 if the transmission is installed.

Post where you live in your next post and the guys in the Bay window forum
will be glad to lead you from there.

Applause Congratulations on your upcoming marriage Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it cheap and park it in the driveway so your new wife to be has to squeeze by it every time she goes to enter the house, no better time to get her conditioned to a project or two sitting around than right now!! Very Happy

As others have said that one's pretty tough looking but congratulations on the impending marriage Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit fire man. Buy it and Ill send you a free bumper sticker.

"Glutton for punishment"

or

"More money than brains"

Your choice. Yes to bay window forum. Welcome.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roundhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback!

My desire to own a VW just grew bigger thanks to you guys. I hope I dont "piss" him off even more by offering him a third of what he wants but worth a shot.

I will be back online once I get my VW to ask you VW Jedi out there for guidance. Thanks once again.

Vic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: