Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Thing Resoration
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONAP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: 1974 Thing Resoration Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just getting my 74 Thing back on the road after four years in storage. It's mechanically sound and running, and I want to start thinking about restoring it. It needs a bit of love. Most all of the rubber is dried out, some surface rust. Needs the pan replaced and some minor body work from an accident years ago. The problem is, I don't know how to go about doing this. What order do I want to do this in? I'm more than willing to get some of the work done at local shops, but I'm not really sure where to take it.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me to a thread with some basic "Where to start" info on restoration, and I'll take all of the input and suggestions I can get. I likely won't start until the fall since I live in Phoenix, and we're already looking at almost 100 degrees outside. I just want to get a little education before I get in over my head.

Cheers.
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of threads on here about Thing restos.

Here's a good one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=273089&highlight=face+lift

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing Resoration Reply with quote

ONAP wrote:
Hi All,

Just getting my 74 Thing back on the road after four years in storage. It's mechanically sound and running, and I want to start thinking about restoring it. It needs a bit of love. Most all of the rubber is dried out, some surface rust. Needs the pan replaced and some minor body work from an accident years ago. The problem is, I don't know how to go about doing this. What order do I want to do this in? I'm more than willing to get some of the work done at local shops, but I'm not really sure where to take it.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me to a thread with some basic "Where to start" info on restoration, and I'll take all of the input and suggestions I can get. I likely won't start until the fall since I live in Phoenix, and we're already looking at almost 100 degrees outside. I just want to get a little education before I get in over my head.

Cheers.

I would think pan first for safety reasons, then body work and then rubber. Leave the rubber for last. It makes things easier when painting the body. Replace the rubber after painting.
BeetleBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to The Thing Shop and talk to them. They are in your backyard (Chandler). Very Happy
I was there 3 weeks ago and had a tour of their facility. Cool
GREAT people and very helpful. They have the parts and books to get you started.

Bob
IBTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: RESTORE Reply with quote

The Thing Shop in Chandler AZ is a great place for Thing parts. See IBTHING in gallery for pictures of my restoration...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the intakes on the forward edge of the muffs! I've been trying to figure out how to open mine up, and that looks good!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: