Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Ride without changing Beam?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the feedback on punchdrunk in the buyer seller feedback before you order.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still do it without swapping beams. I didn't swap beams and it is able to move the chassis up and down without any issues. I know the air pressure will be higher in the front because of the torsions that are left in the beam, but I don't think this will be an issue. My system is at 150psi max. I see the torsions in the beam as a fail safe. If the front air shocks do go out, then I have the torsions to keep me from fully bottoming my front beam/chassis. I just lower the car to the lowest I ever want to go.

All I gotta say is that the Accuair system is the shits!

markpetersonii wrote:
supersuk wrote:
I used a system similar to this one:

http://www.accuair.com/airmanagementproducts/e-level-air-management-package-w-rocker-switch-3

I put the system together myself which came out a little cheaper. Instead of one compressor, i'm using two. I'm controlling all 4 corners with the vu4 valve, but if you want to control only the front, then you want the vu2.

It's good to read this, mainly because I contacted AccuAir and they recommended me to get the beams swapped and referred me to Punch Drunk Customs, which specializes in air-ride VWs. I sent them an email about a week ago and still no response. Oh well. Their loss.

If I can do it without the need to swap the beams I'd be all over it. I still want to use AccuAir's system. Everything I saw at an open house they were at, I liked.

68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I am going to leave the torsions in to start with. Just need to find an auto levelling 2 way system....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know of a levelling 2 way system?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said before, contact accuair about the use of their 2-corner solenoid valve setup if you only want to control the front. The height is dependent on the level sensors. You can set where you want the normal ride height.

http://www.accuair.com/classic/products/air-management?f[0]=field_solenoid_valves%3A257

If you don't want to go that route, then you're shit out of luck. There are other systems out there, but they suck.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I get it, so you combine this with levelling bits... see - I know nothing
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So any more info if you were able to get it done and going OP??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squareonair built his own 4 way air beam etc & is still welding up custom & extended beams in MO. I would ask him about custom work!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've talked to him a few times on Instagram about his beams. I was asking about the use of the factory beam with the airshocks. Just wondering if he did it, and how they've worked out in the past year plus since the post. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:
I'm using the MONROE MA785 shocks. I forget, but I think I removed the metal and rubber bushing from the OEM shock and put it into the Monroe shocks.

Did you have any problem with that shock hitting the upper control arm. There is another thread where the same shock could not bolt up without modifying the top shock mount location.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Ride without changing Beam? Reply with quote

I don`t think I would rely on a pair of Monroe air shocks alone to support the front end of anything. They aren't meant for that. They are meant to be used in conjunction with leaf springs or torsion bars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: