Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

on freeway smelled gas, fuel line came out of side of carb
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all things I'm going to check out. I am no mechanic and I'm new to beetles. Wish the was a guy close by me who would works on them to come over and show me a few things. Haha. Will check the tranny fluid next. Like I said before, it will go into gear but if youfully let your foot of the clutch it will choke out. Idk. Thanks for the help guys.
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl2182 wrote:
Would u suggest taking that filter out of there altogether? Or are beetles prone to needing multiple filters? I will definitely try the "wire" solution first. Hey I'm no pro, haha.
Shocked You are so lucky that it didn't catch fire or explode and burn to a crisp !!...from now on, carry a decent sized fire extinguisher with you at all times...and put only one gas filter on the vehicle...either beneath the gas tank in front, or under the car up above your transaxle...clamp it tightly so it won't rub on anything....finally, buy a lottery ticket because you are a very lucky man...and go to church !! Cool
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm very lucky. Once I locate the other filter and get it changed, the one in the engine bay is coming out asap. Got a lot of work to do before iI drive it anywhere again anyhow. Fire extinguisher check!
DrummerDaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have several issues.

1) Get a fire extinguisher asap.
2) Relocate the fuel filter as previous posters have said before you burn 'er to the ground. Seriously. Do it now. You've already lucked out big time that it didnt happen when it pulled out the pressed in carb fitting.
3) Replace all your fuel hoses if they havent been changed in the last 5 years.
4) Safety wire as mentioned, or tap and insert a screw in type.
5) Before messing with anything else, adjust your valves, points gap, and timing. http://www.aircooled.net/adjust-stock-vw-valves/ http://www.aircooled.net/stock-vw-ignition-timing-how-to-video/
6) If you still have issues, that pressed in piece coming loose could've caused some crap to dislodge and clog a jet or something. So remove clean your carb, clean out all jets, check your accelerator pump for proper functionality, and readjust the carb per the base settings. http://www.aircooled.net/stock-vw-carburetor-adjustment-video/
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check something please....
Look on the left side of your carb just below your fuel inlet and you will see the make and model cast into the fuel bowl. What does it say there?
Next, use a mirror and look for the model numbers stamped into the body of your distributor. The model number(s) is usually on the front side (front is front of car) of the distributor body.

I have a gut feel you have a 34Pict-3 carb and a 009 (VW 126-905-205, Bosch 0231 178 009) distributor. This combo was never designed to work together but is one of the most common configurations based on the cheapest and most available parts.
This combo often causes a huge hesitation as you accelerate off idle from a stop. I wonder if this is what you are describing as a clutch problem? To work around the hesitation you often need to raise the idle and feather the clutch to keep the engine from dying.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand distributor would you recommend besides the 009 or vw dist you just described? It does almost sound like it might be that. I do have a 34 pict3 carb. Before I get it back on the road I plan on replacing all rubber fuel lines, points, plugs, bleed brake system, oil change, etc. I'm going to relocate the fuel filter out of the engine compartment and place between tank and tunnel. I've already installed a safety wire holding the fuel line inlet into the carb. Will be going to purchase an extinguisher before getting her back on the road. If there's anything we can't figure out ourselves, I will have to give a guy who really KNOWS what he is doing to come check it out. Thanks for the advice guys
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 034 SVDA is the perfect match for the 34PICT-3. However there sounds like there are some issues with some of the recent aftermarket ones. I think a couple places still have the Mexican Bosch SVDA (try EIS) and I know there is a thread about the Pertronix one that is out there - Try to find the thread and see what the probs are and if they have fixes for them.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl2182 wrote:
What brand distributor would you recommend besides the 009 or vw dist you just described?

Does this mean you have a 009 distributor? You didn't confirm the distributor model#?

Also, you didn't answer the question about what it says on the left side of the carb fuel bowl? It will tell us if you have an original Solex made 34Pict-3 or a clone like Bocar, Empi or some other brand.
If you have a Solex look for the numbers stamped into the base flange of the carb. These will tell if you have a carb that was meant to be paired with an SVDA or DVDA distributor.
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the questions, I have a Bocar 34pict 3 carb and a VW 231 170 034 dizzy.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drive it.

A nice German 34PICT 3 would be nice to score at a show from someboduy selling used parts for cheap money. Send it off to Tim the carb guy and have him rebuild it and you will be 100%. At least you have a good distributor so no need to look for one of those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks, the guy I bought the bug from had it for a month, he had purchase it from a 80 yo lady who was the original owner. The beetle itself is about 95% original parts, plus or minus some for tune up, fuel lines, etc. Good score for $ 2100 I believe. He paid $2800. Floor pans have been replaced, but elsewhere there is no rust, still has the protective coating under fenders, etc.
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick question, what is the best oil type for the engine 20w50 or...? And how many quarts, 3?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.3 PINTS of oil.

Visit the oil sticky and use your own judgement as to brand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl2182 wrote:
To answer the questions, I have a Bocar 34pict 3 carb and a VW 231 170 034 dizzy.

That's an original SVDA distributor. Great distributor when in good working order.
From http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A1974MFD

Quote:
Beetle 1974 * 1600 Federal Manual Trans

Distributor: VW 043-905-205, Bosch 0231 170 034
Can Use: VW 113-905-205AL, Bosch 0231 146 101, VW 043 905 205 ZB (Mexico) (See Note Below)
Condensor: 02 074
Rotor: 04 033
Dust Cover: 039-905-241, Bosch 1230 500 139 > 1230 500 147
Cap: 03 010
Distributor Cap Clip: 034-905-265, Bosch 1231 251 033
Parts Kit (Shims, Washers & Hardware): 059-998-211, Bosch 1237 010 007
Coil: 00 015 (Blue Coil: 00 012)
Vacuum Can: 07 059
Ignition Wires: 09 001
Spark Plug: W8AC
Timing Set At:: 7.5deg BTDC @ 800-950rpm w/strobe and w/single vacuum hose disconnected and plugged
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 8-12deg Adv; Centrifugal: 7-12deg @ 1600rpm, 20-25deg @ 3800rpm
NOTE: Volkswagen (with Bosch's help) now makes this distributor in Mexico and is available brand new and ready to install. Please click this link:Beetle (Puebla, Mexico) With Points Distributor to view the specs.

jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be in good working order. Not a lot done to the bug the past couple days because we have had so much rain and I've lost my helper. Haha.
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with a local vw guy today and he told me since my bug idles fine but chokes out when put into gear it sounded like the carb was getting starved for fuel. He is going to come take a look at it tomorrow. Is there any other way to clean the bowl and float needle valve without removing the carb from the manifold? Say with carb cleaner?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl2182 wrote:
Is there any other way to clean the bowl and float needle valve without removing the carb from the manifold?

Removing carb from manifold is not very tough. Especially if you have a "C" or "S" shaped 13mm box wrench. Even Harbor Freight has those.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and send that carb off to here and have it rebuilt.....

http://volkzbitz.com/

Money well spent.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy. just noticed you live close by, I'm in Ellenwood. anyhoo, anytime I run a stock carb, I always tie some safety wire around the clamp, and carb bolt. I've pulled the fittings out just trying to get the line off. It can come out pretty easy. and definitely put a filter under the tank, and not in the engine compartment. it doesn't take much to wiggle the fitting out.

Might wanna check out the GA dubs site. its basically like a mini-thesamba, but for GA, and GA clubs Very Happy
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
jl2182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check out G-dubs a good bit. I've already got the "safety" wire in place. I would like to become a member of a vw club but don't really know how to go about it. I have a guy coming to check out my carb today and will keep ya posted what we find out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: