Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Popping out the exhaust....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Popping out the exhaust.... Reply with quote

I'm running a 2276 with IDAs. I've been having an annoying popping put of the exhaust for some time. It usually comes on at about 3200 to 4000 rpm. I've changed the plugs and they are dark. My jetting is 37mm Venturi's, 155 mains, F11 emulsion tubes, 120 idle jet holders, 60 idle jet and 200 air correction. Could I be experiencing vacuum leaks? Or is it just plain jetting?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the cross over between the Idle circuits and the mains is not happening quite right. (If this engine is in your type 3)Those manifolds on the type 3's are so short there is little room for error in the dual carburetor set-ups. Perhaps a little smaller on the air correction jets!
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: popping Reply with quote

Check exhaust for leaks and manifolds/carbs vacume leaks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in my type1. I'm thinking the progression circuit. It has been suggested to me by a reputable source to increase the idle jet holder from 120 to 130 by drilling it. That should lean out the main circuit... Right???
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: jets Reply with quote

Just change the jet then no guesswork
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping out the exhaust.... Reply with quote

Just a thought. Are you certain the noise is coming from the exhaust? I have a car (not a VW) with a badly worn camshaft that has one exhaust lobe so badly worn that it doesn't allow all of the exhaust to escape in that cylinder on the exhaust stroke. When the intake valve opens, the remaining exhaust blasts out the throat of the carburetor. It barks and pops just like a Harley Davidson and the phenomenon begins at about 3000rpm. Worth checking if you have only been hearing it by listening from the driver's seat. It's a shot in the dark, but another possibility. Good luck, Fred

c.ruber wrote:
I'm running a 2276 with IDAs. I've been having an annoying popping put of the exhaust for some time. It usually comes on at about 3200 to 4000 rpm. I've changed the plugs and they are dark. My jetting is 37mm Venturi's, 155 mains, F11 emulsion tubes, 120 idle jet holders, 60 idle jet and 200 air correction. Could I be experiencing vacuum leaks? Or is it just plain jetting?
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive out the exhaust.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your car running on all 4 cylinders?
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also check valve lash

Tom
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've adjusted the valves with no change to the problem. The engine has an intermittent miss when cold. It seems to smooth out when its warm. The popping comes on at about 2800 to 3200 rpm.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent and/or sticking valve?
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then, Another shot in the dark. Could your dizzy rotor phasing be out of whack? Ie, could your rotor be pointing slightly toward the wrong cylinder when vacuum advance comes on strong? You could check the distributor cap alignment or anything really out of whack with the vacuum advance plate as that will definitely affect rotor phasing. It might only show up as a miss at idle, but become more pronounced under load even if under load there is less vacuum. Also, with increased rpm, and a standard ignition, the ignition voltage will be higher with the alternator or generator turning faster (given that voltage regulators aren't perfect) and cross-fire in the distributor would be worse. Also, with increased cylinder pressure under load it would be easier to cross-fire in the distributor to a lower compression cylinder. (Enough rambling Fred) Suggest check rotor phasing which is directly affected by the vacuum advance plate, or cap placement (rotor phasing is not affected by centrifugal advance by the way) Fred

c.ruber wrote:
I've adjusted the valves with no change to the problem. The engine has an intermittent miss when cold. It seems to smooth out when its warm. The popping comes on at about 2800 to 3200 rpm.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one cylinder too rich OR too lean OR out of synch carbs will cause an intermittent miss that will cause such a backfire.

It could be anything but if he hasn't done the work to get the carbs dialed-in then it's probably the carbs.
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks modok, I'm thinking that I have debris in the carb possibly blocking the progression ports. I may not get to work on it until the weekend. I thought it was odd that when I was adjusting the idle mixture there was one cylinder that didn't change like the others. I'll start my search there.
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had a chance to work on the engine. I removed both carbs and gave them a thorough cleaning inside and out. I removed the idle jets and installed 55s. I also replaced the idle adjustment screws. After reinstalling the carbs and adjusting the idle mixture, I still have popping out the exhaust from about 2000 to 4500 rpm. My elevation is roughly 650 feet above sea level. I think I'm still running rich. I have also noticed the accelerator nozzles have the IDA drip. That may be a problem to address as well. Any ideas are welcome...
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pressure and float heights?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've adjusted the fuel pressure to 3psi. I'm thinking a bad spark plug or manifold gasket. I installed one step down on the idle jet and no change in the idle miss and acceleration popping. Why are the damn things so hard to tune?
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I adjusted the timing. Great difference in the way the engine idles. I'm sitting right about 8 to 9 degrees BTDC. My total advance is about 40 to 42 degrees. The popping at idle is gone and it accelerates better. Adjusting the idle mixture was only giving small differences in the way the engine idled so I left it where it idled smoothest. There is still backfiring while in the mid to upper rpm range. I may be running rich up there. I'll try a smaller main jet soon.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not hard to tune, you are just still learning. To me it sounds like you still have multiple issues you are sorting out. So of course the resolution of ONE isn't going to be the Holy Grail.

You have to make sure you don't have any drip first. And make sure timing and ignition are spot on. And no exhaust leaks (95% of exhaust popping are due to exhaust leaks!).

Also, I recommend instead of going down on the idle fuel, go up on the idle air, to 130.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I took your advise and opened up the idle jet holder. Any advise on what to do about the 3/4 side carb dripping? I removed the linkage so with that out of the equation could the throttle shaft be twisted? Also do you think my total timing advance be too much? Thanks Doug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: