Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you bastardize an oval to put the back window into a 74....

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:

Actually people have been hacking up and personalizing VWs since at least the 60s. You recall seeing the early vans with a bug roof and windows grafted in ?

I can't tell you how many ovals were made into baja bugs. The cars were cheap plentiful and disposable. Gone are the days when we used to cruise around the neighborhoods and finding VWs that needed a minor repair less than 100 dollars and every once in a while free. I do know that as the years roll by original unmolested cars with OG paint will bring a premium over the ones that have been shall we say customized. So Jordan the best approach might be don't make any alteration that you cannot undo at a later date. Keep those numbers matching engines off to the side. We have on occasion rescued cars from junkyards that were missing too many parts or were not worth the expense of returning to stock. In this case the sky's the limit. I bought a 55 oval two years ago. It has wrong tail lights and missing a few trim pieces and had a dual port stuffed in it. I have acquired a 36hp engine and I'll find those tail lights. I think it's easy to look at what someone else is doing and think geez that person is fucking that up but who are we to judge? Maybe the guy doing the oval really wants one but can't afford the real thing so he's making one.
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not ask the reason why I just obey the rule of law And the rule is if its too rusty to save why bother? Anyway I think it would really be cool to make my 74 rust-free Montana car with hail damage look like a 57. So whoever came to my defense Thank you. Nobody answered my question though Is the shape of the roof any diffferent from a big window ragtop to an oval window rag ...?... somebody asked me that question and I didn't know. After grafting the oval roof at a later date a newer big window rag grafted in....I think that's what he meant in asking.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
talljordan wrote:

Actually people have been hacking up and personalizing VWs since at least the 60s. You recall seeing the early vans with a bug roof and windows grafted in ?

I can't tell you how many ovals were made into baja bugs. The cars were cheap plentiful and disposable. Gone are the days when we used to cruise around the neighborhoods and finding VWs that needed a minor repair less than 100 dollars and every once in a while free. I do know that as the years roll by original unmolested cars with OG paint will bring a premium over the ones that have been shall we say customized. So Jordan the best approach might be don't make any alteration that you cannot undo at a later date. Keep those numbers matching engines off to the side. We have on occasion rescued cars from junkyards that were missing too many parts or were not worth the expense of returning to stock. In this case the sky's the limit. I bought a 55 oval two years ago. It has wrong tail lights and missing a few trim pieces and had a dual port stuffed in it. I have acquired a 36hp engine and I'll find those tail lights. I think it's easy to look at what someone else is doing and think geez that person is fucking that up but who are we to judge? Maybe the guy doing the oval really wants one but can't afford the real thing so he's making one.

Yeahhhhh but in the 60's ovals were plentiful and cheap. Those days are long gone. Now that ovals are rare and worth something people will pay a pretty penny for even a total rustbucket because they can use the metal for their own resto.

But hey, thats just like, my opinion man.

Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
talljordan wrote:

Yeahhhhh but in the 60's ovals were plentiful and cheap. Those days are long gone. ******************* Now that ovals are rare and worth something people will pay a pretty penny for even a total rustbucket because they can use the metal for their own resto.*****************

But hey, thats just like, my opinion man.

I had a rustbucket '57 Ghia for sale...never did sell it...some guy wanted the seats and visors and what all else, I forget because it was exclusive to early Ghias....he said that those parts would be going for a good cause...like I care about his project? He made me a good offer but if those missing parts would prevent me from a sale of the whole thing then what good is it, or what's in it for me? A few bucks. Big deal.
grendelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: New owner of '79 SB CA version (EGR question) Reply with quote

Very well cared for but aging '79 SB - CA version with EGR. I don't have emissions where I live (TX) but the muffler is pretty shoddy and the EGR has been cut at some point under the the car ( and the Exhaust pipe end of the EGR blocked up). I want to get rid of the rusted through EGR and replace this and get it working correctly again. I know I might not NEED to since i don't have to pass an emissions ( no intention of bringing this back to CA Smile
I read somewhere else here that I need to check if the EGR valve even works but I can't find any procedure or pictures of the actual valve or what a Good test is? I have Muir and Bentley and plenty of pictures and explanations of what it does but not positive what to do if it's been disabled like this. (a picture of it would show the same rusted through filter box others have posted but the pipe leading to the exhaust ( From the exhaust actually) is cut and crimped and the gasket end near the Cat is soldered over.
grendelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: New owner of '79 SB CA version (Tie Rod end question) Reply with quote

The above EGR questions actually came about as I inspected under the car while getting into the brakes. Car brakes were scary at best and really needed attention ( figure I should stop before worrying about going faster Smile
SO when I got all the tires off ( ready to put on front disks ) I noted the front tie rod ends rubber is completely dry rotted and flat and torn all the way around . Pretty much destroyed. I thought of getting new Rubber covers but I have to assume these have been like this for years. I'm assuming dirt and crud are in the balls ( of the car). Very Happy
So I got some new tie rod ends from AMA? and I'm waiting on those before I can finish brakes and get car out in the sun again.

Question - I'm in the middle between daily driveability ( disk brakes ) and restoration ( trying to keep original tie rod ends) so, Are the old ends saveable - i.e. rebuildable? can they be dismantled in any way and greased and new rubber put on - or at the cost, are new ends the best bet? Opinion or facts welcome!
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of '79 SB CA version (Tie Rod end question) Reply with quote

grendelson wrote:
The above EGR questions actually came about as I inspected under the car while getting into the brakes. Car brakes were scary at best and really needed attention ( figure I should stop before worrying about going faster Smile
SO when I got all the tires off ( ready to put on front disks ) I noted the front tie rod ends rubber is completely dry rotted and flat and torn all the way around . Pretty much destroyed. I thought of getting new Rubber covers but I have to assume these have been like this for years. I'm assuming dirt and crud are in the balls ( of the car). Very Happy
So I got some new tie rod ends from AMA? and I'm waiting on those before I can finish brakes and get car out in the sun again.

Question - I'm in the middle between daily driveability ( disk brakes ) and restoration ( trying to keep original tie rod ends) so, Are the old ends saveable - i.e. rebuildable? can they be dismantled in any way and greased and new rubber put on - or at the cost, are new ends the best bet? Opinion or facts welcome!

Why not just buy new tie rod ends? Keeping the originals seems a little silly. Especially considering a failure can cost you your car or your life.

grendelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of '79 SB CA version (Tie Rod end question) Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:

Why not just buy new tie rod ends? Keeping the originals seems a little silly. Especially considering a failure can cost you your car or your life.

I did buy new ends - my questions was IF tie rod ends can be rebuilt ( I'm keeping Every part I swap ( even the drums etc.) so that it can be put back to stock if I ever want to for a show or full 100% restoration. Right now I'm more concerned about driveability and was curious if tie rod ends were something that can be rebuilt. In function they seem like a CV joint - as long as you catch the rubber tear early you can just put on new grease and new rubber boot. I was curious if Tie rod ends were similar. And what happens when a tie rod end fails? This rubber has been totally flat and shot for a LONG time from the looks of it. It seems like all it would do is get harder to turn and noisier rather than any catastrophic blowing apart - but I have very little experience here so asking in the Stupid Questions forum Smile
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tie rod ends fail, you no longer have steering control of your car. And it is fairly likely your whole front suspension can get ripped off or badly damaged.

grendelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
If your tie rod ends fail, you no longer have steering control of your car. And it is fairly likely your whole front suspension can get ripped off or badly damaged.

After writing the above I started looking at the way they are made and I saw what you mean - If dirty enough the ball, I suppose, could pop out on its own! Like a REALLY bad CV joint - if left to make noise long enough - could break at the bearings and rip right off ( I've caused this on my Jetta raising engine without loosening the axle nut enough Sad So this is a part I'll replace happily and not worry about the STOCK LOOK of the original ones!

Anyone have info on the EGR question above ( Of course anyone sitting around on a Sunday reading forums instead of out driving like I would be doing if my car had tires and brakes Smile
grendelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: 1979 Super Beetle. Parts appear to be all wrong :( Reply with quote

I thought this was a pretty stock 1979 VW SB. Originally from CA it has a FI, CAT, and rusted out and crimped off from exhaust EGR. However reading the docs on AFC I found here indicate that 79+ VW vehicles had Electronic ignition. But this car seems to have points still - so now I'm confused. Is the doc JUST referring to buses and other NON beetles? I'll keep looking for engine # links - and I think the Muir book and possibly Bentley has the engine numbers so I can try to figure out if anything was swapped out.

One more EGR question ( for today... Wink ) It seems like the rusted out EGR filter housing leading straight up through the tin to the underside of the intake is a massive vacuum leak of unmetered air! The valve is supposed to be activated at idle and WOT. how do I check if this was completely blocked off? Just remove the upper half of egr tubing to intake ? is there something folks here have seen done to the intake portion to make it blocked or never open? This is my first run in with it - I've tuned carb motorcycles and was hoping this was a carb car but I got what I got, gotta learn how it's supposed to work. Seems EGR was trying to solve the NOx problem on the late 70's and now it isn't seen as the enemy as much as all emissions - so is just removing the EGR pipes and filter and treating it as a car that never had one OK? Seems this would mess with the tables/calculations in the EFI since NO EGR gases are being pulled into the intake as designed... OR doesn't this matter since it was ONLY to lower heat in cylinders by lowering flammable gases present? I'm making myself confused -really just wondering if investing in new EGR and trying to get it working back to original state is even worth it since in the end it just makes engine less powerful - but less "polluty".
socal74super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my turn for a stupid question... Confused.

in order to install mirrors into my door hinge i need to replace the entirestud with a stud that is made for that purpose

-74 super

i dont like the mirrors in the original spot

also if that is a hassle what are other good spots for a super for the outside mirrors Shocked

thanks in advance
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter4 wrote:
Another question:

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I can see in the tubing that there are large air pockets. Do I need to do something about them? Are they affecting the readings of the gauge?

The only effect air has in the line is that it slows the response of the gauge. The actual values are unaffected by the presence of air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to learn the correct way from all you VW "wizards" on Samba I have a "newbie" question:
Replaced a broken throttle cable yesterday on my 1974 'vert and noticed the accelerator pedal has torqued over years of use and I now want to replace it with a "super ball" pedal from unique-parts.com. The question I have is do I have to pull the whole pedal assembly from the car or?" If I do have to pull the whole assembly from the car, what is involved with doing that? I will probably replace the clutch shaft with the improved shaft that unique-products has produced as well.
Any and all advice is appreciated, is this something I should leave to the pros?

Thanks!!
RabidSquirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Beetles. Owned a 71 Beetle a few years ago but it needed new floor panels and I got tired of getting wet going through puddles so I sold it. Just bought a 72 Super and I'm working out some kinks. I have quite a few stupid questions but I'll just ask a couple.

I lost my right exhaust pipe soon after buying it. I thought that's weird must not have been put on well. I bought another set put them on and made sure to crank them real tight. I wanted to make sure they didn't' go any where. Couple weeks later I lost the same right exhaust pipe. Is some one playing a cruel joke or has this happened to anyone else?

I got a weird ticking noise when the clutch is engaged. As soon as I push in on the clutch it goes away. It's strange because it doesn't go faster when the car goes faster it's just a constant tick until I push in the clutch. Any ideas?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RabidSquirrel wrote:
Hey I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Beetles. Owned a 71 Beetle a few years ago but it needed new floor panels and I got tired of getting wet going through puddles so I sold it. Just bought a 72 Super and I'm working out some kinks. I have quite a few stupid questions but I'll just ask a couple.

I lost my right exhaust pipe soon after buying it. I thought that's weird must not have been put on well. I bought another set put them on and made sure to crank them real tight. I wanted to make sure they didn't' go any where. Couple weeks later I lost the same right exhaust pipe. Is some one playing a cruel joke or has this happened to anyone else?

I got a weird ticking noise when the clutch is engaged. As soon as I push in on the clutch it goes away. It's strange because it doesn't go faster when the car goes faster it's just a constant tick until I push in the clutch. Any ideas?

I had the same problem with my pea shooters loosening up. I made it a point to check them every week and snugging as necessary. The problem eventually went away. Although I do give them a twist during the 3000 mile tune up.
RabidSquirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Good to know I'm not crazy. I'll get some new ones and check them often.

Update on the clicking. I noticed it was when I pushed on the gas not the clutch. Just so happened when I was pushing on the clutch I also let off the gas which was the confusion. I think I have a noisy voltage regulator clicking when the voltage goes up which is why it didn't speed up or slow down with with the car. I'll have to look into getting a solid state one.
RabidSquirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this. Got some good advice and more questions. I went to a local beetle part store and talked with a guy. He said with the tail pipes if I get some channel locks and squeeze the pipes on the left and right side then install the tail pipe and it should hold better. He said don't do the top and bottom make sure it's left and right sides. I gave mine a light squeeze and put the new pipe on. It seems to be holding a lot better.

I asked about the voltage regulator clicking and he said a 72 beetle shouldn't have a voltage regulator. They have an alternator and it must be a rear window defrost or something else that's clicking. That sounded weird to me but any knowledge I have comes from my experience with my old 71 standard beetle. Does a 72 super not have a voltage regulator?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RabidSquirrel wrote:
Update on this. Got some good advice and more questions. I went to a local beetle part store and talked with a guy. He said with the tail pipes if I get some channel locks and squeeze the pipes on the left and right side then install the tail pipe and it should hold better. He said don't do the top and bottom make sure it's left and right sides. I gave mine a light squeeze and put the new pipe on. It seems to be holding a lot better.

I asked about the voltage regulator clicking and he said a 72 beetle shouldn't have a voltage regulator. They have an alternator and it must be a rear window defrost or something else that's clicking. That sounded weird to me but any knowledge I have comes from my experience with my old 71 standard beetle. Does a 72 super not have a voltage regulator?

your parts guy should recheck his manuals. 72 sure does have a generator stock. 74 is first year of alternator stock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 128

Jump to: