Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting rid of the gas tank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevieC wrote:
The more I look at it I don't see any supports for the body past the passenger compartment
Maybe the whole front is just hanging there Heres' the tank bottom

With the rack and pinion steering you have, you don't need to have a tank that has all the indentations a stock tank has on the bottom to clear the stock steering column, steering arm, and tie rods. You could build a modified a tank that would make use of all the unused space, that would hold significantly more than 10 gallons. It could be huge! It also looks like the lowest point on your tank is at the front.

Ensure the tank is bolted in with tabs. Ensure brackets on the front of the front suspension support the weight of the tank and the front of the body.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
StevieC wrote:
The more I look at it I don't see any supports for the body past the passenger compartment
Maybe the whole front is just hanging there Heres' the tank bottom

With the rack and pinion steering you have, you don't need to have a tank that has all the indentations a stock tank has on the bottom to clear the stock steering column, steering arm, and tie rods. You could build a modified a tank that would hold significantly more than 10 gallons that would make use of all the unused space. It could be huge! It also looks like the lowest point on your tank is at the front.

Ensure the tank is bolted in with tabs. Ensure brackets on the front of the front suspension support the weight of the tank and the front of the body.

I could not agree more. From your pictures I can see/cannot see the following:

1. I do not see any bolts holding the tank in the body.
2. I do not see any bracing to support the weight of the fuel up front.
3. The fuel tap is in the rear and higher then the front.
4. You have a lot of room to modify the bottom of the tank for a better fuel pickup and larger capacity.

You also need to pull the bottom tap to see if it has an internal riser that will raise the bottom fuel pool empty level.

I have modified my Manx tank to give me approximately 13 gallon and moved the fuel tap to the lowest point.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I made clearances for the tie rods (You can see the angle of the bottom late) and a slight kick in to clear the rag joint. It will get an internal coating of Red Kote to seal any potential pin holes. If I were to do it again, I would save to top half of the fuel tank and build a total custom bottom.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, Wow, what a great job!

Steve, your tank could be even bigger than Joe's, your steering column mostly passes below the lowest point of the tank
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why anyone would need more than the 9 gallons that the stock tank holds? My buggy goes between 340 and 400 miles on a tank of fuel and frankly, I'm ready to stretch my legs after about 200 miles.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get 35-40mpg? 9x35=315. Never got that kind of mileage even when I had a 40hp. Well done.

I get 19mpg (x9.3 give me about 180 miles of range) and out in some of the places I go in the west you can be many miles of slow going, gas eating bad roads from the nearest filling station. All I have to do is go too far past my halfway point of 90 miles and I better have extra fuel on board. That is real easy to do out here. I'm going to deal with it by making Jerry can mounts. That will more than double my onboard fuel capacity and range, and I STILL will have to check my routes carefully to make sure I don't outkick my punt coverage.

I'm a little familiar with Stevie C's surroundings....not a lotta "Gas n Sips" where he is going. And his current issue is that he only has what is essentially a 5 gallon tank.

I'm with you though on the 200 mile limit...I want to get out of the car at that point just to make sure that I still can. I'm looking for fuel at about 140 anyway.
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
You get 35-40mpg? 9x35=315. Never got that kind of mileage even when I had a 40hp. Well done.

I get 19mpg (x9.3 give me about 180 miles of range) and out in some of the places I go in the west you can be many miles of slow going, gas eating bad roads from the nearest filling station. All I have to do is go too far past my halfway point of 90 miles and I better have extra fuel on board. That is real easy to do out here. I'm going to deal with it by making Jerry can mounts. That will more than double my onboard fuel capacity and range, and I STILL will have to check my routes carefully to make sure I don't outkick my punt coverage.

I'm a little familiar with Stevie C's surroundings....not a lotta "Gas n Sips" where he is going. And his current issue is that he only has what is essentially a 5 gallon tank.

I'm with you though on the 200 mile limit...I want to get out of the car at that point just to make sure that I still can. I'm looking for fuel at about 140 anyway.

yeah I couldn't make it to the gas station from here, I guess I'm getting about 50 maybe 60 miles out of the tank the way it is
It's also because my gearing is so low it's screaming along at 50mph guzzling the fuel
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect my buggy to weigh in around 2000 pounds, and will have a 2165 drinking through 40 mm dual Dell's. So, I will feel lucky to get 19 MPG while crossing the US in going to Big Bear in July. I specifically built nerf bars that are partially closed to carry an extra Jerry can and ammo box (tool box).

One of the C2C crew told me they averaged 17 mpg crossing the US in their buggy. At 13 gallon in my tank, that will give me a total of 221 miles from tip-top full to bone dry. So, 150 to 160 miles I will be wanting to get fuel for a safety margin.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking I was going to be driving my buggy to work 80 miles away to save gas lol... I mean c'mon it's a Volkswagen Very Happy

But my big ram diesel 4x4 gets better mileage LMAO
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I expect my buggy to weigh in around 2000 pounds, and will have a 2165 drinking through 40 mm dual Dell's. So, I will feel lucky to get 19 MPG while crossing the US in going to Big Bear in July. I specifically built nerf bars that are partially closed to carry an extra Jerry can and ammo box (tool box).

One of the C2C crew told me they averaged 17 mpg crossing the US in their buggy. At 13 gallon in my tank, that will give me a total of 221 miles from tip-top full to bone dry. So, 150 to 160 miles I will be wanting to get fuel for a safety margin.

I might try to drive the buggy up to Big Bear, it's not too far. We go up just for the day on the motorcycle sometimes

I guess you are coming from the other side
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess you are coming from the other side

About 3200 miles away from Big Bear as I sit and type. It should take me a little longer than you to get there.

I am thinking at the moment that 10 of us (10 buggy's) are going to make the trip.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related topic:

Does anyone know if the new EPA approved 5gal Jerry Cans will leak if stored sideways? I've got some old style ones with the big screw on caps that need a lot of cleaning up, but at least I know that the cap gaskets will hold up for horizontal storage. I was poking around on the net and discovered that the new approved filler caps are a different design, but I cant find any info on horizontal storage. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the newer ones. Trying to figure out if it is worth a day spent cleaning up my old ones or if I should just buy a few new ones.

Since I am mounting a can on each tree bar they have to go sideways, they are too tall for vertical mounting.

Just read that they are called "Jerry" cans because we stole the idea from the Germans in WWII. Didn't know that, never thought about really.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a "new" style, but bought the 2.5 gallon version so it would sit vertical on my tree bars. 5 gallon would have been a whole lot nicer, but was afraid about horizontal storage.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I looked at the smaller ones for the same reason, but I would need 4x2.5 to get the 10 gallons of extra fuel I need for some of the places I want to go. The traditional 5gal ones fit just right, and in fact would also work as mudguards for the rear tires.

On the positive side, the smaller ones are lighter and would be easier to use in fueling....maybe I buy one of those just to see how it might fit with another one on each tree bar or even on my roof rack.

Joe, could you give me some dimensions off of your 2.5gal can? I cant find those specs either.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.5 gallon I bought off of eBay is 13 1/4 long, 6 5/8 wide at the base, (widest point of the rolled pinch weld) and 11" tall to the highest point on the cap.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That helps.
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:

All I can say is EFI and Freeway flyer gearing.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinbaja wrote:
wythac wrote:

All I can say is EFI and Freeway flyer gearing.

And living in the flat Mid-American States. When I travel in Ohio and Indiana in my Dually 6X6 diesel, I get 23 to 24 MPG. In West Virginia I get 18 to 19 MPG.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A freeway flyer gearbox on my car would only be useful as ballast, tied to my front bumper to keep the nose down on steep hills. Too tall to be useful on a trail runner, you'd never use 3rd or 4th. Nice for flat country though, a lot less noisy at freeway speed.

An exaggeration of course. I got 23mpg on the mostly flat road from the coast last weekend, but for calculating range, I use 17mpgx9.3 as a conservative baseline for offroad ops.

Glad to see that FI is getting you almost double the mileage of my carbureted car. Next time I build a motor I'll have to look at what that might cost. In the mean time a few jerry cans strapped to the running boards as an alternative will have to suffice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: