Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble in Mexico
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Trouble in Mexico Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Not exactly sure how you will take this post but I am not sure who else to turn to. I have a T2 Bay Window Bus from Chile, which has a 1600 Aircooled Fuel Injection beetle engine which I have been told is similar to the later model Vanagons. I have an issue that I need to run by you as I am having trouble in Mexico, half way between Chile and Alaska my final destination.

The trouble is that the engine just cuts out (like fuel starvation) at freeway speeds, more so when it is hot or the gas tank is low. After 5 minutes of the engine off it will start and run for a few more miles.

I have confirmed that there is sufficient fuel arriving out of the Injector rail and that there is a good spark from the HT leads to the Spark Plugs.

Is there any known issues or does this sound familiar to anyone at all?

It is not something that I can go to a mechanic about as the issue is pretty hard to reproduce.

Any help appreciated or feel free to point me in the right direction. I live in my Bus so I don't have a lot of access to the internet.

Thanks

Ben
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check that your fuel filter and pump aren't clogged with something like rust from an old gas tank. I had that problem and ran into symptoms exactly like you describe. At low speeds or at idle, there was enough gas to keep it running fine but at highway speeds more gas is needed and that's when the problems would start. Especially after driving on a bumpy road for a while which stirred up the gunk in my gas tank.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The trouble is that the engine just cuts out (like fuel starvation) at freeway speeds, more so when it is hot or the gas tank is low. After 5 minutes of the engine off it will start and run for a few more miles."

I agree with the poster above that poor fuel quality or cleanliness may be the culprit. If so, the crud would form a dam at the fuel pump screen or the fuel filter and, after shut off, the dam partly falls away.

Given the quote above from your post, however, it is also possible that your fuel pump is slowly failing. Hot weather and low fuel levels (the fuel cools the pump) will affect a pump that is wearing out.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
You may want to check that your fuel filter and pump aren't clogged with something like rust from an old gas tank. I had that problem and ran into symptoms exactly like you describe. At low speeds or at idle, there was enough gas to keep it running fine but at highway speeds more gas is needed and that's when the problems would start. Especially after driving on a bumpy road for a while which stirred up the gunk in my gas tank.

I don't have a fuel pressure guage but I did the coke can fill test in 30 seconds and it seems to pass so I think there is enough gas. Filters were new 5 months ago.

Ignition gets hot so perhaps there is an electrical fault but the spark is still getting to the spark plugs so if there is fuel and spark why no bang bang? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a newer engine without distributor and points?

I have a 2004 Mexibeetle that was doing the same thing till the coil pack just died.

Check with some locals because the beetle taxi's in Mexico were mostly 1600 engines. Parts are readily available.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:

I don't have a fuel pressure guage but I did the coke can fill test in 30 seconds and it seems to pass so I think there is enough gas. Filters were new 5 months ago.

Take your filter off and flow some fuel through in reverse to see what comes out of it.

Quote:
Ignition gets hot so perhaps there is an electrical fault but the spark is still getting to the spark plugs so if there is fuel and spark why no bang bang? Confused

your talking about heat - is there any chance you are getting a vapor lock in the fuel line after the engine heats up at highway speeds?
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa water in the fuel in Mexico in my experience.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when it dies, does it burp or stumble a bit before dying or does it just flat cut off?
If I had an engine stumbling a bit before dying, I would be looking at primary fuel delivery first (lift pump, filters, water in fuel). How many tanks' worth of fuel has this problem been happening on?
If I had an engine that just flat cut off I would start troubleshooting electrical things first. This would include the injection system and the sparking system.
And given what we know about VWs, I'd start with cleaning and tightening all ground wires in the engine compartment, then inspecting each crimp lug to make sure it is really on there and making contact.
If you suspect fuel problems, you might consider tanking up on AvGas at an airstrip, they *may* have better quality control on their product. But maybe not. Don't know if the product there contains lead (Look for "Sin Ploma", right) or if you still have a Catalytic Convertor?
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: stumbling etc Reply with quote

It sounds to me as if you've got a classic fuel starvation problem - and I'd bet on crud in your fuel tank coupled with a couple of tanks of sketchy fuel.
Here's a quick but temporary fix.
Take your gas cap off, then
Clamp your fuel line off between and filter, remove the fuel line from the filter.
Blow some compressed air back into the tank - this should clear off enough of the crud from the screen at the bottom of the tank to let enough fuel through
The only real solution is to change the fuel tank - they're not expensive. Or, remove the tank and figure out some way of loosening up 35 years worth of crud, crummy fuel varnish and (probably) rust and get it out of the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of Mexico? (I ask because I am in south Mexico right now, and saw a bay window broken down at the side of the road tonight.

I had similar issues......plenty of fuel out of the filter, but it was too clogged to run. Fuel filter should be easy to try.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel filter is very inexpensive and something that I change every six months or so on my 80 vanagon. I would change it and see if you can reproduce it. Then start the troubleshooting further.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico is a large country - where are you? There are two excellent VW mechanics in La Paz, Baja California:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zzFx_XjiMi-c.k2GogB4nSiPw
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stevie Ray Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a long shot, but next time it dies, as soon as you get pulled over remove the gas cap and see if you get a big "Whoosh". It could be that you're having venting problems and it's basically trying to suck the tank in.
jptech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Engine Losing power/cutting out Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

I read your post and while the 1600 type one is similiar, don't mix it with the Vanagon functions. It could be starving for fuel due to pinched or blocked tank vent lines - Remove the fuel cap when its losing power and see if things improve.

The Hall Effect Sensor should be checked. Do you have access to the 3 wire sensor located in the Distributor housing ? Get a voltmeter and a repair manual and get back to me,

John
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on a fuel problem. I would do the mentioned of blowing back to tank & change filter & stay away from the hall sensor if it has one?? Untrained can do damage here, eleminate fuel sys 1st.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, some good stuff here...

Syncro Jael wrote:
Is this a newer engine without distributor and points?

I have a 2004 Mexibeetle that was doing the same thing till the coil pack just died.

Yes it is a newer style engine with ECU, no points and a HALL Sensor etc.

Weiss Wursty wrote:
I know it's a long shot, but next time it dies, as soon as you get pulled over remove the gas cap and see if you get a big "Whoosh". It could be that you're having venting problems and it's basically trying to suck the tank in.

Yeah I tried this, there is an audible gurgling from the tank, but the problem doesn't go away when I drive with the cap off it makes no difference.

Incidentally I did a couple of hundred miles yesterday without problems Confused

This problem has been happening intermittently over several tanks of gas, the fuel filters were new at Christmas.

Dampcamper wrote:
So when it dies, does it burp or stumble a bit before dying or does it just flat cut off?

It doesn't just cut out, seems more like it is a fuel issue, but I need to double check this and come back to you.

some good suggestions there.

jptech wrote:
Hi Ben,

The Hall Effect Sensor should be checked. Do you have access to the 3 wire sensor located in the Distributor housing ? Get a voltmeter and a repair manual and get back to me,

John

I have access to the hall effect sensor and a voltmeter - talk to me Smile

Arrow

I'm going to try and provide more information the next time it breaks down.

Thanks

Ben

(Currently in Palenque, Chiapas)
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five months for a fuel filter in a place that can have bad gas seems like a long time to me. As a first step swap it out. Next step, clean the tank. I'm certain you can find a place that will flush it for you.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: poor fuel flow Reply with quote

[quote="HastaAlaska"]Thanks for the replies guys, some good stuff here...

Incidentally I did a couple of hundred miles yesterday without problems :?

This problem has been happening intermittently over several tanks of gas, the fuel filters were new at Christmas.

Dampcamper wrote:

It doesn't just cut out, seems more like it is a fuel issue, but I need to double check this and come back to you.

I had just about identical symptoms with my 2.5l vdubaru last summer. About 25km over rough roads (well sorta roads) on the way to fishing seemed to agitate all of the crud off the bottom of the tank into suspension in the fuel - as the fuel got sucked out by the fuel pump the crud collected on the tank screen, occluding it. Enough was getting through to clog the filter as well. A couple of compressed air blasts cleared the screen enough to get back on the road. The fuel flow out of the tank - by gravity into a pan - pre air blast was a really pitiful little stream, post blast it ran like a horse pissing.

On the "to do list" is change out the tank.

John
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:

Filters were new 5 months ago.

A filter can clog in a day if you get bad enough fuel. New 5 months ago means nothing. As everyone have pointed out, it seems as a clogged fuel line/filter. Start replacing/clean stuff.

This can even be done by the side of the road lying under the car. I had to do that once. Fixed my problem.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the problem is getting worse. I had to do a lot of pushing yesterday in the Mexican mountains - damn!

Seems to only happen once I've been going for a while, and now it's taking much longer to start working again after it stutters to a stall.

I confirmed that no gas (only air) was arriving at the injectors. The pump sounded like it was spinning free (i.e not pushing gas).

I disconnected the intake line from the tank to the pump (after the filter) and the gas rushed through immediately...I also heard a gurgling in the tank Exclamation

Once I reconnected the fuel line the engine started up straight away.

I will still change the filter because it sounds like it is about time anyways, but what do you make of this vacuum lock? The pump is directly below the gas tank. Removing the gas tank lid didn't seem to help the problem so what is going on?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: