Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

question regarding the 1967 oil bath cleaner and solex carbs
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: question regarding the 1967 oil bath cleaner and solex carbs Reply with quote

I have a 1967 bug rusty POS but I love it so piss off Very Happy

I would like to know what carbs I can use that my 67 oil bath air cleaner will fit on top of. I would like to have more performance such as rebuilding the engine to make the bore and stroke larger (currently a 1500cc rebuilt to 1600cc but am thinking 1776cc?). I also am toying with the possibility of getting dual port heads.

All said and done, with these upgrades, will I still be able to keep my one year 1967 oil bath air cleaner on top of a bigger and more bad ass carb that would work for the new desired set up?

Thanks,

Matt
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telling everyone here on Samba to piss off is not the way to start a topic, even though you think it might be Very Happy
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! You can use that air cleaner with...

Jody '71 wrote:
telling everyone here on Samba to piss off is not the way to start a topic, even though you think it might be Very Happy

I agree with Jody. Maybe it's time to add someone else to my ignore list.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe lighten up a bit guys... I think he was just thumbing his nose at '67 perfectionist snobs like me, with tongue in cheek. No offense taken.

I don't know the answer, though. Later carbs may or may not fit that '67 air cleaner. I know VW changed to a different style on later cars for modified preheating and emissions, but maybe the size of the carb collar stayed the same?

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '67 that is "mostly" stock. The engine is actually a 1641 using an E100 cam with straight gears. It does well enough at 65mph and returns a decent 32-33 mpg. I have considered bumping up to a SP 1776 as I do think the air cleaner and carb will handle the demands of an engine that size. But don't expect to rev it to the moon.

The thought of cutting an H0 case for 90.5 P/C's does not appeal to me though. I would use another case for that.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, enough of the piss-off stuff then. My bad.

Retaining the one year only '67 oil bath (which sat on top of the 30-1 with the power fuel jet) would be fine with a 1600 SP IMO.

BUT, the oil bath requires the two 1" warm air hoses, the one year only rear breastplate tin that has both holes for the hoses; the two pre-heat pipes for the heads (the one on the right is one year only '67).

There's no point in keeping the '67 oil bath in use if the above components are not installed. As KT mentions, I'm not sure what upgrade carb would fit the '67 oil bath. The original Solex for '67 was one of the best carbs ever made and is fine for the 1600 SP you already have, maybe a slight jet correction may be indicated for the 100cc increase over the 1500 displacement for the later model '67's.
mrross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I wasn't trying to be an asshole.

I was just telling you all I love my POS 67 regardless of whomever talks shit

Cool

I really appreciate the info you all have provided.

I do not have the 30 pict 1. Id love to rebuild one then maybe upgrade to dual port, get header exhaust and swap out the flywheel and maybe put a new transmission.

With that set up, I have heard of a freeway flyer transmission. What is the difference between that trans and the stock one I already have?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on who is doing the talking as to what it means. It's the combination of gearing of the final drive (differential) and 4th gear so the engine runs slower at higher speeds.

A 1967 that came as a 1500 already had a "taller" (smaller ratio) differential than what the 1200/1300 models came with. "Freeway Flier" sometimes refers to the gearing that VW used starting in 1973, which had an even "taller" differential but a "shorter" 4th gear, resulting in about the same engine speeds as before. Or it refers to using that 1973 differential along with a "taller" 4th gear such as the one used in 1972, or other ratios...

It's only really effective if you have the horsepower to match the gearing. Also you run into issues with the engine turning too slow to properly spin the cooling fan, and that can lead to overheating issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very detailed reply. Much appreciated!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: