Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone crossed the Darién Gap?
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Anyone crossed the Darién Gap? Reply with quote

I'd like to drive down to South America in my 1972 Super Beetle starting in either USA or México. I have friends I'd like to see in Ecuador, Perú and Argentina. But there's that infernal Darién Gap between Panamá and Colombia. No roads, no customs, and lots of guerrillas.

Any suggestions?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.overlandtraveller.com/destinations/colombia_panama_travel_darien_gap.html

See what I mean?
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to ship your vehicle from Panama to Colombia or some other country in South America. Lots of links on The Samba in the Bus and Vanagon forums of people doing that trip. Here's one of the links of a guy who just did it (page 5).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=80
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the best option. Probably a bit pricy, but hey, it's not every day you drive across continents.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
the Dutch journalist Dieusaert describes his trip from Mexico to Buenos Aires in a dark blue Beetle in a great book about the countries and the people available in Spanish:

http://www.amazon.com/Diarios-del-Vocho-Am%C3%A9ri...amp;sr=1-1

He made it by boat also.
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the trip 2009 - 2011, If I were to do it again (in a heart beat) I would probably ship the vehicle from Miami or Houston to Cartagena, Colombia and fly to Cartagena to meet up with the vehicle. Mexico and Central America are fabulous and should not be missed and can be visited on your return trip (if you are bringing the bug back). It took us more than a year to reach Argentina from Colombia, distance was not an issue but each country we visited had so much to see and do it seems we never had enough time. If I recall correctly the shipping costs and flight from Panama to Cartagena were about the same as our return trip where we shipped and flew from Cartagena to Miami. Have a great time on your trip.

Mike
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on what car shipping costs between Panama and Colombia or US and Colombia are? I'm trying to figure out a reasonable budget.
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used Seaboard Marine to ship our vehicle. You can sometimes find someone to share a container with you. Check out:

www.drivetheamericas.com

They have some forums with people looking to ship vehicles together.

Below is the shipping agent we used in Cartagena. Luis and his wife Sonya were great to work with. Our spanish speaking skills were not quite good enough for us to "keep it simple". Luis speaks passable english.

We did not share a container to Miami, I believe we paid about $1700.00 for 20' container and our flight costs were around $250.00 per person 1 way to Miami.

Good Luck!

Enlace Caribe Ltda.
Manga, 3a. Avenida, Calle 28, No. 26-47, Of. 103
Cartagena, Colombia
Ph +57 (5) 660 8960
Mob + 57 315 758 5872
E-mail [email protected]
Website www.enlacecaribe.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: