Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

which shoulder harness seat belt set?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: which shoulder harness seat belt set? Reply with quote

I want to add a shoulder harness to my '65 Bug and I have two choices. First, I could buy a used original set. Or, second, I could buy a new set from Wolfsburg West. The price would be the same for either set, about $65 plus shipping. Neither are the retractable kind.

My question is about which set would be the best quality? I can guess what the original set would be like, but I've never seen the Wolfsburg West ones so they could be high quality, strong material, or something cheap and unsafe. I would prefer new over used if the quality was the same.

Any opinions about this? Or is there another brand that's better.

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you should buy the new ones for safety...I trust WW for quality parts

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3 point belts from Wolfsburg West in my `63. They are a quality setup. Material seems to be the same as what is in a new car. I am happy with the product. I would not not install 50 year old used belts in a car if I ever planned to actually drive it. Just my opinion.
Shane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surferjoet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg belts are the way to go, just installed them in the front and rear of my 66 ..... Love the results

I'm willing to ship any where at buyers expense
Free delivery within 200 miles of me
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sold on the non retractable, the WW set is good.

Had them for about 2 years, but I got sick of dealing with them and went with the Ebay Humvee retractable set for 30 bucks. Doesn't look as nice, but much easier to live with. I was constantly fighting the WW ones out from between the seats, or slamming the door on them.

I still have the WW set in the back, holding in the car seat. Since they don't get used a lot the lack of retractor is no big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the kind of answers I needed. Now I have two more questions:

1. with the Wolfsberg West belts, can I use my original bolts or is there a reason I need to buy the WW seat belt adapter plugs. Or perhaps just the one for the upper mount on each side.

2. pb_foots ...do you still have a link to the specific eBay Humvee retractable set that you bought, or the model number/brand name. I haven't found them yet.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car had no seatbelts in it before I put them in so I bought the WW bolt kit.
Shane
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-UNITS-3-POINT-SEAT-BEL...338a72b58e

There's a whole thread about these belts with pics and instructions.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526370&highlight=seat+belts

They work great and were the right choice for me since I wasn't really concerned about staying original. I really liked the look of the WW belts and the quality was good, either way you can't go wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots...thanks for the links. On one of them I'm up to page 7 out of 12 but it's mostly about newer bugs and convertible bugs. I'm stuck on figuring out what bracket to use to attach the retracting unit to the floor bolt behind the front seat (that's where the current lap belt attaches). How did you do it and did you have to use a bracket of some kind (the retracting unit has to be vertical).

Also, on the belt there is an extra sliding metal piece(with a bolt hole)...it's a fourth attachment point and I don't have a clue where it is supposed to go. Does it attach to the bracket(mentioned above) below the retracting unit?

I forgot to mention that I've received the Hummer set of retractable belts so that's why the specific questions. The order came with the belts and two plastic bags with bolts and a couple of washers. No brackets, and no mention of them.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, in that thread there is a link to the bracket you need. it bolts to the back of the retractor and allows you to bolt it to the bottom of the B pillar.

here it is:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D857%2D024

You're also going to need these I think.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D111%2D702%2DHRD%2DPR

I'm not sure what 4th point you're referring to. You have the retractor bolted to the bottom of the B pillar, (where the door latches) with the bracket in the above link, then there's another point at the top of the same pillar where the top of the belt bolts to, then the end bracket bolts to the same bolt as the retractor.

I'm on the road so can't post pics of mine, but there are quite a few in that other thread that should help. here are a couple. See how the retractor mounts to the bracket, and the bracket to the car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Potsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the humvee seat belts. They work well and feel much safer than the original 3 points in my 67. I actually bought a set of 4 thinking I'd use them in the back too, but it doesn't look like they'll fit. Has anyone done this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: