Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump, buy another or rebuild one
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump, buy another or rebuild one Reply with quote

I'm currently on my second new empi (i know...) fuel pump and it looks like I may need to get another.

Since my fuel gauge is erratic I never know exactly when I might run out of fuel. Usually I can tell by where the needle is but rainy weather seems to make it shift around. Anyway, I ran out of fuel the other day and pulled to the side of the road, gas can to the rescue. Seems ever since then the car acts fuel starved. It's ok for the first few mins or mile or so then it starts loosing power bucking just barely. I experienced this before when I found that the previous fuel pump I had in it (empi) wasn't squirting fuel but about a few inches so I changed the fuel pump to the current one in it a few months ago.

I fear that running out of gas has hurt the pump that's in it and was wondering if it was just best to rebuild a pump that came with the other engine I got with my car. It's a brosol brazillan pump. I took it apart to check out how the insides were and clean it up some. It was full of old hard fuel and what looks like dirt. I figured now would be the perfect time to try and see if I could rebuild it, it's something I've wanted to do for a while. So I ordered a kit from wolfsburgwest for the 1200-1600 rebuild. Seems pretty straight forward until I read on here about preloading...

Since I've never done one of these rebuilds is it best if I found a better fuel pump to replace the one I have now? Maybe one that will last the next time I run out of gas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Received: Washington, USA
Original Color: L 12 D Shantung Yellow
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198555

This is the kit I bought for it, but when I took apart the pump I have it didn't have some of those parts. Like a midsized spring, or that little piece of black what looks like felt.

In the picture below, aside from the obvious pump base gaskets X'ed out the 4 pieces that I'm pointing at are what I didn't see inside the pump.

SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clean the contacts and earth connections on the vibrator unit and it's interface with the speedo, to get that guage stable. While you are there, throw out the metal vibrator and replace with new black solidstate one.

Check with a multimeter that fuel tank is grounding properly to the chassis.

Also pull sender from tank and make sure the float hasn't sprung a leak.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pieces are for the delivery valve assembly, and ARE part of your fuel pump. Scroll down about halfway on this page: http://www.hotvws.com/content.php?contentID=45
you need to be careful removing it. The felt piece in the kit replaces a bakelite piece in the pump. I re-used the original piece cleaned up and the new spring.

If you ran your tank dry, chances are some gunk got through your fuel line and is what's causing your hesitation problems. Take out the fuel lines in the engine compartment and blow through them. Take the top of the carb off and remove the float needle valve and blow it out as well as the carb inlet passage. A small chunk of crap or rubber from new fuel lines will bounce around and clog that valve, causing the engine to run like shite. put a new filter by the tranny. This is the LEAST you can do, will cost about $5 and some time, and hopefully will solve your problem without swapping the fuel pump. I would run some fuel through the pump before attaching the hose back to the carb just to work out any little chunks that may be floating around in it. The rebuildable pumps are nice cuz they have a little filter screen in them you can take out and clean occasionally. I rebuilt a Bocar one like yours recently for my new engine.

Good luck sir...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a clear filter before the tranny. That's what makes me think it may be pump related. :(
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the '71 SB has the same tank as the '73 SB. Have you looked at the filter at the bottom of the fuel tank?

Link

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank inside the car is only 2 years old. It's built in filter doesn't line up with the hole in the body of the car to unscrew it out.

It feels like something did get sucked into the carb though, but I dunno how. From the tank i have rubber fuel line to hard line to rubber - <clear filter> - rubber - metal - rubber - pump. Lines are less than a year old and haven't been played with much. However I guess it could suck something through and into the carb. I haven't had the chance to take the oil bath breather off and the top off the carb to look in the bowl. I can imagine a piece of rubber there for some reason.

Anyway, got the pump parts cleaned and waiting on the rebuild kit for the fuel pump from wolfsburgwest. Still though I took everything apart from it and don't see that ring piece anywhere.

SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^bottom row of this pic, 3rd, 4th, and 5th items from the right are the pieces you have pointed out in the kit pic with red lines. They are different in the kit but will fit. I re-used the old ones with the new spring. The ring you have pointed out on the far left of the rebuild kit pic is a gasket you use under the bolt that gives access to the filter screen.
Also the two halves in the middle of your pic above go around the shaft to the big diaphragm. They are busted obviously. you'll see it in the kit picture as a black ring going around the base of the connecting rod that attaches to the pump rod lever.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this going to be a problem? Doesn't look like this part was put in centered.

The underside of the side that faces up even has these little teeth like it wasn't shaved off or something.

SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of a good solution I could use to clean some tar like old gas out of the inside of the filter? Something that won't eat the plastic?
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a jig to pretention the diaphragm yet?

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a jig, but I have read about creating one with screws and stuff.

I haven't reassembled anything yet, waiting to see if someone can tell me if that part being off center will be a problem or not. I emailed wolfsburgwest about it and haven't heard back from them either.
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpwanna wrote:
Anyone know of a good solution I could use to clean some tar like old gas out of the inside of the filter? Something that won't eat the plastic?

If your plastic fuel filter is dirty I think it's best to replace it then to try to clean it.
I bet the rubber thing will be fine . It's just sucks that's about the best we can expect these days
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it the gasket just looks a little oversized on one side. But looking at the top part of the shell, there is a ridge that presses on the gasket edges to make a seal, I think as long as it all fits, you should be good to go. If the gasket is sticking out too much, shave it down a 16th or so on the offending side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107797
more on the jig

Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy named Rich from wolfsburgwest is sending me another top piece to replace the one he even says looks defective.

Thanks for the link to the jig.

Should I paint the fuel pump, if so what kind of paint? I have a spray can of engine/muffler silver I used on the muffler. I only ask this because when I bought a rebuilt solex it was shiny metal aluminum looking. Kinda want the parts to match.
SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
Scorpwanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

SOLEX 34-PICT 3 Carb
I've got a Bentley
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polish it up and give it a few coats of clear. Not as pretty as polished metal, but the prettyness lasts more than a week.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: