Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Bone Bus is in need of a new exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the quality of the Vintage Speed stuff is very good, nothing like China made stuff. I hate Chinese crap and thought the VS being from Taiwan was a red flag but they build them very well. I bet no other exhaust builder has every employee wear surgical masks and gloves to assemble their exhausts. And they do make merged headers. In dyno tests the merged style system was able to produce one horse power more than the VS system, and lost 4 foot pounds of torque. Oh and the VS is 4 decibels quieter than a merged with a turbo muffler. Rich, you need to get some high flow heater boxes and a system with 1 5/8 size tubing. Your engine will be more powerful and run cooler than it does now. Toss those stock boxes, get a quality system, adjust those chrome moly push rods and rock on mr.! Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 1/2 in would be acceptable.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices out there. It's mostly VS, china single packs (empi, bug pack, s&s) and stock. I'm not gonna invest $300 on new 1.5" heat exchangers and then a $700 exhaust system. My budget is $500 or less for this repair/upgrade. I could just have the hole welded and call it good. I was hoping I was missing something in the realm at exhausts. I guess I was, 1.5" boxes Smile .

I ended up ordering a bunch of stuff from CIP. I had my cart all ready but still wasn't 100% convinced I should pull the trigger without calling. I called, the guy explained their process to me and gave me a coupon code for the site. I placed a good sized order of the exhaust stuff and other items I had been looking for. So some time on the next 2 weeks I'm gonna have some fun tinkering on the bus. Hope to have this installed before I head to Denver on 5/17) to the VW on the Green event. I will update when I get the parts. Thx
’65 Deluxe Build
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepper i went threw the same thing Their is NOT a lot to choose from Crying or Very sad
Since you have a good size motor them 1.5 boxes should free up some Ponys & run cooler to boot Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post some photos of my Vintage Speed exhaust when it arrives.

I have run three different Bugpack systems on my Bus over the last 18 years. All the 4-1 merged header with single QP exhaust. Most recent one was ceramic coated. Sound is loud but nice. Non-ceramic coated rusts out after a while. The ceramic coated exhaust, after 4 years, still looks good but cracks have developed in several areas.

Plus I just don't like the "slumped" look of it anymore.

This has been an interesting thread but, after looking around, I saw $200 systems, $1,000+ systems, and then Vintage Speed in between.

When the OP gets his exhaust I'd be interested in his thoughts.
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I was hoping I was missing something in the realm at exhausts. I guess I was, 1.5" boxes Smile .

I skinned my old heater boxes and but them on my J tubes.
what are sold as 1.5 heater boxes are just that.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...411b4c2813

A1 sidewinder and supertrapp is how Im rolling the A1 muffler is loud and no back pressure.
this img is of the 3300 empi with the suppertapp but has the same look of the A1 with supertrapp
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Vintage Speed muffler for the single cab. Although I have not installed it yet, I can say that it was impressively packed, and the welding on it is simply beautiful. At least on the outside. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil_azza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv seen alot of people here including good friends in the uk using vintage speed and i have no heard any bad press form the products the quality is immense
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil_azza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv seen alot of people here including good friends in the uk using vintage speed and i have no heard any bad press form the products the quality is immense
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't see how It will make good power and torque without a 4into1 collector Confused Confused Sure it's stainless steel and will last until the next iceage,But I don't mind replacing headers IF they work,for a while anyhow Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
rustybusjef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is whats going on my 2180cc 71 Deluxe.
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3644
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure a 4-1 header will produce better HP than Vintage Speed's exhaust will. Is that "extra" power going to change my life?

No.

I like the subtle looks of the VS unit, stainless construction is beneficial, and I'm getting tired of seeing that QP hanging of by engine at an angle... doesn't "look" balanced.

It's also loud as f*&k.

That CB unit looks impressive.
sambabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I just can't see how It will make good power and torque without a 4into1 collector Confused Confused Sure it's stainless steel and will last until the next iceage,But I don't mind replacing headers IF they work,for a while anyhow Laughing

X2
1971 Westy, 2017cc 78.4 x 90.5 Tims Stage 1 plus 42x37, CB 44IDF's, 135 mains, 175 airs, F111, 50 idles, Engle 110, 30mm, 009, single QP, DD CHT 300*f, VDO oil always 180* Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541370
1970 convertible bug, 1835cc, single 40IDF, disks.
Symptoms Solved and Fixed http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551358
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at these test vids, pretty much the same hp numbers etc between both.
http://www.vintagespeed.com.tw/Exhaustsystem/Exhaustsystem-main.html
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is purely anecdotal, but my bus performs better pulling away from a stop with the stock exhaust than it did with header/quiet pack. I lost some upper RPM HP, but I barely miss it and having ground clearance is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Deep sump hangs lower then my header Laughing
That CB header has a nice long collector Cool
But will it clear the mustash bar?????
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick search and didn't see one on a bus. But I do not like the look of how this merged header into a single pack looks. It sticks out way to far, kinda like the pro flow above would. I have seen the pipe stick out even further on some rides.

[img]
[/img]
’65 Deluxe Build
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the Vintage Speed looks like on mine, pretty good imo.

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Here is what the Vintage Speed looks like on mine, pretty good imo.

Is that on your 69'? What exhaust were you running on your 1905 in your 71' before you blew it up?
’65 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the recomadition on heat paint for the exhaust. I have painted it plenty of times with VHT high temp paint but never lasts. I have never baked it though. I tried last time but it really stink up the house, so I pulled it out after 15 min. I'm thinking why couldn't i bake it in my BBQ grill? Get the temp up to 400*, turn to low and put the muffler in. Maybe some tin foil over the grate? I read in a thread here that one guy baked his exhaust with VHT paint is an asphalt oven. He said it worked great for him.

I have read about POR-20 high temp paint also. I know everybody loves the POR15 for killing rust but I don't see to many people useing the POR20. It seems to be pricy, 8 oz for $20 and 16 oz for $32.

I know, if I bought the VS system I wouldn't need to paint it. Laughing
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: