Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best year for a project vw? just getting started need rwcomm
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: best year for a project vw? just getting started need rwcomm Reply with quote

I always wanted a bug.my mom does too. I want one that has that high pitched get up and go sound. You know, sprnnnnnn! Spruennnnnnnnn! Bsplennnnnn! 70's I know but what yr. Must be two door. Hardtop or convertible doesn't matter.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?

What kind of tools do you have?

What skills do you have?

And how big is your pocketbook?

The answers will really matter in what is the best choice for you.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only major change from '70-'79 bugs is standard vs. super beetle other then that the change are mechanical things which can be modified some what easily and small bolt on things like lights, bumpers, handles, etc..

btw they are all two doors unless someone did some crazy mods to them

also if those sounds were sounds you hear coming from Honda then buy a Honda cause a aircooled VW will never sound like a Honda without major mods Wink

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting bumpers and the bumper brackes is a lot easier pre 74. And 74 is a 1 year only bumper and bracked and near impossible to get. 75 and on are findable.

I personally like the IRS (independent rear suspention) on late models and would avoid the swingarm of earlier models.

Also research the cost of a convertable top before heading that direction, it will surprise you. Shocked

Supers and standards have vastly different front suspension, so they handle differently and handle different terrain differently. So you also need to envision you final product. Raise it, lower it, baja it, what you start with does not dictate where you end up but it does greatly alter the amount of effort it takes to get there. I personnally want minor off road capablities on an otherwise stock bug. A standard already has reasonable off road capablities, maybe throw on a locking differential and I am all set.

Read lots of posts, especially about what you want you final project to be.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: best year for a project vw? just getting started need rw Reply with quote

You will want a slammed beddle bug if you want to howl about your Bsplennnnnn!

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: read these forums for a while before you post again Reply with quote

ranran76 wrote:
I always wanted a bug.my mom does too. I want one that has that high pitched get up and go sound. You know, sprnnnnnn! Spruennnnnnnnn! Bsplennnnnn! 70's I know but what yr. Must be two door. Hardtop or convertible doesn't matter.

Head straight to the classifieds, pretty much everything there has what you want in a bug. All the vehicle sellers are straight up square and will give you a fair deal at any price level. Pick one out, get the cash, give it to the seller, and go drive it home to your mom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: