Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 500 dollar special
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: The 500 dollar special Reply with quote

First I would like to say hello to everyone here. This is my first post up as well as my first ground up build. Well here is my little bug that I got off the orange county c.l. The car was in rough shape , but like most us guys ,I saw the diamond in the rough . So I began this project about October when I found this 62 for sale . I drove out an looked at it an the guy selling it didn't show the whole car because, one car was really one an half . So I was really not going buy it. I got to thinking an thought what am I scared of . Hell this well be a snap . Couple of parts some paint little upholstery i am good . Yeah rite ! So I took the whole think apart most of what I got was good for parts but that was it .So I started calling up some of the guys I talk to an started to gather most my parts . Got to say it's been adventure. I have meet some greet folks an some of the shady most dishonest peeps. So with no more delay here comes the ugly duck that's turning into a swan.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice car for a decent price for recent price anyways
but that is not a '62 body the metal sunroof didn't start until '64
so you either got a later body on a earlier pan or there is something funky going on the paperwork

did you double check the title with the vin# located on the pan under the rear seat on the tunnel?

why is there no sarcasism button on here?

Last edited by joe56vw on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project, reminds me of my highschool days and my VW projects.

looks like that car you have might be a turquoise car originally?? double cool color, I got a 61 that color!

tell us more about the motor. and hopefully you have fenders and hood/deck lid, if not, strive to find original german ones as the aftermarket ones are thin and not stamped out right.

good luck on your Volksy, and welcome! Cool Cool Laughing Very Happy Smile Smile Smile Rolling Eyes Wink

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash vent and big windows (that's also a no on turkis- vw never sprayed the door latch hardware- but it looks white in the trunk)- definitely check the paperwork. Good start though.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Dash vent and big windows (that's also a no on turkis)- definitely check the paperwork. Good start though.

I missed that (more focused on the sunroof I guess) that would make it a '65 or '66 maybe '67

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dash vent In 65.
Look forward to seeing the progress.
dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys no funny stuff . I know bout the roof the pan still bought it . Also started with this
[/img]
dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i said bahama blue
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a '66 to me.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some title research before ya get too deep..now is the time to start looking for another 500 buck special that has the stuff you need..way cheaper stripping a parts car than buying everything piece by piece..
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry about the body being wrong year, it is the pan that gets registered. make sure the VIN on the pan under the rear seat on the tunnel matches your registration. it is not unusual to find an different year body than pan hooked up together. the DMV goes by the pan number.

66 or 62 you have a nice start to a great VW.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this thread caught my eye I just picked up another 1960 and the numbers match no title and the guy said it was a turd...ha. That's okay by me sticks and stones will break my bones. Actually very solid pans somebody stole the four tab hood and the engine is too old for that car .... but it does turn free ... so I need a 59 engine December 1959 1960 model year. I'll try to import some pictures but you can imagine somebody went to work on it with a drill mounted little bitty grinder....there has to be a special name for crazy body men patina...(?)
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle child wrote:
The title of this thread caught my eye I just picked up another 1960 and the numbers match no title and the guy said it was a turd...ha. That's okay by me sticks and stones will break my bones. Actually very solid pans somebody stole the four tab hood and the engine is too old for that car .... but it does turn free ... so I need a 59 engine December 1959 1960 model year. I'll try to import some pictures but you can imagine somebody went to work on it with a drill mounted little bitty grinder....there has to be a special name for crazy body men patina...(?)

Methhead is that special name Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i got all the paper work on the car . Did the title search the pan is cool an nice no worries even has plates an tags . Very Happy . Oh an meth head is the special name for those guys . Lol
dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the pan was really nice except for a hole that someone punched in the side . Looks like one of those special guys had it for a while .
dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here is how i fixed it . Good thing i am a terrible pack rat of cars parts had another pan that was wrecked so i cut the tunnel section out an weld a new one in .
dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an one super sized hole be gone is applied
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good looking nice your work is, nice patch panel

, that is a later pan for sure, cause the heater lever location is on either side of the emergency brake, early pans had a single heat knob ahead of the brake.

I recommend an epoxy two part paint for the pan, like DP primer, water proof dries fast, great over a blasted surface to get out rust, I have used it many times.

with an airless sprayer and a spray wand, you can even coat the tunnel inside. of course getting all the sand out will be fun!!!! Razz Razz Razz

dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info an nice comments. I already vacuumed the pan blew all the lines out. Pans is being done by azusa sandblast an powder coat. Big thanks to these guys an there skills . This guy is great always on time , great work an best price . Can'tsay enough.
dubzombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bout all the double post this computer thing is wierd. So the body an paint are almost done for the third time . Yeah I said it rite took the car to this lame named Chuy. He said he could paint long story short. DONT EVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO THIS SHOP.!!!!! HE IS A TOTAL RIP OFF . My neighbors took there bug to have him put a motor in . He sold them a used one didn't clean it off ,didn't put a new belt on it , didnt fix the push rod tube that was smashed . Look the list goes on an on . We took the body to this CHUY GUY !!! An he burned me for a set of rossi headlights a pair of rear tail lights an a pair of front fenders . This guy is such a f$!#ing joke . I also paid for the paint that he used for other cars he had there . Didn't do any body work on it ,painted it outside an last but not least he didn't put anything to make the paint dry . Paint came off with a air blower . The other stuff didn't dry an could scrap off with a finger nail after three days . He gave me back two different front fenders.Then the paint was two different shades .Well all I can say if take your car there your in for crap work . DON'T TRUST THIS GUY WITH ANYTHING !!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: