Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing wheel hub cap clips/rivets
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Replacing wheel hub cap clips/rivets Reply with quote

Hi all, this is a quick summary of how to replace broken hub-cap clips with rivets. Not sure if this needs to be related to any previous posts/stickies. Apologies if I'm repeating. It is a fairly trivial process, however it requires correct tooling.

I made a mistake initially and asked the shop doing powder coating to replace the clips. I gave them bag of clips and rivets, yet, instead of riveting - they simply welded new clips. When I got the wheel back and tried to fit the cap - all new welded clips simply snapped. I assume this is due to a thermal stress it was under during the welding process, which ultimately weakened the spring effect of the clip.

So this is how I had to do it myself, the second time:

Step 0 - make sure you have new clips (originals are highly recommended - all repros sold online aren't the best choice - got mine from Samba), correct rivets and the riveting tool:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Step 1 - drill out the rivet of a broken clip (in my case it was a welding spot) and make sure the surface is flat. I used 4mm drill.

Step 2 - inserts clip and a rivet

... which looks like that from inside

Step 3 - with the wheel turned round and ideally placed on a solid surface (mechanic's vice is the best), put the riveting tool like pictured. Make sure the clip is positioned correctly - it will be very hard to adjust it after the riveting is done.

Step 4 - With a punch and heavy hummer start riveting it from the centre to the edges, and then around the edges, trying to sort of "spread" the metal as wide as possible.

Step 5 - all done. Because this side goes to the drum, the surface must be flat and smooth. It can be grinded a bit, but I'd recommend to simply hit it a bit more with a hummer and not to weaken the rivet:

For a clip to hold hub-cap properly it should be standing straight, touching just a little bit the surface of the disk, like pictured. It also makes it much easier to remove the caps when all clips are positioned correctly.

Cheers!
Vlad
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Here's a nice thread in Bus that was recently updated with a video as well:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535871
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: