Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

alternator hard to turn now?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: alternator hard to turn now? Reply with quote

Hey boys and girls, last night I pulled my engine out to replace the oil cooler O-rings, and to install dual kadrons. Today, I started reassembling everything, and noticed that my alternator is now a lot harder to turn that it has been the last few years I've owned this car. It's still smooth, and the fan isn't rubbing on anything, it's just not as easy as it used to be. Like so much so that I think I'll lose horsepower and gas mileage, if the belt doesn't slip and burn up first. I didn't remove the alternator from the fan shroud, and the only thing that even remotely has anything to do with it is that one of the bolts for the LowBugget.com kadron linkage replaces the bottom driver side bolt that holds the alternator to the fan shroud. could that be enough to make it hard to turn? Before today, I could spin the pulley, and it would keep going once I let go....
yellrhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: bolt Reply with quote

Take that one bolt out and see if it turns freely again.

I don't see how it could interfere with the fan but you never know.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm gonna pull the fan shroud all the way off and apart I guess and see if I can figure it out. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new alternator. I don't see why it would be fine one day and hard to turn the next... I drove it 400 miles over the weekend and about 60 miles last night, immediately before pulling the engine back out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: