Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

manual transmission dipstick?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: manual transmission dipstick? Reply with quote

Alright guys, my axle seals are leaking. I put in one kit on one side, haven't test drive it yet, we shall see if it leaks. I had an idea, Could one drill a hole in the package tray area, and then drill a hole in the fill plug on the trans, and get a dipstick from car of sorts, and epoxy that in as to have a way to check and fill gearbox oil without climbing under the car and fighting with the fill cap? Just a thought I had, and I may give it a shot if I come across a free or cheap dip stick tube of the right length.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1968 bug on CJ 5 chassis w/ super swampers
1970 Baja
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you could do that, do I think it is a great thing, no, because it could be a source of leaks, opening up a package tray and using a dip stick careful not to get oil spilled is not my idea of easy, and I am not saving much under car time, cause I don't check often (I do check for leaks) maybe every year or more usually cause the car is up in the air for some other reason.

jacking up the car is not hard to do, if too difficult find some one that can do that for you. Once you fix the leaks and check for drips, you should not worry about tranny lube for many many miles. use a little Teflon tape on the threads, and do not over tighten, the case is soft! it is a tapered thread and thus has not a hard stop point until failure.

Now engine oil, I check that often, cause my motor does consume oil!!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I really don't think the idea is worth pursuing unless it is just to satisfy a desire for uniqueness rather than practicality on the part of the owner!!!! Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission dipstick? Reply with quote

stevensj13 wrote:
Alright guys, my axle seals are leaking. I put in one kit on one side, haven't test drive it yet, we shall see if it leaks. I had an idea, Could one drill a hole in the package tray area, and then drill a hole in the fill plug on the trans, and get a dipstick from car of sorts, and epoxy that in as to have a way to check and fill gearbox oil without climbing under the car and fighting with the fill cap? Just a thought I had, and I may give it a shot if I come across a free or cheap dip stick tube of the right length.

The tube would have to extend into the transmission and make a 90 degree turn downwards to read the level and I don't thick you could do that with a tight enough radius to avoid the gears and shift forks, have the dipstick make the turn, and allow you to actually screw the fill plug back in.

I'm sure you could add a dipstick to the case, but I think it's a better use of your time to just fix the leaking seals.
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission dipstick? Reply with quote

jhoefer wrote:

The tube would have to extend into the transmission and make a 90 degree turn downwards to read the level and I don't thick you could do that with a tight enough radius to avoid the gears and shift forks, have the dipstick make the turn, and allow you to actually screw the fill plug back in.

I'm sure you could add a dipstick to the case, but I think it's a better use of your time to just fix the leaking seals.

Yeah I hear ya. I was just thinking so long as you could get the right angle (I was thinking coming down almost parallel to the case, and then going in at almost a 90 degree angle keeping close to the wall of the inside of the case as if you were using one of those VW level checkers) and that may work. I'd imagine it'd be hard to get that done though. I already re-sealed the passenger side and torqued down the axle nuts on both sides, once I bleed the brakes we'll see if it still leaks.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont over think the simple.... Your pinkie ( or suitable finger) is the best dipstick.. .... if you can touch the fluid when the transaxle is cold.. the level is ok.
Buy a set of car ramps...

Since you seem to enjoy fabricating.. make a easy peazy plug remover from a bolt with a 17mm head.

Really not too sure what you're fighting.. Its a simple process.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to check the level and fill the transaxle (biggest point) without climbing under it and using a pump is what I'm shooting for here. Wouldn't it be nice to pull out a stick, see its low, grab your bottle, toss a little in there, and 30 seconds later be ready to go? Rather than making a half hour process of getting the car in the air, cracking open the nut, sticking your pinky in there, noticing its low, grabbing your jug of oil and pump, pumping it in, check it, tighten the bolt, wipe up the mess, get your car off the jack stands, and then go on your way? If I spent 2 hours developing and building a dipstick/filler it'd be worth it IMO to totally avoid the stock filling process for the rest of the cars existence.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cog-box needs servicing/checking about once every decade... takes 20 mins... To make the task easier I take off rear wheel and stick a hose in the filler hole, at the other end I have a funnel. Easy!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ exactly... thats only one of the many easy ways..
10 -20 minutes tops...

Hint..
You'd love a Corvair transaxle...

Seems youre hell bent to do this...Just drill a strategic hole in the top of the case... and pipe thread tap it, use pipe and build your own stick and plug.

If you drill the fill plug, add a dipstick tube..which should eliminate the ability to remove the fill plug... how ya plan to fill it or top it off?

Im all for saving time, and ease of maintenance..plus I love fabricating.. but.. this isnt one Id ever need to do.

Go for it....... reinvent the mousetrap.. and post what ya come up with and its longevity.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever a place to add tranny oil? I saw a very old bug that had a wide tube on the passenger side, diving down below the tunnel.

thx
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

If you drill the fill plug, add a dipstick tube..which should eliminate the ability to remove the fill plug... how ya plan to fill it or top it off?

Thats my point! If you have a tube that goes right up, thru the package tray floor (I have a roll cage back there, no seats or storage), then you have a simple dipstick tube with a cap and you can just lean in, pour oil in it like your topping off trans fluid in your new car with an automatic, and be on your way in 30 seconds. You literally unscrew a cap while inside the cabin of the car, check level with the dipstick, and add fluid via the tube exactly like you would an auto trans on a new car. Simple and effective and much much faster than pumping oil out of a bottle into the tapered fill plug under the car.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1970 Baja
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fill thick gear oil through a dipstick tube..... it would take longer.
As you fill air must escape at the same rate. The transaxle vent hole is a tiny hole. If you try to fill through a dipstick tube quickly.. air will burp out the same tube your filling with.. messy and slow. It would take a large tube.

You have a good idea... I just dont see the need to maybe save 5 minutes.

Usually and often edited
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevensj13 wrote:
Being able to check the level and fill the transaxle (biggest point) without climbing under it and using a pump is what I'm shooting for here. Wouldn't it be nice to pull out a stick, see its low, grab your bottle, toss a little in there, and 30 seconds later be ready to go? Rather than making a half hour process of getting the car in the air, cracking open the nut, sticking your pinky in there, noticing its low, grabbing your jug of oil and pump, pumping it in, check it, tighten the bolt, wipe up the mess, get your car off the jack stands, and then go on your way? If I spent 2 hours developing and building a dipstick/filler it'd be worth it IMO to totally avoid the stock filling process for the rest of the cars existence.

yes and most people would save 10 mins every decade... the trans doesn't need much attention. No leaks and no consumption = no loss = no worries

I pre-fill the trans out of the car before installation...done that twice this week!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking of the stench of gear oil makes it no wonder the original fill point is under the car.
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 had been leaking at the axle boots by the looks of it at least 20 years, and I would bet that that the transaxle oil had never been changed.The gear oil was everywhere and was so thick, and sticky, that I had to use a screwdriver to remove the sludge from the axles, and even to see the actual shape of the lower z-bar mount points, When I drained the transaxle oil, it was black thick sludge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will still need to get under the car to drain the tranny. once the car is up and you have access, it is not that much more effort to fill tranny from below and check level.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you want to make big modifications for a simple problem, I think you need to do what we did on the Sebring and Daytona endurance race cars.

Install a pump in the transmission to pump to an external cooler for the gear oil, then put a reservoir in line that you can fill and check the level in.

Or just do like VW intended and use your finger.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: manual transmission dipstick? Reply with quote

Why?
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission dipstick? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

Why?

Lazy!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Acccess from the top... Reply with quote

...guess you know, all Type 1, pre Zwitter Splits had a removable access panel in the rear luggage area, behind the back seat because the trans had a fill plug on top of the trans and that's how one got to it to check and fill. I have cut a square access in the package tray behind the seat and purchased one of those split panels to cover the hole...checking and filling the trans with access on the side of the trans is much easier from the top then from under the car.
Some guys will only do what is factory stock, while others realize that VW was not perfect and take matters into their own hands.
Through this access panel, a variety of parts are assessable...the starter and clutch adjustment, gas filter, trans check and fill and the top 2 bolts that hold the engine to the trans are right there...this removable panel is not stock after Sept. 1952, but it should have been continued. It's great!
Your idea is a good one...really think it through though. There is always more than one way to do everything.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Acccess from the top... Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
...guess you know, all Type 1, pre Zwitter Splits had a removable access panel in the rear luggage area, behind the back seat because the trans had a fill plug on top of the trans and that's how one got to it to check and fill. I have cut a square access in the package tray behind the seat and purchased one of those split panels to cover the hole...checking and filling the trans with access on the side of the trans is much easier from the top then from under the car.
Some guys will only do what is factory stock, while others realize that VW was not perfect and take matters into their own hands.
Through this access panel, a variety of parts are assessable...the starter and clutch adjustment, gas filter, trans check and fill and the top 2 bolts that hold the engine to the trans are right there...this removable panel is not stock after Sept. 1952, but it should have been continued. It's great!
Your idea is a good one...really think it through though. There is always more than one way to do everything.

I’ve seen several of these modifications over the years and I’m not condemning yours because I haven’t seen it, but all the others were little more then hack jobs! Even the ones done nicely were a pretty big mistake.

You need to ask yourself why VW discontinued such a great feature in their cars. Some will argue it was a cost saving measure and maybe it was.

But it was also a big area for leaks and was difficult to seal up. Being under the carpet, it allowed water in and the carpet and padding acted as a wick that sucked in moisture and kept it hidden. Over time it just rusted the car from the inside out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: