Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these chunks I found in my oil screen?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teastberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: What are these chunks I found in my oil screen? Reply with quote

I was changing the oil in my 72 westy for the first time since I've owned it and the screen is full of what appears to be little crushed up washers of some sort. They aren't magnetic and are quite brittle...any ideas on what they are? If I put them together the inside diameter ends up around a quarter inch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve stem seals.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teastberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thanks! Searched those and found the answer i was hoping to get but didnt expect. back on the road!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teastberg wrote:
back on the road!

Not for long Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Teastberg wrote:
back on the road!

Not for long Wink

Why not? The seals have nothing to do with how well the engine runs. Few people run them.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a fantastic engine! Just like the human body rejecting strange items that don't belong. Your engine purged out parts that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Our horizontal engines prefer not to have valve seals that hinder lubrication of valve stems and guides. So they got hard, brittle and broke up. And the pieces washed out of the rocker boxes and got flushed down the pushrod tubes and into the sump. Thankfully your suction strainer prevented the bigger pieces from getting into the pump.
I'd sure pull the valve covers and check to see if there are any remaining pieces of the broken or not yet broken hard rubber seals. There are probably more pieces still in the bottom of the case sump. No problem providing they stay in the bottom or get washed into the strainer where you can remove them. Apart from that I don't think there is really anything else you can do.

Time to get back on the road where buses belong. Wink
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2- First build for the dealership- I was told to leave those in the gasket box.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
X2- First build for the dealership- I was told to leave those in the gasket box.

Did they give a specific reason why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
williamM wrote:

Did they give a specific reason why?

They aren't necessary. The valve stems run uphill while oil likes to run down hill. The guides need a bit of lubrication and if you run seals they may not get enough.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Ditto^^^

Inline and V OHV engines have their valves vertical or at least in an upward orientation. Oil working it's way down the clearance between the valve stems and guides ends up in the intake port to be drawn into the combustion chambers. Depending on how much clearance and wear it can result in substantial oil consumption. So those engines really need the stem seals and with the vertical valve orientation they still get good lubrication.

Gravity doesn't draw excess oil into our horizontal guides and stems so no real concerns or need for seals to prevent high oil consumption. But we do need the lubrication, that's for sure. Guides do wear and they wear quicker than most other wear items on our engines.

Instead of why did VW call for deleting seals the bigger question might be why they had them in the first place. It probably has all to do with changes in gasoline and oil formulations. And maybe the timeline had to do with the timing of the elimination of leaded gas. The lead had been the lubrication the guides needed. With the elimination of that lead lubrication the material composition of the guides has changed accordingly. And as a result probably the new material guides do need the oil lubrication that stem seals would prevent.

Currently we seldom hear it but just a very few years ago the requirement for non-leaded heads was talked about all the time. All head rebuilders and parts suppliers switched to unleaded valve guides. When buying heads these days we seldom hear of heads or head rebuilding being advertised as lead free compatable. In reality there are probably very few "leaded" heads in use anymore.

What was VW's published reason? That would be interesting. Wink
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of the stock adjuster screws and nuts and throw in some Porsche swivel adjusters and you nearly eliminate all the wear introduced onto them from the stock set up which had increased side loads on the valve stems.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Get rid of the stock adjuster screws and nuts and throw in some Porsche swivel adjusters and you nearly eliminate all the wear introduced onto them from the stock set up which had increased side loads on the valve stems.

Evidently the Porsche swivel adjusters are good from what folks say. And they are also expensive. But you can acomplish the very same results with swivel ball adjusters. I've been running those on my engines for quite a few years and like them.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Valve Stem Seals Reply with quote

I call B.S on Valve Stem Seals coming in a VW factory gasket set for any model.

I not only was a tech when the type-4 engine was brand New in the U.S. but,
also did some of the 1st tear downs for bad camshaft to lifter warranty in 1971 and WE kept the seals in the "UNIT ROOM" and not in the parts department.

There was NEVER a V.W.O.A. gasket set for type4 engine in the dealer parts
dept.

As for changing valve adjusting screws to Porsche swivel feet. A little more is needed than just the swapping of parts. Since the rocker needs to have 0.60 removed FIRST in order for the swivel feet to work.

The stem seals as DBM and Wildthings said were really a joke and didn't last long on the intake stems. and were deleted.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Stem Seals Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
I call B.S on Valve Stem Seals coming in a VW factory gasket set for any model.

I not only was a tech when the type-4 engine was brand New in the U.S. but,
also did some of the 1st tear downs for bad camshaft to lifter warranty in 1971 and WE kept the seals in the "UNIT ROOM" and not in the parts department.

dept.

As for changing valve adjusting screws to Porsche swivel feet. A little more is needed than just the swapping of parts. Since the rocker needs to have 0.60 removed FIRST in order for the swivel feet to work.

The stem seals as DBM and Wildthings said were really a joke and didn't last long on the intake stems. and were deleted.

Quote, "The stem seals as DBM and Wildthings said were really a joke and didn't last long on the intake stems. and were deleted".

Which was it? They were or weren't used? Clearly someone put them there. I'll touch base with two I know who worked for Woolverton VW Ontario, Ca. before going independent.

Yes the rockers need some taken off isn't that difficult of a job...slow & easy.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Valve Stem Seals Reply with quote

Udidwht, What I said was that the stem seals did not come in a factory
gasket kit.

You either kept them in the engine room or walked over to the parts department to get them. We had bins for gaskets & misc. items.

Yes they came on VW engines as far back as the 1950's and also factory
rebuilt engines.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:

dept.

I always found this rather odd. I think it accounted for a lot VW dealerships having an autoparts nearby so the parts man could take a short walk to get a complete aftermarket gasket set.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
^^^Ditto^^^

Inline and V OHV engines have their valves vertical or at least in an upward orientation. Oil working it's way down the clearance between the valve stems and guides ends up in the intake port to be drawn into the combustion chambers. Depending on how much clearance and wear it can result in substantial oil consumption. So those engines really need the stem seals and with the vertical valve orientation they still get good lubrication.

Gravity doesn't draw excess oil into our horizontal guides and stems so no real concerns or need for seals to prevent high oil consumption. But we do need the lubrication, that's for sure. Guides do wear and they wear quicker than most other wear items on our engine. Instead of why did VW call for deleting seals the bigger question might be why they had them in the first place. It probably has all to do with changes in gasoline and oil formulations. And maybe the timeline had to do with the timing of the elimination of leaded gas. The lead had been the lubrication the guides needed. With the elimination of that lead lubrication the material composition of the guides has changed accordingly. And as a result probably the new material guides do need the oil lubrication that stem seals would prevent.

Currently we seldom hear it but just a very few years ago the requirement for non-leaded heads was talked about all the time. All head rebuilders and parts suppliers switched to unleaded valve guides. When buying heads these days we seldom hear of heads or head rebuilding being advertised as lead free compatable. In reality there are probably very few "leaded" heads in use anymore.

What was VW's published reason? That would be interesting. Wink

I'm thinking it had to do with emission requirements - I started with them in 78 - about the time they had forced the rabbit to FI and we we cheating the campaigns to make the carb rabbit to pass emissions by reaming the new jets because the required jets made the rabbit run like crap- the LA dealerships were caught and huge fines were imposed Then the carb rabbit problem just "went away" Question Question Rolling Eyes

So VW fought the EPA and pissed them off and VW went down the tubes for many years and finally got going again after our dealership closed.

Shocked Just a guess.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
old DKP driver wrote:

dept.

I always found this rather odd. I think it accounted for a lot VW dealerships having an autoparts nearby so the parts man could take a short walk to get a complete aftermarket gasket set.

That might explain why I remember (though not distinctly) a gasket kit from "Dingman" our parts guy- getting several "other parts by number", but had a basic "kit" to cover the basics. Think Think .

And was told the cam problem was from mechanics putting chevy hydro lifters in the engines designed for solid lifters- before VW cam up with the hydro cam and their own lifters???? Just 18th person myth passed on with great accuracy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't step in any!
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Valve Stem Seals Reply with quote

William, You are right on about the Rabbit problem as we did the campaign to
replace the valve stem seals and pull the carb replace needle & seats
re-drill a passage way in the carb and gasket and replace the rubber mount.
on the 1975 rabbits and late 74 dashers as well.

They were really a piece of shit and only became better with the introduction of CIS.

AS for the cam&lifter problem this was on only a small amout of the 1971 411 models and the Dealer where I worked in Orange county, CA.did our
share of them This was a metallurgy problem with the hardness of the lifters mushrooming.

It was at least 2 years later before a gasket kit was introduced for a type-4
engine. So, you took the work order to the parts dept. and got individual gaskets that were needed.

The water cooled cars really took their toll not only on me but quite a few of
older techs. (Warranty Repairs) paid terribly and I finally left and went to
Porsche in1978
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Stem Seals Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
William, You are right on about the Rabbit problem as we did the campaign to
replace the valve stem seals and pull the carb replace needle & seats
re-drill a passage way in the carb and gasket and replace the rubber mount.
on the 1975 rabbits and late 74 dashers as well.

They were really a piece of shit and only became better with the introduction of CIS.

AS for the cam&lifter problem this was on only a small amout of the 1971 411 models and the Dealer where I worked in Orange county, CA.did our
share of them This was a metallurgy problem with the hardness of the lifters mushrooming.
It was at least 2 years later before a gasket kit was introduced for a type-4
engine. So, you took the work order to the parts dept. and got individual gaskets that were needed.

The water cooled cars really took their toll not only on me but quite a few of
older techs. (Warranty Repairs) paid terribly and I finally left and went to
Porsche in1978

The carb rabbit was an impossibility- when you opened the hood of the 76- WTF- like 6 temp solenoids with all white plastic spaghetti vac lines running every where. Only thing worse was the 100 LS Audi with 4 puck inboard brakes and sliding valve guides and spitting new valve seals off- Should be a stickie dedicated to some of the worse designs ever.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: