Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who are you using to insure your vehicles?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Who are you using to insure your vehicles? Reply with quote

Are you using a classic car insurance company like Hagerty or using a company such as Geico or All-State? Since I've had company car for over 4 years I haven't had to pay for car insurance.... Not sure what direction I should go....

I know if I go classic/collector car insurance its going to be inexpensive but I have mileage restriction...

hmph...
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

State Farm, where I have my other cars insured. Came out to about $30/month for full coverage. I have my cars, home, and life all thru them and I like to keep my life simple so didn't bother checking anywhere else. Seemed reasonable enough, but I bet this thread is gonna make me think again.
Samer1275
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Hagerty. There is no mileage requirement but it cannot be your daily driver. They require verification that you have an insured daily driver alongs side your classic. Also, you have to store your classic in a garage. I think these are the two main requirements.

Hopefully you will not need it, but they guarantee flat bed towing.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Me too. Very happy.
Plus, they have a nice magazine Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is with Progressive with an optional $10K loss coverage. I didn't choose Progressive though, it's the company that my homeowners insurance contracted with.
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

State Farm. No restrictions; my ghia is one of my 2 daily drivers much of the year.

I lost a 69 westfalia once to flooding and though it took quite a bit of research and persistence on my part, they gave me fair claim.

Mark
86 quantum syncro
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagerty, they do require it to be garaged, You tell them what your car is worth and that bases what you pay. They also cover all my spare parts in the garage.
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagerty on both of mine. Has to be kept in a locked building. You have to send them pics of the inside, the outside, the motor and trunk areas and tell them how much HP Shocked I had to fudge on that part Laughing Rolling Eyes
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, I'm using Progressive, and have full coverage. I have 3 vehicles with them, all full coverage. I am going to be looking at Statefarm and AllState as I was told it was cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ghia is insured through State Farm with full coverage on a standard policy. My fiberglass Dunebuggy is insured with liability only as a 69 VW Bug. There is no way I can ever get back the dollar value I have invested in these cars if it got wrecked. It's a gamble you take in life. Never invest more money into a car then you can afford to loose in a total loss.

Insurance is a total scam. None of the companies are interested in a $25,000 collectable Bug but all of them will be glad to insure your $60,000 1 ton dully diesel pick-up. They can replace your 2007 Honda, but they can not replace your 57 year old dream.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Allstate on the daily drivers and Hagerty's on the old VW's.
Hagerty's does not want you using a camper to camp in, or a pick up to haul things. They do cover spares though- so the photos I sent of the garage interior showed the parts hanging on the walls.
The 'entry age' of Hagerty's is 25, it means neither of my boys are allowed to drive the bus or the beetle.....oh darn! Sorry boys! ;-)
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagerty. In Canada there is a mileage limit of 8000km a year, must be kept in a secure locked garage and you must have another insured daily driver.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Who are you using to insure your vehicles? Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:

I know if I go classic/collector car insurance its going to be inexpensive but I have mileage restriction...

hmph...

That may have been the case, but neither Hagerty or Grundy have a mileage restriction. This is what I wrote as far a restrictions of use in the "car insurance frustration" thread from my policy with Grundy

Quote:
I decided to pull out last year's contract & look up the section that is typically the cause for trouble under the auto usage endorsement section 1. Maintained solely for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities, or other functions of public interest 2) is NOT used for regular driving to work, school, errands, shopping, general transportation, secondary or back up transportation, business or commercial purposes, except for limited pleasure use.

This is pretty standard for collector insurance and am sure that Hagerty has a near identical clause. I assume that using a bus for camping falls under the "general transportation" exception, although what if it an "organized" camping get together? That would seem to fall under "club activities" or "limited pleasure use."
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

I use American Collectors, 208.00 a year for a 15K stated value.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Who are you using to insure your vehicles? Reply with quote

Stated or agreed value?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: