Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are your "Habits of Safety" when working?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: What are your "Habits of Safety" when working? Reply with quote

I put these down in answer to another post and thought they might be a good topic on it's own.

So these are some of my habits when working around anything when I'm most dangerous...when I have a tool in my hand!

"Teach him the habits of safety because these will carry over into other parts of life and something like having a fire extinguisher on hand may work well in his home someday,(hopefully never needed.)

Things like using a battery operated drill-pick it up and drill a hole then take the drill bit out when you set it down. There always seeming out of balance in how they sit and they fall easily. The drill bit is usually hits something important when they fall! or if you have a Fly-Cutter bit in there. They are sharp and pointy. With the twist on Chucks it is only a second to put back in.

Using a Nut Driver on hose clamps-better secure fit and not going to slip out like a common/flat blade screwdriver that will go into the palm of your hand.

How to safely put the vehicle on jack stands to work on it and putting the tire you took off under the car so that if it fell the car would not completely crush anything under it like your leg or foot or chest. In this regard always having a cell phone within reach when doing something where you might get hurt so you can call for help if your pinned down."

Safety glasses.
--------------------
What are some of your habits when working?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to the number 10, specifically two groups 5's!

I start a task with 10 fingers........ I fully expect to finish a task with all ten still firmly attached and functioning!

Work accordingly!

I've cut and bashed, scraped and squished but I've still got all 10! Sadly Some are showing visible signs of the owners stupidity though!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean, scratch free Safety glasses like you mentioned. Absolutely. Trust me when I say it's no fun having something lodged in your eyeball. Usually a PITA to get it removed.

Remove your jewelry, watches, etc...

Tie back loose clothing or hair.

Keep a clean work area. Wipe spills immediately. Sweep up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My summer job in college was running an industrial paint & bake line applying high-tech epoxy coatings to military tank parts.
After having to come to the aid of Frank, our ancient machinist, as he was losing significant parts of his hand inside a rotary grinding machine, safety has just become a habit and is more of a mindset/approach for me than any specific action.

A recent example is when I sold my spare syncro front diff to a young local couple preparing for a central/south american trip. I was so uncomfortable seeing the flimsy stamped steel jack stands that he had under his Syncro that I loaned him one of my sets of very heavy duty stands to use until the project was finished.

General rules for me are:
- Apply lots and lots of light, use safety glasses & gloves when appropriate
- Place a minimum of double protection against vehicle fall and fire,
- Think it through, work slow and deliberate (which is why my projects tend to take a long time)
- Use special care around gasoline, running engines and rotating things.
- Only work on cars you care about and let the shop up the street take care of the others

Avoids:
- Avoid working alone or in confined spaces
- Avoid working when tired and distracted by something else

Above all,
- Don't do anything stupid

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sanchius on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 and often overlooked, but right in the owners manual of every vehicle made....

Remove the battery terminals before starting to work on the vehicle.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel Chocks
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using jack stands, place the removed wheels under the van in case the stands fail or vehicle slips off of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending the day changing your engine and getting slowed down by problems so that it really did take all day and into the night. You want to go out and test drive it -
Don't. Your tired and just waiting for an accident to happen. Go get some rest.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear gloves - I'm particularly partial to the Raven black nitrile.

Push with an open hand.

If you are applying more pressure to a fastener than you can easily apply 'steady-state' then get a longer lever.

With rotating power tools always keep in mind where the tool will be thrown when it gets caught.

When you are lifting a vehicle in order to get under it, make sure it is resting on solid objects, wheels chocked and push on it this way and that before getting under it. Do NOT use cinder blocks to support a vehicle.

If you don't LIKE working on cars, then DON'T work on cars!

When you feel tired, irritated or frustrated STOP WORKING ON YOUR CAR!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When wrenching on a tight bolt or nut -- position the wrench so you are pulling on it rather than pushing.

That way -- you'll have more control and be less likely to smash your knuckles when the thing finally loosens or if it slips.
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic. I am not a trained mechanic so if I do something wrong please let me know.

- no rings, no watch
- no loose clothing
- coverall
- rubber gloves most of the time, sometime thick leather gloves (knuckle preservation)
- plenty of lights, often headlight
- safety glasses
- I never trust my jack, I use properly rated stands or if I can I drive on wood blocks to raise the car a few inches, if the wheel are off I will put them under the car
- wheel blocks, especially when lifting with the stock jack (this thing is freakin dangerous)
- the stock jack can slip on smooth concrete, also if the wheels are not blocked and the jack is not dead vertical the car might pivot forward or backward even with the e-brake on, ask me how I know, I hate this thing
- fire extinguisher nearby
- house keeping
- I am terified of gasoline but that is just me

Alex
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh! Gloves smuves!

Using your hands builds character and callouses it also tells people that you KNOW how to do things!......... Not just write checks or swipe debit cards!

I never liked gloves for mechanical work. You lose a sensitivity, a LOT of mechanical work is feeling and a gut sense that you are there!

Nope.......... GoJo, Fast Orange and Dawn are my best buddies! Smile

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Eh! Gloves smuves!

Using your hands builds character and callouses it also tells people that you KNOW how to do things!......... Not just write checks or swipe debit cards!

I never liked gloves for mechanical work. You lose a sensitivity, a LOT of mechanical work is feeling and a gut sense that you are there!

Nope.......... GoJo, Fast Orange and Dawn are my best buddies! Smile

Dave

Yeah, I did my CV job without gloves, I had black finger nails for 3 weeks and sore hand from the brake cleaning fluid for 2 days. My wife did not want my dirty fingers anywhere near her Crying or Very sad Never again.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Ah, The Catholic Mechanic.
Happy Easter Laughing

I realize that a lifetime of exposure to petrochemicals is not a good thing and can/will cause health issues in the long run.
My hands (and the rest of my body) are important to me and I want to keep them for as long as possible.
We will all probably die of cancer because of the corrosive environment we've created, but no need to literally wallow in it.
I won't touch a car without gloves on Wink

And here's one vote for ear protection (usually when using air tools) because I like tuning my guitar too.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to turn this into a gloves no gloves event.

I do wear gloves at times. Not for twisting wrenches and replacing components but for cleaning parts in the parts washer, wallowing around in a vat of old oil looking for the drain plug....... Sure.

Exposure to chemicals? Too old to worry much about it....... Damage is done!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I do not want to turn this into a gloves no gloves event.

Then why would you type some thing so obviously baited Question

No hard feelings, just thought I'd rub it in a bit since you probably aren't wearing any protection Laughing
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a "Barrier Creme" on your hands to protect them and still have the tactile feel that you lose with gloves.
I don't think it would work for fishing around in a bucket for the drain plug that fell in and I think it wears off on the finger tips, but it is an option.

the long term exposure is different for everyone and the sensitivity is like getting a Bee sting. Some people are are allergic and some not. Your the only one who knows your nerve endings and skin.

We can do the BS chiding of each other if you want, but what is the point really. We are just trying to pass on good safety ideas without getting hijacked by this crap. Leave it for the Chevy and Ford guys to do to each other.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one thing to remember if you are working on gravel or asphalt. If you're using jack stands, at the very least place a piece of 3/4" plywood a couple inches wider than the legs of the stand. I personally have cut 3/16" steel plates for mine. Without them, the stands will dig into the asphalt or gravel and over time the vehicle can shift and/or fall. Asphalt seems okay at first, but over time, and especially if the sun is out, the stands will sink/move without a plate. Granted working on concrete is ideal, and using stands on asphalt and gravel should be avoided if at all possible.

I also carry a chunk of 3/4" plywood with all my vehicles for the jack, just in case I find myself changing a tire on soft ground.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Eh! Gloves smuves!

Nope. It tells me quite the reverse. Not taking care of one's person is a very strong indication that one does not know how to do even the most basic of things.

The current strong nitrile gloves give incredible dexterity and last a long time.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Eh! Gloves smuves!

Nope. It tells me quite the reverse. Not taking care of one's person is a very strong indication that one does not know how to do even the most basic of things.

The current strong nitrile gloves give incredible dexterity and last a long time.

Ha! So we both know how to do things but by looking at hands we'd each draw the conclusion that the other is an inept dork! Smile

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: