Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear brake parts drums and shoes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: rear brake parts drums and shoes Reply with quote

Hello I need to replace rear drums and shoes, any suggestions on which parts I should use without breaking the bank?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can suggest a brand NOT to get. I got Brembo drums for my '85 a couple of years ago. I wanted to support the FLAPS. They were so out of round my foot must have pulsated up and down 1/2 inch. I returned the one I thought was the worst and got another. It was also out of round but not as bad. The pedal still goes up and down when I apply the brakes. At the time I did some research and found that their manufacturer is in China for the North Americal market. Who wudda guessed?
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I've seen various older threads about warped new drums was wondering if there have been changes. I might just replace the shoes my drums are still smaller ID them the limit but the shoes are cracked prolly from overheating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another drum to avoid is the South African heavy rear drum. Lots of quality issues. Some (great) vendors that sell them don't even recommend them.

Another issue, brought up in another recent thread, is that sometimes scumbag customers will buy good expensive drums (or rotors) from one vendor and crappy cheap ones from another then return the crappy ones in the good box to the good/expensive vendor for a refund Evil or Very Mad who doesn't look and puts them unknowingly back on the shelf . So, whatever you choose make sure you are getting what you pay for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: