Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery/Alternator help...Don't know where to start.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZVWlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Battery/Alternator help...Don't know where to start. Reply with quote

Ok guys, Here's the situation. I have just finished restoring a 59 and it was previously converted to 12v. The engine runs great and there are no problems there. Here is the issue:

The car will barely turn over and if it gets enough going, it will fire up. BUT, its' been killing the battery. When we attach jumper cables and jump it from on another car, it barely turns over. So We returned the battery (only one month old) and put brand new one in. So just now it barely turned over at first but then fired up. I took it for a spin around the block, LITERALLY! And pulled into garage and turned it off. I then tired to turn it back on, and the car battery is DEAD. Barely cranked and then stopped. That's TWO brand new batteries in 2 months. Now, my gut says there is something wrong with the Alternator, but I'm not sure.

So can you experts give me your thoughts and the easiest way to test it and see if it's the alternator? IF it is, I can replace it pretty easily but don't want incure the expense until i'm sure.

Thanks for the help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Traditional testing Reply with quote

Would mean disconnecting the battery after the car is running.

If car stays running, not alternator issue.

If car stops, alternator issue.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Traditional testing Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:

X2. The only use for the battery is to start the car. Once running, all electrical is fed by the charging system.

Check the tension of your fan belt. Too loose and the alternator wont operate properly
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itskyle and Rareair....

NEVER disconnect the battery in an alternator equipped car whilst the engine is running - it's very likely you'll cook the alternator.

A Generator equipped car can run for a short time on generator alone without damage, but not an alternator car.

AZvwlover, read this article on our web site for a simple diagnosis.
www.vw-resource.com/generator.html (it covers alternators too).
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longrifle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a volt meter? Check your battery across the terminals with the engine off. You should have about 12.5+ volts or so, and 14.5+ or so with the engine running if the alternator is working properly. I doubt your fresh battery took a dump and will not take a charge.

67’ sedan
66’ SO-42
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Traditional testing Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
itskyle wrote:

X2. The only use for the battery is to start the car. Once running, all electrical is fed by the charging system.

Check the tension of your fan belt. Too loose and the alternator wont operate properly

This is OK advice for a generator equipped car - for an alternator not so good. I had a battery terminal come off while driving a 65 corvair - it blew every light (it was nighttime) that was on and fried the final transistors in my Cobra CB radio. While it didn't fry the alternator right then it did cause it to go south within a few months - had to replace that too!

Never remove the battery terminals on an alternator equipped car unless you have spare money to fix everything that gets fried. Test it as Longrifle mentioned. With the proper electrical test equipment.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can have the alternator and battery tested at Advanced Auto or some such FLOPS. They'll do that for free, but you have to get the car there first.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: