Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greetings!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Greetings! Reply with quote

I could swear that there was an introduction sticky, but here goes anyway.

We are the happy new owners of a 1987 full camper, who we named "Josey". Love it! Thanks to all for the great information in the forum as everything I have needed so far has been discussed at length. Hope to pay it forward as I dig into the van.

My goal is to restore it to as near new condition as practical in preparation for retirement in 10 - 15 years. In the interim, Josey will be used for camping on the high school sports circuit for the next several years.

Things done so far are:

1. Overhauled right head due to sloppy re-build job/leaky intake valve seat.
2. Replaced ALL fuel system rubber including tank grommets/hoses, fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors and hoses. Most of the hoses were original and badly rotten. As stated numbers times on the forum, this is a must do!!
3. Replaced throttle valve with new to me Go Westy version due to slop in the butterfly valve shaft and hard to adjust switch
4. Replaced rusted out starter
5. Installed 16" Go Westy aluminum rims and new Michelin tires - huge improvement in handling!
6. Installed sound deadening material on front, slider, and rear doors
7. Replaced all hoses in engine compartment
8. Replaced pitted and cracked windshield and new seal
9. Installed headlight upgrade kit
10. Replaced pop top canvas with new synthetic type - awesome!
11. Full tune up
12. Replaced front window seals
13. Tinted all windows except windshield

Major projects for this summer are to:

1. Replace ALL remainder of cooling/heating system from pump to radiator
2. Install new LPG tank and propex heater at location of rear heater
3. Replace master cylinder while I have the dash out
4. Sound deaden the front panel while dash is out
5. Maybe get to mitigating minor seam rust

Any tips/advise on the cooling system replacement would be appreciated. For example, I plan to replace the thermostat housing with the Go Westy version and the coolant tower with the aluminum, one available at Van Cafe. All hoses, rubber, or-rings, sensors, and pipes will be replaced. Will also replace the heater fan motor when replacing front heater core. Are there other things I should replace while the dash is out, such as the wiper motor?

Thanks - happy to be a part of this cult![/list]
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't tell if your list includes replacing the radiator -- but replacements are cheap enough that this may be the time to do it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the dash is apart, be sure to replace the foam seals that go on the air flappers, The foam is failing by now, which means the air vents wont totally seal off, so you wont be able to keep out cold outside air when driving. so glue in some new foam seals.

And I did replace my radiator before it failed, I did like you , new motor so I replaced all the hoses, and the radiator too. my truck has a plastic tank radiator similar age and it cracked, not wanting a failure on the road, I replaced the Vans plastic sided radiator with new. new one is aluminum, old one was copper, but both have plastic side pieces.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Sounds like you have gotten off to an incredible start. Pictures or it didn't happen. Laughing

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
when the dash is apart, be sure to replace the foam seals that go on the air flappers, The foam is failing by now, which means the air vents wont totally seal off, so you wont be able to keep out cold outside air when driving. so glue in some new foam seals.

And I did replace my radiator before it failed, I did like you , new motor so I replaced all the hoses, and the radiator too. my truck has a plastic tank radiator similar age and it cracked, not wanting a failure on the road, I replaced the Vans plastic sided radiator with new. new one is aluminum, old one was copper, but both have plastic side pieces.

Yes - I am definitely replacing the radiator and the air ducts. With regard to the seals I don't recall seeing anything of that sort on the VC or GW websites. Does anyone have suggestion on a material that will last?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

1. Post pics.
2. Add your location to your profile, so we have a point of reference for future questions and comments.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: