Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake adjuster star differences
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Brake adjuster star differences Reply with quote

Does anyone know the years and differences on the brake adjusting stars and the bolts? Mainly the years they stopped the brass adjusters and the long head adjuster bolts. I've seen the steel adjusters with the shorter headed bolts, just trying to figure out what is correct for my '60 cause I'm starting from scratch with all the brake parts.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

58-64 for the adjuster screws. But one issue you may run into is finding narrow slots, if that's what you want. Now days some places sell the adjuster with a wider slot than it used to be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't know for sure about the stars though. The above parts list showed no difference as of Autumn 1971. I thought stock was brass and steel were aftermarket.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, you friggen rock! I've been looking all over the forums for this info, thank you so much. I was pretty sure I had the right stuff and I do. Almost 20 years of wrenching on these things and I'm still finding little things that I didn't know about. A lot of people prob don't either so I don't feel too bad lol. I never knew that 1958 front turn signal lenses and lens covers are 58 only! They look the same by just glancing, but there's a slight difference. Now I can finally search out the last couple missing brake parts so I can get this '60 on the road, thank you agin, Andy!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Also I might add that I don't know anymore what kind of width of slot you get in the wheel cylinders for those brakes as well. I think the last time I bought one it was wide just like the repro screws are. I don't even know if it matters really... Confused Question

-Andy

By the way, as "information is power" I'll share some links for information:

Autumn 1971 parts book, in English:

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html

A somewhat cleaner scan of that parts book, BUT in German, can be found here:

http://www.volkswagen-classicparts.de/service_technik/ersatzteilkataloge/
or:
http://www.vw-classicparts.de/et_katalog1970/index.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: