Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove main 36mm generator nut (at home)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: How to remove main 36mm generator nut (at home) Reply with quote

Yesterday I tasked myself with swapping fans between the old 6V generator (90mm) and the 105mm 12V one. Apparently the old fan is thinner and it is the only one that would fit inside the standard 1200cc shroud I have. Undoing the nut turned out to be not that bad - I was preparing myself for worse. I searched Samba for some reference but I couldn't find anything specific, mainly being quoted as a particularly fun job. So for whatever it is, here is how I did it.

What I did was to first soak it in WD40 for couple of hours. Then I placed generator inside the mechanics vice, as pictured, with pulley positioned as close to the edge as possible.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then, with a help of a screwdriver and a long handle on 36mm socket (I used torque wrench) it gave up fairly quickly, for both generators.

After undoing it I realised why it was actually so tough. Probably it is not because of the torque applied to the nut as such but rather due to a placement of a massive spring washer, which is what makes it real hard for the nut to start breaking.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: