Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another engine build question... 1776
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Yet another engine build question... 1776 Reply with quote

Yo guys!

My my my.... so many threads on engine builds. Aluminum versus magnesium, stock versus brazilian.... new cases, stock cases...

I really dig Aircooled.net, there info is nicely laid out and super thorough. The one thing that keeps sticking out in my head is not to use original engine cases, "old and warn out" line boring ain't so hot... could lead to heating issues.... etc.

I am wanting to pull the trigger on a long block this month, or very soon. It's for a 65' Bus. Planning on going with a 1776, single carb. I have a rebuilt 4.12 already installed. This will be an every few day driver, with a few longer trips a year.

I am sure there are boat loads of stock rebuilds on the road and running well. When is building up a stock case acceptable? Certain limits to line bore? What to stay away from?

I have been following up with GregsVW (Sacramento). I was referred his way through Skinner (Vacaville) Seems to like a good local builder. The block is fresh from the machine shop, align bore, deck surface, fresh inserts. First rebuild on this case.

I've built several Chevy engines years back. I do plan on building my own bus engine. But right now I want something reliable that will run well in California heat with some nice road trips. My to do list on the Bus is growing thinner and Im excited to get something put in. Any tips or leads would be highly appreciated.

Thanks All!
-Phil
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip #1 : Dont believe everything you read.
Quote:

The one thing that keeps sticking out in my head is not to use original engine cases, "old and warn out" line boring ain't so hot... could lead to heating issues.... etc

This is new top me and ive built over 20 engines. Im no pro, but i know what im doing. 90% of all my builds were using old cases and none have overheating issues. The combo and build assembly details is what counts most important. I have my own lineboring bar and ive been cutting my own cases now. No issues.

You're buding an engine for a stock bus, to me that screams an 1904 or 2017. Count on having a case stroker clearanced. I really like doing 2017s, very simple set up. If you are set on keeping it simple with a 1776, keep it basic. Have the case checked out, cut/bored, stock crank and a w100 w/ 1.1 solid shafts. The stock carb is a little undersized, so id try to budget a set of dual 36dells. Youll be surprised on how much mpg can be attained and gain a ton of power with duals. Id also factor in a full-flowed pump and filtration set up along with a 1.5 deep sump. New lifters, new bearings, oil pump, sump, filter set up, rebush your rods, new p/c set up, machining costs, etc. If you can manage it, a set of Tims super stockers, cc ed to specs. Might be worthwhile then rebuilding a used set of heads.This set up is not a major bank breaker, but these are options for a longtime running engine imo.

Heres a post of a 1776 I did for a customer with run video of a similiar engine to what your thinking of doing. The C35 is similiar to a W100. There are a few Web cams that are similiar grinds but I have yet to experiment with the smaller ones. Folks wanted to see what Super stockers looked like and I was able to provide a video outlining a build using them. Just some food for thought. I would advise against using scat lifters foremost.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559565&highlight=super+stockers

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!

Last edited by jfats808 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what you are asking... but there is nothing wrong with a second-hand, competently line-bored case. One of my engines is built on a case from a Kombi and carries 30-year-old other bits, too.

However, the machinist (and the engine builder) must know what he is doing... you can't line-bore with a die grinder or a broomstick wrapped in sandpaper.

I'm in Big Twubble elsewhere for saying this Laughing but a 1916cc engine will be the same effort and costs as a 1776 (the machining processes are just about identical, as are the component costs) but give you the extra capacity and, all things being equal, extra zing.

Hope this helps
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg at Gregsvw knows what is going on and has built many engines for racing and buses (long trip engines) etc... Listen to his suggestions and you should be good!
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single carb..... That is the limiter.

1776, stock heads...flycut to 53cc, CB2280 cam, svda dist.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another engine build question... 1776 Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Yo guys!

My my my.... so many threads on engine builds. Aluminum versus magnesium, stock versus brazilian.... new cases, stock cases...

I really dig Aircooled.net, there info is nicely laid out and super thorough. The one thing that keeps sticking out in my head is not to use original engine cases, "old and warn out" line boring ain't so hot... could lead to heating issues.... etc.

I am wanting to pull the trigger on a long block this month, or very soon. It's for a 65' Bus. Planning on going with a 1776, single carb. I have a rebuilt 4.12 already installed. This will be an every few day driver, with a few longer trips a year.

I am sure there are boat loads of stock rebuilds on the road and running well. When is building up a stock case acceptable? Certain limits to line bore? What to stay away from?

I have been following up with GregsVW (Sacramento). I was referred his way through Skinner (Vacaville) Seems to like a good local builder. The block is fresh from the machine shop, align bore, deck surface, fresh inserts. First rebuild on this case.

I've built several Chevy engines years back. I do plan on building my own bus engine. But right now I want something reliable that will run well in California heat with some nice road trips. My to do list on the Bus is growing thinner and Im excited to get something put in. Any tips or leads would be highly appreciated.

Thanks All!
-Phil

Any info about OE German cases not working and causing overheating is a complete lie. Every case is different. If you decide to go with a new engine, I would suggest my 1776 project streetwise longblock. I've been building the same combo for over 20 years and people with Buses love it. Hydraulic lifters means no more valve adjustments and Made in the USA Mofoco cylinder heads cool 15% better than standard aftermarket heads.

http://www.mofoco.com/item/_Project_Streetwise_1776cc_Longblock_BE1776PS/284/c71

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only case I warn people about is the H case-on anything more then a mild build the oil passages get restrictive and the alloy is really weak-the best cases in my opinion are the later 8mm dual relief cases

I also only recommend aluminum cases on large engines(2332+) or on large boosted engines

being a single carb I don't recommend anything much over the 1800cc range, single carbs seem to run at its limit there...this of course depends on the carb too, a single 44idf should support a mild 2110....

My engine build
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used cases line bored can work fine, but so much depends on who is doing the line boring. A good machinist will line bore, THEN bore check the bearings and bearing clearance from bearings/crank AFTER the bore. And do another .0005" cut if needed, etc. They don't just use the same boring bar for 500 cuts without re-checking, or checking at all. Believe it or not some shops do this, and don't check (don't care).

I know that Blackline and Painter's both do it right. I'm sure Sison does also, because he's anal like that.

I'm not saying other shops don't, but you better know before you have them cut your case, if you are going to line bore it. Most don't.

I would avoid all B and H cases entirely, IMO. It's a fact that most used cases out there are used and worn way beyond the point of trying to rebuild them. But some guys don't have that money either, so you have to compromise and do the best you can with what you have.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in Sacramento, pretty close. There should be a few shops around that can set up a used case properly with bearings you need. Ken Jansen in Belmont does good work and can do this for you.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
boomer1389
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I would avoid all B and H cases entirely,

My current engine case is a "AH". Should I be looking for a engine case without a "H or B" in the serial number for my engine build?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH is not H.
All case starting with A were pretty good.

Engine numbers don't really matter. Look for one with 8mm cylinder studs and two oil relief valves.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Sac I would use Gregs VW or Vallero's Machine Shop.

You cannot go wrong with either.

Good luck.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to go for a new case get an aluminum one! But they cost about 8 or 9 hundred! But with luck you can pick-up a good used VW AS-41 Magnesium Dual Relief case for around 1 or 2 hundred. Here is a fuel injected 1978 or so case in Sacramento CA for $50 but it has a broken lifter bore. Someone will need to be able to fix that! I think it would work! Then have it align-bored if needed for another hundred and have it opened up for another hundred and have it full flowed for some more money. But still you will save some money running a used case. The problem with used cases is that some machinist cut the thrust to 2nd cut which ends the life of the case. If a case is cut to second cut on the thrust that is it's last life. Always just clean up the thrust and cut a oversized thrust bearing to fit. That way a case can be re-built several times. The Aluminum cases don't need to be machined as much when rebuilt, Aluminum is much stronger than Magnesium and does not hammer out nearly as much as magnesium and the thrust will likely not need machining.
If you want to keep your engine looking stock you could fine an H Case for it. There pretty easy to find. Just run the Aluminum Porsche 356A/912 Oil cooler with it and it would be ok or do a Dog House fan Shroud and the much less expensive Stock VW Aluminum Oil Cooler.
Consider a stroker motor for a Bus! Makes a big difference in climbing the hills.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it makes more sense now about original cases. Anything can be good or bad when done properly, or crummy. I've been emailing with GregsVW a little, he first recommended a 1776. Which was my first go to.

Going a little bit larger, 1835, or 1915 would be nice, especially is machining isn't that much different. As much as I love dual carbs, as I've had a dual setup on a 1915 in a bug years ago (And loved it) not sure how reliable the setup is for something I want to get a lot of road time out of. Plus parts add up fast... Stroker would be awesome for a Bus I agree. More gain at a lower RPM... Im obviously not looking for top speeds, it's a bus Smile Good acceleration is probably the key thing for me.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I had a 65 bus I would be really tempted to build a engine that looked really stock but had a little more under the hood! Under the tins that is. I did a 74 mm stroke with 5.325" rods because it did not involve any modification from stock geometry. But I guess with B stroke pistons it possible to do 76mm or even 78 mm stroke. In a way stroke does not really need more carb like bore does! So a stroker could be built looking stock, running a stock carburetor and air cleaner and it would be a bit of a sleeper.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 64' Rag I had a few years ago. I didn't build a thing on it, except the stereo and wiring and windows Smile Which is why I sold it. Loved it... but had no real connection or satisfaction... plus I needed the dough. The car build that is, not necessarily the engine. I don't have any specs other than this was a 1915, with a FF. And it was a blast to drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I guess if I had a 65 bus I would be really tempted to build a engine that looked really stock but had a little more under the hood! Under the tins that is. I did a 74 mm stroke with 5.325" rods because it did not involve any modification from stock geometry. But I guess with B stroke pistons it possible to do 76mm or even 78 mm stroke. In a way stroke does not really need more carb like bore does! So a stroker could be built looking stock, running a stock carburetor and air cleaner and it would be a bit of a sleeper.

Dang, I may be sold on a stroker. I have some things to consider. Budget and also time. I'd love to build the engine myself, but I will leave the long block to someone, Greg I'm sure if he can squeeze in the build. (A long block)
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Danwvw wrote:

Dang, I may be sold on a stroker. I have some things to consider. Budget and also time. I'd love to build the engine myself, but I will leave the long block to someone, Greg I'm sure if he can squeeze in the build. (A long block)

If you start getting sold on a stroker, I would recommend a 2007/17(78/78.4 stroke) with 90.5 B pistons, 5.4 rods will work fine

use 40mm IDF's setup right should provide plenty of reliabilty with little tuning/readjusting

something close to the Engle W110 cam(I think web 163 is similiar and very popular now)

biggest thing is to listen to the builder, if he recommends a part over something else and lists pretty good reasons then you should consider it

the long block shouldn't run too much, and is probably the best for a budget/time build, especially when you can do the finish work

My engine build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2007cc engine would be a nice engine that way for a bus but if you do that with a stock carb your going to want to run a stock-ish cam or perhaps a w-100. A stock cam with 1.25 ratio rockers would probably be a good tractor engine in that size. The Web-Cam 218/219 might be a good choice and go with stock valve size heads and whatever carb or carbs you decide on. This 2007cc engine with the Dual carbs and the web-cam 163 and some L3 heads would probably make over a hundred horsepower and it would be all torque!
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The 2007cc engine would be a nice engine that way for a bus but if you do that with a stock carb your going to want to run a stock-ish cam or perhaps a w-100. A stock cam with 1.25 ratio rockers would probably be a good tractor engine in that size. The Web-Cam 218/219 might be a good choice and go with stock valve size heads and whatever carb or carbs you decide on. This 2007cc engine with the Dual carbs and the web-cam 163 and some L3 heads would probably make over a hundred horsepower and it would be all torque!

I did already invest in a new 4.12 trans. Should someone be little apprehensive going too big with a 4.12? I think it was Joe on a past post that reccomended as a general rule of thumb, staying under 2000cc for a 4.12. I know wheels and, all kinds of variables account into that as well..

This doesn't seem like too bad of a buy. He said it has about 5000 miles on it. Still, I'll probably be going with Greg or Chico, they're close and know there stuff. But if I see a bargain that'll work... pshhh count me in.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1601346

Eh? Risky?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: