Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to begin on a 57' ragtop. Newbie
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pware
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Where to begin on a 57' ragtop. Newbie Reply with quote

My father-in-law has had his 57' stored in his garage since his daughters where little. I've been married to his youngest daugher now for 20 years. I've never seen inside of it or seen it rolled out of the garage. It is currently packed inside and out with "stuff". Over the years I've mentioned a several times that some day I'd like to have that car and get it restored. He's currently 79 years old and maybe a month ago I suggested he should get it restored while he is young enough to enjoy riding and driving it around. Well....just this Easter weekend he told me to look into a place to have this done. I don't know where to begin and what to do. We would never really show it but mostly drive it around but would like it to look new again. I have no idea the condition it's in, as far as rust or body. I do know that it's not the original engine and I think he's done something to the fenders as he use to drive it around in the sand at Pismo Beach. He'd place his daughters in an upside down VW hood and a rope tied to the handle and the bumper of his bug and drag them around in the sand slowly. Anyway, I'd love to make it look as original a we can except the engine and making it 12 volt. We live in Southern California (I'm in North San Diego County and the he's in LA county near Pasadena) and would like to take it somewhere to have done. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pware!

if you can show us some pictures from the oval we can help you out.
changing from 6v to 12 volt is in my opinion a bad choice.
pware
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see what I can do, however, the way the car has been stored it would be hard to get pictures. It's filled with junk on the inside from floor to ceiling and front to back. The outside is covered with blankets and got junk sitting all over it to where you couldn't tell it was there. I know the engine in it isn't the original engine and he did something to the fenders, I'm not sure what, as I've never seen the car uncovered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: