Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no pedal pressure on new brake job
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: no pedal pressure on new brake job Reply with quote

After installing news shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, lines and three master cylinders I have no brake pedal. I can see brake shoes moving very little on wheels but pedal goes to the floor. I have checked for leaks, I also bench bleed the master cylinder. I said three masters, replacing each one as I though that was the problem. Any ideas, I am doing something wrong but what? Restoring 1968 Beetle. Thanks
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you bleed each wheel cylinder as well? The lines must be purged of air.
Easier job with two people, one pumps the brake the other operates the little valve at each wheel cylinder. Keep the reservoir topped off with fluid or you'll have to start again, and make sure you have a fair amount of extra brake fluid.
Simple guide - http://www.vw-resource.com/bleed2.html

If you're trying to do that and get no pressure there's a problem with one of the fittings and/or the brake lines, look for the leak.
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all my brakes, hoses, wheel cylinders, and MC recently. The following may help you get your brakes adjusted. I used a couple things that I learned here:

1) When I adjusted my brake shoes, I tightened them till they were almost tight against drums.
2) I, then gravity bleed all the wheel cylinders. when doing so pay attention to the fluid in the reservoir. Just crack the bleeders one at a time, and let the brake fluid drain. I used half a jar of a baby food jar size.
3) Ensured that I had 8 inches between the firewall and the brake pedal, adjust as necessary.
4) Bled my brakes using a helper in the traditional method of bleeding brakes
beginning with the furthest back (rr, lr,rf,lf)
5) Backed my brake shoes off till there was just a little friction
6) Rechecked my brakes, and brake pressure
7) Adjusted parking brake

edit for spelling and edited for correction of distance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a common problem. If you bleed and adjust enough eventually they will work.

In my experience first tightening the brake adjusters all the way to where you can't spin a wheel then having a friend pump as you bleed works best. That way you know the pedal slack is air, not a loose adjuster. When all bled and the pedal is hard then adjust the brakes until the just drag.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Standard beetle the front wheel cylinders are not set up so the bleed screw is at the top. The front wheel cylinder must be rotated 90 degrees to get that screw on top else there will always be air it there. I unscrew the backing plate and rotate it 90 degrees. Could also take the brake shoes off unbolt the wheel cylinder and hold it closed with a c-clamp while bleeding.

The Super does not have this issue.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go adjust them a bunch more times

sinch em up real tight

go mess with the pedal a few times and adjust them again

once you get the adjustment near right the pedal will appear

frequent adjustments are required

it's not a big deal if you own enough jacks stands to get it elevated
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bentley says (depending on the year) to start bleeding with the right front, not the furthest away (right rear).

This helped me get pressure started, but I still went around and around for a while.

Takes time, I gravity bled mine as well.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, most of the time a low pedal problem is a result of the shoes not being adjusted tight enough.

I have done a lot of brakes and master cylinders and I have NEVER removed a backing plate to bleed brakes on a beetle, and I don't gravity bleed, or vacuum bleed, or power bleed. Simple 2-man pump and bleed ... one wheel at a time with the shoes tight. All that other stuff just isn't necessary.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
In my experience, most of the time a low pedal problem is a result of the shoes not being adjusted tight enough.

I have done a lot of brakes and master cylinders and I have NEVER removed a backing plate to bleed brakes on a beetle, and I don't gravity bleed, or vacuum bleed, or power bleed. Simple 2-man pump and bleed ... one wheel at a time with the shoes tight. All that other stuff just isn't necessary.

That was what my problem was. I would adjust them until they rubbed, and then back them off. Well when I stepped on the pedal the shoes centered up and when I checked them again there was no rub at all. I kept doing this little by little with no results.

Aggravated, I tightened them up to where I could barely turn each wheel by hand. I went around the block and the brakes were now nice and crisp. But I was afraid they would still be rubbing, and therefore hot, when I got back. To my amazement, I lifted the car and spun each wheel freely. Apparently the "rub" you adjust them to wears off quickly as the shoes shape themselves to the drums.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people love to overcomplicate brake bleeding, XD. have a friend pump the brakes, and hold it down. loosen the bleeder to let some fluid shoot out, and tighten back up. repeat till no air comes out. start at the farthest wheel from the mastercylinder, and finish at the closest. Then you have to adjust all 8 shoes. this is the biggest pain in the ass, main reason why I switched to 4 wheel discs Laughing
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
boater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for good input. Will work on car today and get back with results. Thanks again !
brendo907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad i read this, sounds alot like my brake job. I have to pump once to get decent pedal. I guess ill be tightening my brakes and bothering the lady tommorow
boater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked on car last weekend. Went over everything. All parts brand new. Still no brake pedal . I'm thinking as the car sat for about a year with all parts installed in garage, system could have become dirty. I'm tear down all four wheels and clean and reinstall. I agree installing brakes and bleeding is not rocket science. Must be overlooking something. Will be trying til I get it right !
brendo907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boater wrote:
worked on car last weekend. Went over everything. All parts brand new. Still no brake pedal . I'm thinking as the car sat for about a year with all parts installed in garage, system could have become dirty. I'm tear down all four wheels and clean and reinstall. I agree installing brakes and bleeding is not rocket science. Must be overlooking something. Will be trying til I get it right !

do you have pedal if you pump it a few times?
Allyn132
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Bench bleed Reply with quote

You MUST bench bleed the Master Cylinder, otherwise you will get the results you are getting. Bench bleeding requires the use of plastic temporary plugs and a little patience. But you will get the desired result.

Allyn
zombiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you losing fluid? Is it possible your brake line to the rear has a leak in the tunnel causing you not to see it but giving you the impression its the parts?
boater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, after pumping pedal, still no pressure. As the car was sitting, I changed all brake lines. Positive no leaks. I leaning toward the fact that I am not bench bleeding Master cylinder correctly. Will try again ! Thanks for all input.
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bled, bled, bled, bled and bled brakes on my Ghia one time after replacing a bunch of brake parts. Everybody was telling me to bench bleed, to do this and that. I did. No go.
In the end, it was a brand new MC that was faulty. I put in the old one and finished everything in 15 minutes.
Other than that one, I never bench bled a MC , never had a problem with pedal pressure. One time I did was a bad part.
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bench bleeding is not necessary, but it will tell you if the Master Cylinder is good or bad.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: no pedal pressure on new brake job Reply with quote

boater wrote:
After installing news shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, lines and three master cylinders I have no brake pedal. I can see brake shoes moving very little on wheels but pedal goes to the floor. I have checked for leaks, I also bench bleed the master cylinder. I said three masters, replacing each one as I though that was the problem. Any ideas, I am doing something wrong but what? Restoring 1968 Beetle. Thanks

the shoes shouldn't move at all during this bleeding process

you have to adjust the shoes so the shoes can't expand

there are 8 adjusters

you have to turn then till the shoe is so tight the wheel barely turns

then by the time you do the second one on the same wheel it won't turn at all

do that before you bleed them

then back off maybe 3 clicks each

drive it around the block

jack it all up again and adjust the shoes again

do that everytime the pedal loses height adjust the brakes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: