Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s the best street engine configuration?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: What’s the best street engine configuration? Reply with quote

In high school I had a '73 Super Beetle and always dreamed of some day owning a Karmann Ghia. Now I've done it. I just purchased my dream car: a perfect all original stock ’72 Ghia.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My plan is to keep her looking all original other than wheels and engine.

I’m going to drop out the stock engine and keep it for resale, and put in a new performance engine for weekend fun. She won’t be for the drag strip. Just for fun. So, I'm starting from scratch and looking to buy a complete engine setup.

I’m looking for a smooth, gutsy acceleration, as quiet as possible, and anything that will help handling. And, I want to minimize maintenance -- I'm no mechanic.

So, my question is: what engine specs would you recommend in the $5,000 range?

Which are the most important components to invest in? Which will give the best all around full spectrum performance on the road?

Should I just buy a Gene Berg kit?
juki48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice looking car. if you want something you can just bolt in, I would suggest something like a 2007-2110cc range with dual 44mm carbs, a mild cam and merged exhaust with dual quiet pack mufflers. should be very reliable and have plenty of power. the 2007 and 2110 are stroker cranks which will give you more low end torque.

74 Ghia 2276 Turbo MSII Extra
67 Beetle in restoration
Manx style buggy 1600 stock
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba

82x90.5=2110, DRD 40x35.5 L5 heads, Engle FK-8 cam w/1.4 rockers, 1 5/8" exhaust, dual 44 IDF's and 9.0:1 compression for 91 pump gas.

That will get you anywhere across Canada and a few good stoplight squirts against the Hunnda's on Saturday night. Built right with quality parts will take little maintenance to get 80,000 miles and 30 MPG
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86B, wedgeports, 82x94, 1 5/8" exhaust, and 48 Webers or Dells. Would be a screamer of a street car that could run pump gas.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get as many opinions as asking what is the best beer. Lots of answers, lots of good combo's.

Whatever you do, stick with one combo, don't try to combine recipes or you're likely to end up with a bastard combo that doesn't perform like you want.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Eaallred said. I'll pick out what you said is important to you. You need quiet operation? You'll need a cam with a gentle ramp for one. Less valvetrain noise. Mild camshafts designed for 1.4:1 rockers are usually much quieter than ones designed for 1.1:1 rockers. The Engle FK 7 is renowned for it's quiet operation, but ends kind of early in the RPM range (5000). The FK8 is pretty quiet too (6500ish).

Aircooled.net sells cut to length aluminum HD pushrods. Aluminum pushrods are much quieter than steel.

Your exhaust selection will also change the noise level. Vintage Speed in Taiwan focuses on DBUs over raw horsepower.

Lastly, balancing all of your rotating assembly will smooth out your ride and reduce noise from vibration.
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
You'll get as many opinions as asking what is the best beer. Lots of answers, lots of good combo's.

Whatever you do, stick with one combo, don't try to combine recipes or you're likely to end up with a bastard combo that doesn't perform like you want.

this, and if your looking for turnkey, go to a reliable shop, you'll pay a little more but you will get the reliability you want

that being said Daves' combo is pretty good, and would be my first recommendation

My engine build
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Welcome to The Samba

82x90.5=2110, DRD 40x35.5 L5 heads, Engle FK-8 cam w/1.4 rockers, 1 5/8" exhaust, dual 44 IDF's and 9.0:1 compression for 91 pump gas.

That will get you anywhere across Canada and a few good stoplight squirts against the Hunnda's on Saturday night. Built right with quality parts will take little maintenance to get 80,000 miles and 30 MPG

This would rip in a light ghia and would last for years if built right!!!
cgoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for, Dave!

Do you know anyone that builds this turnkey or is it better to find a local shop to assemble it?

bugguy1967 wrote:
Aircooled.net sells cut to length aluminum HD pushrods. Aluminum pushrods are much quieter than steel.

Your exhaust selection will also change the noise level. Vintage Speed in Taiwan focuses on DBUs over raw horsepower.

Good tip there too!
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aircooled-Net-82mm-Stroker-VW-Long-Block-p/82-stroker-long-block.htm

Then you get 10% off anything else you purchase to finish it off when ordered at same time

cgoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aircooled-Net-82mm-Stroker-VW-Long-Block-p/82-stroker-long-block.htm

Then you get 10% off anything else you purchase to finish it off when ordered at same time

Thanks! I see they say "We only offer solid lifters, we do not sell, use, nor recommend hydraulic lifters."

Do you agree with solid vs. hydraulic lifters? Hydraulic needs less maintenance, right?
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in a VW. Hydraulics are known for having problems, especially if used for anything over stock. For that reason you are severely limited in cam choice as well.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vwracerdave"]Welcome to The Samba

That will get you anywhere across Canada and a few good stoplight squirts against the Hunnda's on Saturday night. Built right with quality parts will take little maintenance to get 80,000 miles and 30 MPG[/quote

More or less the same as my bus motor. Expect I have 48 IDF's and 9.5:1 compression. In my '70 westy it has tons of bottom end grunt and goes like a rocket. In a Ghia that will be horrendous on the street
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 1600 Dual Port engine you are taking out of the car is the original matching# engine, I would not sell it. Keep it with the car, the next owner would pay extra to have it. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a turn key option. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1284778
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
cgoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
If the 1600 Dual Port engine you are taking out of the car is the original matching# engine, I would not sell it. Keep it with the car, the next owner would pay extra to have it. Tom

It was a single owner, a lady who kept it meticulously. Unfortunately, when she had the engine rebuilt a few years ago, she didn't specify that she wanted the original block used. When I bought it she still thought it was the original with matching numbers until I spoke with the rebuild shop. I'm not fussy about that, but it would have been nice to have the OEM.
cgoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Here is a turn key option. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1284778

Thanks! Looks like Ricky has good reviews too: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369537&highlight=thewrightgearbox+sbcglobal

Maybe I'll see if he can build to Dave's specs.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:

If you have this guy supply your engine I would ask for a vw journal crank over the chevy journal. The vw journal crank is stronger. The only time they are a benefit is with 86mm+ strokes and with all type 4 mains because it fits better. Dan
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good engine builders in Canada that could build you a good engine and save money on shipping.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
There are a lot of good engine builders in Canada that could build you a good engine and save money on shipping.

True^^^
Where are you located in Canada? Maybe we can suggest a reputable builder near you. Shipping across border can be a pain sometimes and usually ends up costing you more.
70 911T
91 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: