Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Master Cylinder for upgraded brakes; AKA 4piston or 4 pot
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigashlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Master Cylinder for upgraded brakes; AKA 4piston or 4 pot Reply with quote

OK...enough looking I have is bmw 2002 fronts 4 piston calipers & 914/4 rear brakes. MY QUESTION; There is a 23mm Porsche 914/911 early upgraded one , has anybody installed this master? Mercedes Benz unknown I think 22mm. For bug folks a 20.6?? mm one for type1 installs. Can the "rod" be made long & just use the bug unit? Or 914 master "appears" to close to type3 , maybe just by looking @ pix's. the type3 has a short neck & bug does not, I see that Lanner has deal for bug so I'm going e-mail him & see? SO whom has done a major mods to master brake & what calipers & what did the master start as or OEM part number & app.?? thanks type3 drivers. Question Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for what I've used and run to this point, but a 19mm Porsche 911 MC is a good upgrade for 914s and gives a firmer pedal while still allowing for good brake modulation and feel. A 23mm Porsche MC makes for a very firm pedal and you need to exert more force to exact the same results as the 19mm. I would not recommend a 23mm for this reason.

When I install the new MC on my Squareback that has 911"M" calipers front and stock 944 calipers rear, I plan on installing a 19mm 911 MC to run it all.

In general the smaller the MC bore = softer pedal, less force to actuate brakes and the more pedal feedback (feel) you get. The larger the MC bore = harder pedal, More force to actuate brakes and less feedback. It's really a balancing act.

Most MCs w/ bores larger than 19mm are power assisted. . .

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind the 911MC has less ports, and banjo style fittings. The early ones have one hole for the rear, one hole for the front with a banjo fitting and the electric brake light switch through the fitting. The later one has it's own hole for the switch, but still, just one hole for the front, one for the back, banjos and T's. Keep that in mind when planning your brake lines

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
I can only speak for what I've used and run to this point, but a 19mm Porsche 911 MC is a good upgrade for 914s and gives a firmer pedal while still allowing for good brake modulation and feel. A 23mm Porsche MC makes for a very firm pedal and you need to exert more force to exact the same results as the 19mm. I would not recommend a 23mm for this reason.

When I install the new MC on my Squareback that has 911"M" calipers front and stock 944 calipers rear, I plan on installing a 19mm 911 MC to run it all.

In general the smaller the MC bore = softer pedal, less force to actuate brakes and the more pedal feedback (feel) you get. The larger the MC bore = harder pedal, More force to actuate brakes and less feedback. It's really a balancing act.

Most MCs w/ bores larger than 19mm are power assisted. . .

here's the math on this

pedal force = MC hydraulic pressure x MC bore area

Ipso facto, the stuff the MC needs to put out to stop

hydraulic pressure = MC pedal force / MC bore area

MC bore area = pi (bore diam ^2) / 4

To stop the same, the MC hydraulic pressure is equal for both the 19 and 23 mm bore MC.

hydraulic pressure = MC pedal force (23 mm) / MC bore area (23 mm)

= MC pedal force (19 mm) / bore area (19 mm)

Ergo ipso facto;

MC pedal force (23 mm) / MC pedal force (19 mm) = MC bore area (23 mm) / MC bore area (19 mm)

MC bore area (23 mm) / MC bore area (19 mm) = (23 mm ^ 2) / (19 mm ^2)

= 529 / 361

= 1.469

Abracadabra, et tu brute:

The extra leg force is 100 x (1.469 - 1) = 47%

Now you know how much extra leg effort it takes to stop the same and you also now know why.

I copied and pasted this. I'm not that smart (or maybe I am, because I copied and pasted?)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: