Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake job?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FairfieldDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Brake job? Reply with quote

Hey group, my back drum brakes are starting to grind a little (time to replace pads?) just trying to understand how big of a job it is to complete in my garage. Is it worth just having it done somewhere else? Also don't know what it's will cost?
Dave
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you do any mechanical work yourself? Brakes are easy. Done them in all sorts of places,mostly out in the driveway so a garage would be a step up. Grinding is never a good sound and you may need your drums turned as well as pads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drum brakes aren't hard to do, they just take time. Search youtube, and watch a couple videos. I did them on my bug and so far so good (bug is rolling now, but stops when brakes are applied). Cost for you to do it, should be $40 for new shoes, a hardware kit and some brake cleaner. A shop will cost anywhere from $80+

The knowledge that you'll learn from doing your own brakes though is not something you can put a price on.
LeninCas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to do it yourself, send me a PM and I will make a video and post it on Youtube for you.

It's really not hard at all, you will need a flathead screwdriver, a vice grip, 36mm socket, and a torque wrench. A hammer will be nice to take out a little horse shoe for your e-brake.

I think that's all you need. The only things you probably don't have are the socket and torque wrench which you can rent at AutoZone for free.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think someone should mention the 300 ftlb Mad axle nut standing between him and his break pads. Once that is off the rest is easy.

I doubt you have a torquemaster or a impact wrench. They are the right tools for the job. I just use a 3 foot breaker bar and a foot high stack of wood blocks. I put the wrench on the lug nut, and the other end on the blocks. I then drive the car, either forward or reverse thus spinning the axel. Wrench not spinning + axel spinning = loose nuts. Wink
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these and a big hammer for the big nut.
http://www.sandparts.com/servlet/the-58985/Axle-Nut-Removal-Tool,/Detail
Although ptjjb's method is genius and I might try that just for kicks sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need it... at least to get it off, big socket and a 3 foot piece of exhaust pipe to use for leverage.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to change the pads on drum brakes you are misinformed and best off letting someone else do it.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads,shoes, whatever. Get over yourself. He is asking if he can do the job. He can if he is so inclined. It's not rocket science, no matter what you call it.
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the drum off, take a photo... do what needs doing... plenty of vids on tube. Reinstall, then compare with your photo.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finefettle wrote:
Pads,shoes, whatever. Get over yourself. He is asking if he can do the job. He can if he is so inclined. It's not rocket science, no matter what you call it.

it is rocket science

by the time he fails to adjust them properly loses the pedal and pulls the master cylinder

you will understand
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to do it , do one side first leave the other one open for reference , once youre done with one side do the other ...
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take pics with your phone, if you need a reference point. I did. One of those torquemeister tools (be it pricey) makes this job a breeze. I tried a breaker bar with a long pipe and got no where. Frustrated and tired of looking like fool balancing on the pipe to my neighbors, I ordered one and amazed how it loosened up in mere seconds.

Yes, there are a bunch of good videos to give you an idea. I had ZERO experience in this department (cars in general to be honest) and I have it down to doing the entire brake system. Just do your reading and watching.

Save and learn, at the same time. The alternative is to take it to a mechanic and you know how that will go. They will see you coming a mile away. No pun intended. Laughing

Last edited by gargamel on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:
finefettle wrote:

it is rocket science

by the time he fails to adjust them properly loses the pedal and pulls the master cylinder

you will understand
Rolling Eyes

There's a bit more to life than adjusting your brakes 2 or 3 times a day! It seems that's about all you get done... ADJUST BRAKES...ADJUST BRAKES... ADJUST BRAKES...............GET A LIFE! Popcorn

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a favorite on this post mort

I am so old I did 4-5 vw brake jobs a day

I could sell the s::: out of them when all they needed is an adjustment

heck if I did the brakejob and they had half a brain they'd come back often for another adjustment

those that didn't got a new brakejob somewhere else

talked crap because I insisted on keeping them safe

or maybe they'd take it on and before ya know it they have the master out

in all the brake jobs I can't remember one master cylinder replacement

there's those tyhat do
those that have
and those that talk
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right. It's Socket science. You win Laughing
Good luck with your brakes.
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:
put a favorite on this post mort

I am so old I did 4-5 vw brake jobs a day

I could sell the s::: out of them when all they needed is an adjustment

heck if I did the brakejob and they had half a brain they'd come back often for another adjustment

those that didn't got a new brakejob somewhere else

talked crap because I insisted on keeping them safe

or maybe they'd take it on and before ya know it they have the master out

in all the brake jobs I can't remember one master cylinder replacement

there's those tyhat do
those that have
and those that talk

So why shoot the guy the down? He's asking a question? Because he said brake pads, instead of brake shoes?

This is the problem with America. Somebody asks about something, makes a minor mistake, and then people tell them they can't do it.

Why should any of us ever try to learn, or do something if there is always going to be somebody to tell us that we shouldn't, or we can't do it?

I say fuck them. I've had plenty of people tell me I can't do something, yet I do it or I try. I would never know if I could, or couldn't if I never tried. This is a forum for helping people, not shooting them down.

Sorry about the ignorant customers you've had in the past. I deal with ignorant ones today at my job. Saying that I'm just telling them they need extra parts so I can get more sales, instead of thinking, he's telling me these items are needed so the job is done right the first time, not the second and I don't have drive back up here.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how talking someone into buying something that will cost them money--something they don't even need, can be thought of as "selling".

A while back, I took my Del Sol in to get the wheels aligned, and they gave me an unasked-for estimate on a set of McPherson struts that they said I needed. $662.33, they wanted.

I took the car down to a wheel shop that usually does my bug alignment and the owner there says my Del Sol's struts are fine.

So, did Les Schwab try to "sell" me a set of struts, installed? Or did they just try to steal my money?

It's all a matter of opinion, I guess. But my opinion compelled me to turn them in to the California Bureau of Automotive Affairs today.

"Sold" 'em down the river, I did.

As far as this newbie's brake job, I'd say go for it. But first, watch a few You Tube videos on how to do it. A number of specialized tools are required, and also a feel for brake adjustment. Get a Hayne's or Bently manual, too.

Tim
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked You are NOT supposed to wait until it starts making expen$ive noi$e$ before doing a brake job. Shocked
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Funny how talking someone into buying something that will cost them money--something they don't even need, can be thought of as "selling".

A while back, I took my Del Sol in to get the wheels aligned, and they gave me an unasked-for estimate on a set of McPherson struts that they said I needed. $662.33, they wanted.

I took the car down to a wheel shop that usually does my bug alignment and the owner there says my Del Sol's struts are fine.

So, did Les Schwab try to "sell" me a set of struts, installed? Or did they just try to steal my money?

It's all a matter of opinion, I guess. But my opinion compelled me to turn them in to the California Bureau of Automotive Affairs today.

"Sold" 'em down the river, I did.

As far as this newbie's brake job, I'd say go for it. But first, watch a few You Tube videos on how to do it. A number of specialized tools are required, and also a feel for brake adjustment. Get a Hayne's or Bently manual, too.

Tim

There is a difference between selling, and stealing. They were trying to steal from you, not sell you anything.

That's how today's world works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: