Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Hello Samba,

I am starting my first restoration/ build thread on my 1980 rabbit pickup. I posted in another thread here introducing myself. Back in the day, I would have done this myself, but with too many responsibilities and not having the proper work space I took it down to a customization shop to have it professionally done. I've been out of the game too long and didn't feel I had the experience needed to get it done the way I envision. I guess This is really going to be their build, but with my direction.

Here is the pickup back in the early 90's
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used to roll this little beast around and all my fellow VW friends used to give me tons of crap about rolling a "lame ass" rabbit pickup. I loved it and it's funny to see that they are cool now. It was originally a diesel that I converted to a '83 GTI engine. As you can see I also did the quad round conversion. I pretty much had the thing entirely GTI converted including the dash conversion and all the appropriate interior pieces. It was obviously an amateur effort, but it was with a lot of love, scouring through dozens of junkyards for hours and hours, and wrenching away that I had it nearly finished. Fast forward almost 20 years and I was able to pull it out of storage and find someone who could really put the professional hands on it that I think it deserves. I just had the engine pulled to get cleaned up and the necessary parts replaced. I also had it pulled to get it ready for full body work and paint. Years of neglect reared it's ugly head. motor mounts were all bad, there were obvious problems around the A/C condenser, and one of the axle seals had gone bad slinging axle grease all over the bottom of the motor. My goal is to have this restored/customized by the end of the year. I'll be meeting with the painter sometime in the next few weeks. Photos to follow as progress continues.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

But, they were always cool. Cool Laughing
driverlost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn Very cool!

May the war on Air vs Water end in my lifetime that we may all come together and enjoy the hobby.
Bugga
Samba's lil one

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love! Please keep posting pictures! My little truck is my fav Vw i have ever had! I always told my dad that I wanted one,he always said good luck cause they are hard to find.. I traded an 03 for 98 Jetta to my 82 caddy Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked up some new(ish) mk2 seats for the truck and found 3 yards of original Mk1 GTI upholstery.

Thinking of going this route.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A parrothead with a plan. Can't beat it. Cool
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
A parrothead with a plan. Can't beat it. Cool

Not really a parrot head, although I do like Jimmy. Sorry I gave the wrong impression with my avatar. That's actually my blue and gold macaw I've had for 20 years.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubman72 wrote:
That's actually my blue and gold macaw I've had for 20 years.

Even better. Applause
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress clearing out the engine bay. Hopefully taking it to the body shop for paint this weekend.

picked up some rare NOS BBS rims that were still sitting in the boxes 20 years later.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome wheels. Keep the updates coming.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off to paint! Think I'm either going with the 20th anniversary GTI jazz blue or the R32 blue pearl. Leaning toward the blue pearl.

Cameron V.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the wheels, and that Recaro seat fabric is wild! Any updates?

Ever since my girlfriend bought a convertible I've been jonesing for a pickup. Hopefully the urge will die down soon; at the very least I can live vicariously through you.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no updates as of yet. I did get word from the painter that he wants to start sometime this week which is good news. I decided the deep blue pearl from the R32 was a little too flashy, so I 'm going with the shadow blue metallic from the 6th generation GTI. Still flashy, but darker and more subdued. I'm planning on visiting the shop every week to take pictures and hopefully document some updates.
Cameron V.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I saw a GTI in that colour go by my house yesterday! First time I ever saw one in that colour. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see this thing come together!
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

I have always wanted to put a 3rd brake light into the space between the roof and the rear window. I really wanted to graft something in versus a surface mounted aftermarket one. I also wanted to keep it VW, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't form fitted to a specific curve of the donor car or small enough to fit that space. While I was scouring a salvage yard for possible VW candidates, the yard had a series of salvaged Porsches. I measured everything and it appears like it will fit. The light was straight enough to match the contour of the pickup, so I bought a section and am going to have my body guy graft the light with the housing into the space I've circled below. At least I'm keeping it in the VAG family.

Note: not my truck. stole the pic from the web.

stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE ! I've always thought my truck should have a 3rd brake light also, but I was going to add it to the tailgate. Nice touch! Maybe something like this;
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hagan-Street-Rods-6-...46198.html

Stick with the pearl blue. Mine is Electric Blue Pearl from a late Dodge pickup. I love it.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the spot above the back glass mainly because of the height. The truck is lowered and it's bad enough these guys in their monster trucks can't see me with my regular brake lights let alone one that's at the same height in the tailgate. Wiring was also a consideration. I can access the brake wiring fairly easy from the cab without worrying about wires being exposed when you open and close the tailgate.

I looked and looked for the right one to graft in and the Porsche one just fit near perfectly. Even the metal housing was nearly the same contours in all 3 dimensions. Plus, I think it's fun to say I used a Porsche part. Wink I'll be updating to the brighter LED replacement unit so the monster truckers can hopefully see me even better. I got rear ended in a previous rabbit pickup I had a long time ago and I don't want to have to relive that if I can avoid it.

I think I'm sticking with he shadow blue. It's somewhat similar to the current color which I'm happy with
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updates: 3rd brake light looks like it's going in as planned and the caddy is being prepped for paint

some minor rust repair still to go.

veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third brake light in. Corey does amazing work. He says it will be in primer by next week. I am eager to see it in paint!

veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First round of blocking and then another primer and then off to paint!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: