Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkeyworth wrote:
So do we get to see the finished product?

I would certainly hope so! LOL. Unfortunately, I had a bit of an injury setback that delayed progress for a few months. I'm back on track and the car is going in for upholstery on the 8th. I'll post pics of befores and afters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you may see this repeated since I've posted a build thread on the VWvortex also, but since I'm an air-cooled guy who dabbles in water-cooled and since vortex is definitely more of a water cooled community I like to post the build here for those like me who are more air-cooled biased.

Anyway, updates.. got the interior done Very Happy

When I originally built this truck I put a pop up sunroof in because that was the thing to do back in the day. I wasn't going to try and fill it back in so I just updated with a better one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From this mess (sorry about the crappy sell phone pic)

to a new pre-molded carpet from StockInteriors.com cut and installed.

Back b-pillars and bedwall done

A pillars and headliner done

with matching sunvisors.

and another front end shot just for ****s and giggles

next on the list is to replace the old beat up warped and cracked dash with a near perfect one I was able to locate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty, good work!

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress happened today thanks to my good friend who helped. We spent a good part of today doing the dash swap and interior bits.

old dash out:

a little cleanup before the new one goes in:

new dash in:

lots of NOS parts going in to finish it up, plus that new steering wheel:

Replaced the e-brake with a fresh powdercoated one and had my own e-brake boot cover made from the navy blue alacantra leather. I have a matching shift boot cover made without the embroidery, but I'm working on getting that fit just right. In the meantime and old black NOS accordion shift boot is serving its purpose:

bonus shots of the dash. I'm going to have my vinyl and leather repair guy come and color match all the discolored sections and even try to match up the glove box and the knee panel to make it all a uniform blue:

cjsmitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking great bro!! Gotta love how passionate you are about your cars, I'm just glad to have been a part of this one.......

Corey

http://instagram.com/smittys_auto_body
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all looks very nice. I had for gotten how wonky the tach is in these, you would think they could at least match zero rpm with zero mph... The car...errr truck looks very nice.
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjsmitty wrote:
That's looking great bro!! Gotta love how passionate you are about your cars, I'm just glad to have been a part of this one.......
Corey

Me too! It wouldn't be were it's at without you!
GRM1964
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Updates?
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I got a little derailed. I was inspecting the old rhino lining. And noticed it was peeling and bubbled in certain places, so I removed the section on the bed wall under the rear window and found this on both sides.

I took it rhino lining, because believe it or not, I still had the receipt with the lifetime warranty still attached from 20 years ago. Well, that didn't mean jack shit to rhino lining. They said the warranty from that long ago only covers the actual materials and not any damage caused from poor prep. They have since updated the warranty, but that obviously didn't help me. I was seriously worried because I just had it painted and upholstered. I was imagining the heat from any welding would screw it all up. I took it to Corey to see what could be done and as we inspected the rust we could see that it was rusting from the inside out. We surmised that water must have gotten in through the old leaky sunroof and flowed down the back and pooled in those 2 corners. Corey said before we do anything, let's get it media blasted to see where to start. So, off to media blasters. This is what came back.

To my relief, Corey told me he could fix it without digging into the paint or have to remove any upholstery. He cut out all the bad metal and replaced it. He took it slow and kept the heat down. Miracle worker as far as I'm concerned.

And this was the only damage which will be easily covered by the new bed liner. Don't think I'll be going back to rhino linings. Confused

veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

new color matched bedliner in from Line-X

The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Love your story, but most of the photos are not there or broken links?

Im leaving a survivor Mountain Green Pickup with all its rustful character and redoing the engine bay with a newly built 1.6l that came in the rig. I am LOVING working on this little engine. Good luck with all your future progress!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm getting ready to do the entire front end (suspension, control arms, tie rods, axles, knuckles, brakes etc..) Just acquiring all the parts all need to try and do it in one shot.

Just went back through all three pages and the photos all show for me. Check with my friends and they all confirmed. You sure you don't have some security filter that blocks photobucket or something? Try a different browser?
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Internet at work went out lol didn't load pics...

I got my entire front suspension setup through techtonicstuning.com. Randy over there has helped me in a MASSIVE way with random parts and info. The PO put in bolts where the camber bolts went and messed the control arms up. I'm looking to get some coil overs and do the rear axle flip when it's back on all 4's. I have most of my build for it, my motorcycles, my bus, and my other projects on Instagram if you're keen to see what I've had to deal with. It's been a LONG road to recovery and just a little bit left to finish. I also have a parts Corrado and really want to do the rear bench seat conversion into the truck. I have the engine bay stripped and trying to work on shaving the bay now. Want to have it look like a survivor with a brand new drivetrain. If you have the time, grease that steering control box. I've heard on the other vortex site of people running into issues after they do a rebuild and not tending to the aged grease inside the box. They get squeaks or it starts getting tough to turn.

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
cjsmitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: (Re)restoring my 1980 rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Any updates???? Come on man its not like you have a job or anything else to be doing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://instagram.com/smittys_auto_body
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: