Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Based Twin?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driven5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: VW Based Twin? Reply with quote

All questions of sanity aside, if someone wanted to build their own basic (easy to maintain) air-cooled parallel twin engine from as many readily available off-the-shelf components as possible, are there any technical concerns that would prevent using the Type I engine as the foundation? Maybe I'm just missing something that should otherwise seem entirely obvious. But after spending a considerable amount of time thinking and researching about it, the glaring issues would be the custom built case and custom (modified?) fully counterweighted crankshaft. But beyond that, what would be the main hurdles?

The biggest unknown that jumps to mind is that oil drainage in the head could be an issue. With Rabbit valve seals and keeping it slanted at least somewhat towards the pushrod tubes might that be enough to mitigate any potential problems? Worst case scenario I would think the head could be tapped for additional drainage plumbing. Is there anything else about these engines that would prevent half of one from being tipped up at a 60* or 75* angle?

Also, what if the phase angle of the crankshaft was revised from 180* to 360*? Are the lobes on the cam blanks full circles, such that any 'custom' cam grinder could rephase one to match?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to block off the oil passage that goes to the right side lifters and tip up the left side.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A parallel twin should have a 180 degree crank - otherwise it would just be two singles coupled together.
Use the left side of the case, make a girdle or something to keep the bearings in place, and bolt an oilpan to the case split bolts. A piece of cake.
Note that oil drainage from the head is a very small issue compared to the amount of work needed to make it all work.
Something has to be done with crankcase breathing, oil system, cooling, and other bits I forget right now.
It will surely work, and with a stock crank too. (It may have to have counterweights matched to the missing rods)
Driven5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I know that these kinds of questions can seem outlandish enough to rational people that they are often not given much consideration.

I believe the 'traditional' parallel twins actually used the 360* crank, even if the 180* crank has better balance and eventually became more popular because of it. Technically a parallel twin should probably have a 270*, or maybe even ~285* crank, but that's neither here nor there. A stock crank may work to get it running initially, but I wouldn't automatically count on it being ideal in the long run either. So assuming a cu$tom crank may eventually get thrown into the mix anyways, the main additional concern I can see at that juncture with changing the cylinder phasing to anything other than 180*, would be the cam lobe phasing. Thus my interest in finding out if the standard blanks used by most VW cam grinders would allow for otherwise standard ground cam lobes to be rephrased to compensate, or if they too would have to be completely cus$tom from scratch.

I do realize that the amount of work to do this would be pretty immense. There would obviously be many more concerns needing to be addressed, but right now I'm mostly looking for anything (obvious big bits or unsuspecting little bits) that could potentially be a show stopper. It would be better to find as many as possible now, during the initial investigation, rather than after diving headfirst into such a project.

Last edited by Driven5 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Based Twin? Reply with quote

Driven5 wrote:
what would be the main hurdles?

Pissing everyone off because you're driving so slow?

Why bother modifying a VW, just start off with a proper parallel twin like a Fiat 650 engine or something like that.

http://www.fiat500sport.com/engine-assembly/original-fiat-126-650cc-made-in-italy-0249.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ordered a bunch of parts from those guys when I built my 700cc street motor, the thing was a beast for a twin. 45DCOE, race cam, glasspack, the whole nine. Costs an arm and a leg, but it would definitely be different.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about a guy who put a Citroen aircooled opposed four Visa engine in a bug. It had one hp less than the 1300 it replaced. When asked about WHY?!, he replied:"Basic hot rodding. It hadn't been done before"
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, a well tuned 1166 cc twin should deliver 75 hp without much trouble.
Driven5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Based Twin? Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Pissing everyone off because you're driving so slow?
Apparently you haven't spent much time around Seattle drivers...Although using a "proper" Fiat twin with 2/3 the displacement might start becoming a problem, depending on what it's installed in.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, I spent 4 years in that hellhole they call Chicago and Hampton Roads isn't much better. GRIDLOCK is a daily occurrence.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done I'm sure. It has been done before keeping the engine horizontal and just using 1-2 cylinders and head. The other side gets the cylinder spigots and pushrod tube holes blocked off.

What is the intended use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driven5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Please, I spent 4 years in that hellhole they call Chicago and Hampton Roads isn't much better. GRIDLOCK is a daily occurrence.
Drivers, not traffic. Chicago drivers have no fear of going bumper to bumper at well over the posted speed limit. Seattle drivers, on the other hand, are terrified to go anywhere near the posted speed limit or the car in front of them.

Matthew wrote:
It can be done I'm sure. It has been done before keeping the engine horizontal and just using 1-2 cylinders and head. The other side gets the cylinder spigots and pushrod tube holes blocked off.

What is the intended use?
I'm not too surprised that would work in the horizontal position, but one of my main concerns is with tipping it upright and whether the angled use could specifically cause any problems of note. That's why some of my first thoughts went to the oil system and drainage.

I have no detailed plans for what exactly it would end up in, but something small, light, and front engined would be a pretty safe bet...Or maybe something that could be titled as a 'motorcycle'.
Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been converting Vdubs to two cylinders for mebe 40 years?
http://www.flyhummel.com/hummel-bird
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldfart wrote:
They have been converting Vdubs to two cylinders for mebe 40 years?
http://www.flyhummel.com/hummel-bird
Yeah, but they do it the easy way. Theres a hard way too.
Driven5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the easy path does you no good, if it does not lead to where you are going. It is then that the more difficult path may actually be your easiest option.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driven5 wrote:
And the easy path does you no good, if it does not lead to where you are going. It is then that the more difficult path may actually be your easiest option.
Think
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a water cooled twin?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driven5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
How about a water cooled twin?
Nice pics. The hinged radiator was a cute idea. If my ideas were to test out successfully, then yes it might become advantageous to take on the added complexity of building a water cooled engine for any further developments. But to just get a running proof-of-concept engine, simplicity would be the name of the game...Which is why I'm specifically looking into what could be done with Type 1 components, and what the limiting factors might be.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If simplicity were the name of the game, just leave one side off, make up a cam to suit and cut up and weld the original crankshaft to provide a 360 firing arrangement. You could slant it up about 30-45 degrees and still fit it under the hood would be my guess (just move the pickup and add a new drain plug. Use the right side and you won't need to worry about the left filling with oil. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: