Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helicopter bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Helicopter bus? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this real, or a great Photoshop job?
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a crappy photoshop to me
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....then there is this VW helicopter!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Max VW powered helicopter

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

that is an autogyro, not a helicopter. looks similar, but functions differently. totally bad-ass, best use for a 40hp engine ever.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
grey60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

That is one of the coolest things I've seen lately.

What's that? You've got a BMX bicycle or motorcycle or an open-wheel race car in the bed of your truck? I've got a freakin helicopter!

Now on my ever-growing list of VW-related things I need research in case I ever win the lottery.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
campingbox wrote:

that is an autogyro, not a helicopter. looks similar, but functions differently. totally bad-ass, best use for a 40hp engine ever.

I think you need to build one of those.
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fun to think about a vw powered helicopter, people have been using air cooled 2 and 4 cylinder vw engines in experimental airplanes for years but making an airplane fly vs a helicopter fly are two completely different subjects. To make a halfway decent helicopter the engine should be able to put out at least 120hp which would require a performance vw engine running at the top of it's rpm band for long periods of time. An airplane needs maximum performance for its take off and climb out while a helicopter requires it for hovering, take off, climbing and cruise flight at altitude and speed. Vw engines are more suited for planes and gyroplanes but I would be reluctant to trust one to keep me in the air in a helicopter, though that being said if a large fuel injected vw engine were to be stripped down and made as light as possible it could be feasibly done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannoT wrote:
Its fun to think about a vw powered helicopter, people have been using air cooled 2 and 4 cylinder vw engines in experimental airplanes for years but making an airplane fly vs a helicopter fly are two completely different subjects. To make a halfway decent helicopter the engine should be able to put out at least 120hp which would require a performance vw engine running at the top of it's rpm band for long periods of time. An airplane needs maximum performance for its take off and climb out while a helicopter requires it for hovering, take off, climbing and cruise flight at altitude and speed. Vw engines are more suited for planes and gyroplanes but I would be reluctant to trust one to keep me in the air in a helicopter, though that being said if a large fuel injected vw engine were to be stripped down and made as light as possible it could be feasibly done.

I'm with you on that. An air plane can glide if the engine stalls out, but when you suck that #3 valve in a helicopter, you're going straight down! No thanks!
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
DannoT wrote:

I'm with you on that. An air plane can glide if the engine stalls out, but when you suck that #3 valve in a helicopter, you're going straight down! No thanks!

Not in a gyrocopter like Campingbox posted, but in a heli, yes.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people don't know the difference, i guess

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

true. A pilot can auto-rotate a heli to make an impromptu gyorcopter, but the results can be less than desirous. A gyro is actually an amazing feat of flight.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pilot told me helicopter's never land it's more of a controlled crash.

I was a uh-60 repairer, after working on helicopter's I can tell you there is no way I'd fly in one of these shown above.
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

Boobs!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a well known saying in the aviation industry that you could here from any good pilot that an airplane wants to fly and it takes an idiot to crash one, and a helicopter wants to crash and it takes an idiot to fly one Laughing
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can land a rotary winged aircraft with an engine out no problem. In fact its part of the certification and recertification of military pilots.

The only thing that needs to happen is an automatic clutch that will allow the blades to still freely rotate if the engine or transmission should fail and seize. Then the auto gyro effect works, its like wind blowing through a fan when you free fall through the air it keeps the rotor speed up to normal operating parameters. You simply pull up on the collective and you can safely and smoothly land a helicopter without engine power.

Auto gyros on the other hand have a terrible safety record, but you can build one cheaply and use a motorcycle or snowmobile engine to power it.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
You can land a rotary winged aircraft with an engine out no problem. In fact its part of the certification and recertification of military pilots.

The only thing that needs to happen is an automatic clutch that will allow the blades to still freely rotate if the engine or transmission should fail and seize. Then the auto gyro effect works, its like wind blowing through a fan when you free fall through the air it keeps the rotor speed up to normal operating parameters. You simply pull up on the collective and you can safely and smoothly land a helicopter without engine power.

Auto gyros on the other hand have a terrible safety record, but you can build one cheaply and use a motorcycle or snowmobile engine to power it.

cdennisg wrote:
mandraks wrote:

true. A pilot can auto-rotate a heli to make an impromptu gyorcopter, but the results can be less than desirous. A gyro is actually an amazing feat of flight.

A helicopter in auto-rotation mode is a compromise, and is rarely smooth. Yes, it is a necessary skill to learn to obtain your rotary license, but it is pretty rare to land smoothly. Here is a good example of an auto-rotation landing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvMcsJTOYI0

A smoother auto rotate, but they don't actually land. Just practicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWw5U3eCok
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to read the Bob Hoover "sermons". For those unfamiliar, Bob was a technical writer, a builder of vw's and vw engines both for the road and for the air. He was a pilot and a brilliant self taught engineer.

In one of his sermons, he described how the vw air cooled engine was just barely able to cool itself. He went on to explain that at higher atmospheres, were the air is thinner, it has an even more difficult time. And though they make good airplane engines, cooling it properly is always a problem.

Now, knowing all of this, it would seem very foolhardy to me to use one for a helicopter. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: