Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help needed
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: help needed Reply with quote

I bought a speedster replica off the samba from a member in new jersey and had it shipped to me in PA and when it arrived there was no title where he said it was only a stack of insurance cards and when I contacted him he said he would apply for a duplite for me but since have lost contact I emailed him many times but never heard back. Any ideas on how to get a hold of him or the title would be awesome besides emailing him I called the insurance company which tried to contact him on my behalf when I told them what happened but I haven't heard from him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the police could help you ? Hopefully you have some records of the purchase .
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think pa or nj police? And yes I do have the receip
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't have it. Make sure you contact Everett and get his ads suspended if he has any others. At worst it will keep someone else from getting screwed, at best it might light a fire under him and you might get a title. For something.

Good luck.
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had to have at some point because there were several insurance cards in the car and he is stll a current customer of the same insurance company
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were in California you would just tell the DMV that he lost the title. They would run the number to make sure it isn't stolen then issue you a new title in your name.

Have you checked with the PA or maybe NJ state DMV to see if they require you to have the old title and that a Bill of Sale from the seller won't suffice?

First thing I'd do is just check the serial number with the DMV to see if it was stolen. Tell them you're thinking about buying a car from NJ with a lost title, give them the serial number. See what they say
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately pa requires a title and nj is a titled state too if it were from ny all I would need is an old registration but I don't have that either. Itks weird though because we had been in contact and he was really about it saying he looked into it and can get a duplicate without any hassles then some time went by and he now doesn't answer my emails. His insurance company has been helpful in contacting him for me several times by leaving him voice mails. But unfortunatelt he doesn't answer and I don't have his phone number. !eing that its a kit car there are different ways it can be titled like as a vw or a rec vehicle so worst case maybe I could buy a bug parts car with title and chasis/vin I'd's , not sure how kosher but actually that's how many are originally built on the bug pan. +r someone told me that vermont issues registrations , but yes first things first to confirm its not stolen and/ it's status in the nj system.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vehicle without a title is just a bunch of used parts. I would send him a stern registered letter demanding the title within 10 days or your $ back. That or pay him a visit - you both could go to DMV and you'd walk away with title in hand - perhaps even in your name.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I try to pick up my cars in person - to make sure all the paperwork is in order. Regardless, it sounds like you got the short end of the deal: he never had a title. HOWEVER... if you have a bill of sale that should be the only thing you need for PA, since PA requires any kit or buggy to now go through the enhanced inspection routine, which re-issues a VIN number and a new title. Having the original title helps in the paperwork trail, but you can most likely get away without it. Talk to your nearest enhanced station to see what they will need, and look here: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/enhancedsafetyinspection.shtml
Yours would fall under the 'special construction' category.
bruces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he had it insured ,it sounds like he had a title for it at some time which should make things fairly simple if you can get ahold of him again .Hopefully he sees your thread and does the right thing .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: