Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hard top weight
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: hard top weight Reply with quote

I had planned on conscripting my brothers-in-law and nephew to help take the hard top off of Thing and onto its cart in storage last Sunday. I didn't do it because all family members were engrossed with serious matters and fond remembrances of my father-in-law who recently passed away.

So, the top still needs to come off.

My wife and I wrestled with the cap off of our Rabbit Pickup some years back, and clearly the Thing top is heavier. I think the two of us plus our 23-year old daughter and her boyfriend can do it. My wife thinks it is too heavy.

I have average strength. My wife and daughter have a certain toughness about them but they are somewhat slight at 5'4" and 5'3".

Am I endanger of the top crashing onto Thing because it is too imposing for the four of us to handle?
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the web:
Fiberglass and glass hard top for VW Thing.
Length: 7 ft 0 in
Width: 4 ft 6 in
Height: 2ft 0 in
Weight: 100 lbs

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lifted mine off by myself several times. I climb into the car, unbolt and unclip the top, and then lean over the front seat. Reaching out my arms (I have a nearly 7' reach side to side), I grab the rails on the edge and then stand up, lifting the top off the car. I then lean back, which puts it back over the rear, so it's absolutely free of the lip on which it rests. I then walk out of the car, while holding the front up until I get out of the car, lowering it gently down to rest on the steering wheel. I then walk around to the rear and grab the heavy rear section of the top, lift and then pull it back, letting the front of the top reat on the top of the front seats. I then do a shifting of its weight, bringing the front of the top up and completely off the car, while holding it by the rails. I then lower it down to the ground, resting on the rear edge. Once it's on the ground, I move it with a hand truck to a corner for storage.

It's a LOT easier with two people. I wouldn't suggest using more than two people, as you'll be bumping into each other.

If you can't find a second person, I'd suggest using a kayak hoist or something similar to lift it off the car.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that some folks have rigged up a hoist of sorts on their garages.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 lbs? Maybe its bulk made me think it was heavier when I was fitting it on correctly. (The knucklehead who transported it had it cockeyed and secured with two measly bolts.)

The hoist is nice but unfortunately the house we moved to does not have a garage -- my one requirement that got forsaken. I do have a drive in storage area I rent for it and the excess goodies we didn't toss before the move. I won't be constructing anything that elaborate there. I'll be just using a top cart I "won" on eBay.

Sounds like I can conscript my daughter's boyfriend and have my wife and daughter there just in case. Then, we'll go for a no top ride until I get the softy on board.

Thanks for the info!
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lid (that I never use anymore) is a fiberjet. I got pretty good at taking it off and on by myself...physics.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife (4’ 10”) and daughter (5’) are and I (5’7”) used to lift the factory hardtop with steel side supports in-place off the car every spring. After unbolting the top with the front latches released but still with the retainers in place, my daughter and wife lifted at the rear corners as I lifted from the rear center. Once the got a good hold on the rear, I went inside the car and we walked the top off the back of the car. I set the front edge of the top on the far rear edge of the car. Then I stepped outside and we lifted the top off the rear of the car and set the top on its (very simple) cradle (constructed from 2"x4”s) for the season. Using this system we never had to stretch or strain. The top on its cradle also doubled as a great storage area for various in-progress projects. There are also loads of folks who have built a winch that hangs from the rafters of inside their storage building.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, building a winch ... it took me loads of time and my entire down-by-the-docks vocabulary to build the top cart ... but it's built! Laughing

This is from an eBay ad. This is essentially what I built:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit: This pic shows angled little bars from the upright back to the base that is parallel to the floor. Mine does not have these, but it does have two cross members across the base as well as across the back.

FWIW, everyone's instructions on how to do it is much more clear than the rubbish piece of paper that came with this cart. Hopefully, I'll have some genuine pics to show the happy results or the damage. Wink
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Okay, then. A two part delay.

One was getting the bolts off. That delay was annoying but has a solution. I need the right tool for the right job.

The other part I'm not so sure about. The stand on wheels seems to be intended for smaller tops than the Thing top. One possible solution is to place the top 180 degrees about as in the pic above -- that is, instead of the top of the top being against the high cross bar, having the inside of the top of the top against the high cross bar. From the above view, one would see the inside.

However, I'm not overly confident that will work. So, next question ...

Would I be risking (or guaranteeing) damage to the top if I propped it up against the back wall of storage?

I would use rugs and such so it wouldn't get scraped. I'm just wondering if the back glass or the entire back panel would crack by bearing the weight. Having it take up space by being in its normal position but on the ground is not an option.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
Would I be risking (or guaranteeing) damage to the top if I propped it up against the back wall of storage?

I'm a little surprised no one has experience or an opinion on this.

Maybe I can trade the top for some work. Think
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasis,
Have you tried setting the top in the rack as described? If so how does it feel?

Sounds like that hard top is more trouble than it is worth.
Maybe sell it and get a soft top.
hwyellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
:

:

I'm not saying this is proper top storage, but i've always just laid mind on a side against the wall. The fiberglass flexes a little but not bad. I've thrown around the idea of selling it and getting a soft top as it is a PITA to remove and store.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned both, I would say the factory vwoa top is much heavier than the fiber jet that I have now, actual weight unknown, atleast a two person job to remove or put on
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
Have you tried setting the top in the rack as described? If so how does it feel?

Not yet. I was thwarted in my efforts earlier this week in trying to take the bolts out. The ratchet/socket set is piecemeal and the wrenches I have are all long-handled. So, I only got half of them off.

Last night, I endured a three-hour drive home from work in the monsoon with a tornado watch and bought a set worthy of someone who knows what they're doing -- which 90% of the time won't be me.

My observations earlier in the week was just me eyeballing the rack near Thing. My one and only tape measure was left at home as I was not expecting to need it. The rack looks like it is more suitable for tops from a little T-Bird, Mercedes, Miata, and the like. It might still work by inverting it.

surfarii wrote:
Sounds like that hard top is more trouble than it is worth.
Maybe sell it and get a soft top.

That's what really is chapping my rear bumper. It had the soft top on it when I bought it. It was taken off and placed inside for transport with the hard top then installed. If I knew then what I know now, I would have told the seller to keep his hard top.

If I get the hard top stored properly, I will try to sell it. If it becomes too problematic, I may give it away in some elementary trade.

Tonight, I will look at what I might be able to do in hanging it on the back wall of the storage unit. Hopefully, that set-up won't be as involved as a hoist. We'll see. Maybe the rack will work after all.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my friend is scrapping a Jetta, and have me the small rear wing that was on it, I'm going to mount it on my hardtop. Think of the downforce, and the cool factor, yes I make myself laugh
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the assembled rack. There's enough Thing in the pic to give you an idea it has a good chance of not working.

There are two hooks on the side wall (hard to see, sorry) I was trying to think of a way to utilize so I could rope the top there against the wall.

Having a hoist like some people Have (very nice) just isn't feasible with a rental unit that has a somewhat low ceiling and this pipe in the middle.

I may be destined to sell the hard top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: