Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio into my wife's 69 beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbug86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Radio into my wife's 69 beetle Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
SO I reciently purchased a 1969 beetle in VERY good condition for my wife. Unfortunetly the factory radio does not work, and I was hopeing to install a new radio into the glove box. The first problem I have encountered is how in the world do you get the factory radio out? This is my first beetle and I "m a serious NOOB at doing any kind of work on it. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) There will be speaker, power and antenna connections that need to be undone from the back. There will also be a support bracket.

2) Pull the volume and tuner knobs off the front of the radio. Then remove the nuts. At this point the front face plate should come off and the radio should pull out. There will likely be spring loaded clips on the radio that you will have to push on. At this point you will have a large hole in the dash.

Some people will just leave the factory radio in the car and add a modern one in the glove compartment. There are retro radios available or check the Samba classifieds for a good original 12 volt radio.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it is held by two spring clips behind the dash on the sides of the unit, but first I suggest you browse the radio manuals archive in the technical section of thesamba to see if the specific one for your radio is available. If you have doubts, post pics.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
kbug86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
1) There will be speaker, power and antenna connections that need to be undone from the back. There will also be a support bracket.

2) Pull the volume and tuner knobs off the front of the radio. Then remove the nuts. At this point the front face plate should come off and the radio should pull out. There will likely be spring loaded clips on the radio that you will have to push on. At this point you will have a large hole in the dash.

Some people will just leave the factory radio in the car and add a modern one in the glove compartment. There are retro radios available or check the Samba classifieds for a good original 12 volt radio.

Thank you wayne1230cars!
The speaker, power and antenna connection? Are they accessiable from the trunk? I planned on getting a wood dash kit from a vender in the classifieds with options for gauges in the radio delete hole. I'm hoping to run with an oil temp and a clock if I can find vintage looking gauges.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring connections are in the trunk. They'll be behind the wiring cover (if your car still has one).
mrbigmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a typical shot of what your gonna see behind the dash. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/sapphire_xii_install/install2.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: